My 2ft x 1ft x 1ft Nano

reckless

• SRC Member

Where is favourite store that u get the corals?maybe,we can meet

Up with my reefer friend and get together for a coffee before heading to LSF???

-Main Display Tank : 2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft c/w sump tank cabinet (Set up by aquarium artist)

-Lightings : 4 sets of 1.5ft mini aqua lumen LED lights (7 high power led 15W)

-Chiller: 1/4HP artica chiller with a standby of HC-100A

-Skimmer : Bubble Magnus 3 (cone)

-Phosphate Reactor

-NP Bio-pellet D&D onceanic hang-on reactor

-Wavemaker : MP10

-Temperature mointor : American Wireless pinpoint thermometer

• SRC Member

haha yeah... was playing and trying my macro shot skills from my camera... cannot make it lor... everything off focus.. need to use tripod...

Yeap, using tripod better...:) what lens are u using?:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi bro, im starting a 1.5ft nano tank too... I am really impressed by your tank!!! I intend to keep some corals, clowns and shrimp. I really need some help here cos im totally new to reefing. Im getting a ios tank due to space constraint, i really cant get a external filter like yours. So i have to get a ios.... Is the seachem you talking about, seachem gel and seachem denitrate?Im loss as to what goes in the the inbuilt sump at the back of the tank, its seperated into three compartments. So, can i do it like what you did? Wool, bio ring and coral chips in the first compartment, then seachem gel and denitrate in two bags go in the second compartment and then i put in a mini dymax protein skimmer and overhead pump at the last compartment. Can this setup be ok? I have a resun cl280 too which i hope my powerhead can feed it then back to compartment 3. Please advice as im getting worried if my will work or not... Thanks alot bro! You tank and photos are amazing!!!

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

• 1 month later...

thanks all for the compliments! :)

bro slayer, for your ios, i think bio rings is good for the start but do remove them after a few months or when the tank's water parameter is stable.for a newcomer, I think best to go as simple as possible - mechanical filtration, good protein skimmer - if possible, over-skim your tank and lastly weekly regular water changes.

As for my current tank (RSM 130D with diy overflow to my own simple sump tank)the IOS compartment of the tank only has the skimmer, water goes down to the sump, pass the filtration wool for mechanical and the rest i leave it to the bacteria in the tank,my Deep sand bed and filter sock filled with carbon to do the job before water is pumped back into the IOS of the display tank. Thats all to it.

Just be patient and DON'T ADD ANY FISH OR CORALS when you have just started running the tank. be a responsible reefer :)

- as for Seachems denitrator and other things to add in the sump... i just think one can add so many things in the tank to filter out waste but its still no substitute for water changes.

btw my tank is currently using the aquastyle LED light system. - you can read it in another post in the DIY section.

lastly, do open a new post to update the progress of your tank! :)))

welcome to reefing bro!

The Best Way Is To Keep It Simple.

• SRC Member

nice tank bro. :welldone:

noticed u using cannister filter. how frequent do u clean it? Any change in nutrients level if u miss the cleaning schedule?

:ThanxSmiley:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

hi bro, yup i WAS using cannister filter. i clean it once every month. theres a downside to it though... cleaning it is a pain in the ###### and somehow i think it contributes alot to high nitrate levels if you miss a cleaning schedule.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, its been awhile since i last updated this thread.... busy due to moving house and welcoming new member to my now family of 3 :)

manage to squeeze in some time to upload a picture of my two paired clowns and the zoa frags that they now host. the frag itself was actually just a mere 10 polyp frags that i've got and it has grown and spread.

sorry the quality is not so good coz it was taken from my Galaxy Nexus.

301868_451929551502971_100000577890369_1594001_998341720_n.jpg

Also, a new addition to the tank.

485810_451928074836452_100000577890369_1593993_1021332634_n.jpg

Some mini ewels i got from irwana for a dollar each :)

524989_451928174836442_322380648_n.jpg

Oh btw, my current tank is no longer the 2x1x1 but instead its the RSM with Aquastyle LEDs and DIY overflow to sump with DSB.

Cheers!!!

Congrats for the new additions: kid, corals n tank

Any pic of diy overflow to sump?

hi there bro! thanks!

well its not really those wow wow or properly made with box :blush: like how other bros have done. its basically just those blue color inverted "J" big pipe u can get at LFS with a shut off valve. Tested it and no overflow of either main tank or sump during power cut. Good enough for me.

Will try to take photo and vid if possible when and if i can find the time to and share it here :)

Seriously its not a proper or nicely done so don't expect something nice hehe...but it does the job and the concept works ever since i used it months ago.

• SRC Member

Me think the LED strip is from Sim Lim Tower 3rd floor right?

For the Super Bright strips if im not wrong is $12 Per meter. White Base With Silicone for water proofing. I'm using it for my motobike right now. :P

There is a better alternative. There is a LED bulb there which is super duper bright (Brighter than HID). $24 per bulb. 5w or 10w cant remember.. Its very very bright. Its displayed as a sample at the counter.. check it out... do need a heat sink fan tho.. You can even add Lens To brighten it up futher additional bigger angle.

I'll be making one to0 by using LED strips n Bulbs.. I will post at SRC if its done.

Teh'sTankSetup Decomm on 18/8/2012

Tank: 2x1x1 Rimless Tank (Sumpless)

Lighting: Aquazonic 2x24watts T5 (Actinic x Sun White)

Moonlight: Acardia 1W Led Light (Blue)

Filter: ISTA Max Care Cannister

Skimmer: Bubble Magus E3

Chiller: Resun CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Wave: Boyu WM-25

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Tank: 3x2x2.5

Lighting: 250w DeLighting MH/ 2x 39w Delighting Diy T5 ATI Blue Plus

Skimmer: H&S Skimmer Type 110-F2000

Chiller: CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Reactor: D&D H2Ocean FMR 75 (ADA 1500 Pump)(Rowaphos)

Wavemaker: 2x SunSun Wavemaker (3000L)

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

ATO System/Tunze Osmolator

Magic Marine 3CH Dosing Pump

hey bro, Sim Lim sure does have A LOT of varieties of LEDs but and i initially replaced the stock T5 lightings on my RSM with the LED strips i bought from SL. Too bad the LEDs didnt perform as good as it was on my 2x1x1 tank (no surprise coz it was not able to penetrate deeper due to the deeper depth of the RSM). My corals were not getting enough light and not opening up as big.

Decided to source out for stronger ones and found the alternative for maxspect. - Aquastyle. Hong Kong based. A decent 36 X 3W cost me $290 (all in) - LEDs, Drivers, Lens, 32inch Heat Sink, Fan, wirings etc. with shipping. Review wise, had to set the power to about only 1/3 of the full power coz at full, corals start to bleach. So far the best move i've made.

The LEDs you mentioned sounds interesting! do start a thread and share with us!

• SRC Member

Hi John, the LED u mentioned are the chip on board (COB) LEDs. Yes super bright. I'm tempted to custom make 1 too, if not for the Aquastyle LED option available at similar prices.

Hi Reckless, care to share more on the Aquastyle LED? I want to order it but I'm doubtful of my soldering skills. May I view your set at your convenience?