Are we ready to move on?

blueheaven

Guys, SRC is in its third year now and we have gone through calm and rough times. I think it is time for us to move on from a forum where beginners ask questions and the experienced answer them.

Let us move on to discussing controversial reefkeeping methodologies and more of topics that call for discussion and not just question and answer.

And I do hope that regular club meetings would materialise so as to bring the standard of reefkeeping in Singapore to a higher level :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Guys, SRC is in its third year now and we have gone through calm and rough times. I think it is time for us to move on from a forum where beginners ask questions and the experienced answer them.

Let us move on to discussing controversial reefkeeping methodologies and more of topics that call for discussion and not just question and answer.

And I do hope that regular club meetings would materialise so as to bring the standard of reefkeeping in Singapore to a higher level :lol:

:D

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

You seemed to have forgotten the very fundamental reason why SRC was formed?

Its a site where newbies and those interested in setting up a marine tank can learn,ask newbie questions, get laymen answers. It was set up to educate the public about the pains and joys of having a marine tank.

You want a newbie to come in and read all about your "controversial reefkeeping methodologies"? He will probably be turned off and forget about reefing altogether.

Please, i dun even have the patience to read thru that SandBed article that you came up with last time...

<_<

ps : we do hold regular club meetings thou its unofficial....no point being a "NATO" person...seems that you have been pushing for club meetings for a long while...but i dun see you organising one?

• SRC Member

Its a site where newbies and those interested in setting up a marine tank can learn,ask newbie questions, get laymen answers. It was set up to educate the public about the pains and joys of having a marine tank.

You want a newbie to come in and read all about your "controversial reefkeeping methodologies"? He will probably be turned off and forget about reefing altogether.

Please, i dun even have the patience to read thru that SandBed article that you came up with last time...

<_<

ps : we do hold regular club meetings thou its unofficial....no point being a "NATO" person...seems that you have been pushing for club meetings for a long while...but i dun see you organising one?

bro...relax... :D

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

bro...relax... :D

actually...bro diablous has a point there too... :D

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

• SRC Member

<_<

:lol: Thats a damn bloody good one (the answer of course)!!!

Perhaps can have a sub - For advance members only (i will surely be out)

PS: No offence to Blueheaven

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

I sure don't mind having something more substantial to find out about the new technologies and methodologies about reefings. Not that I am very advance, but I am definitely interested in finding out more about the other possibilities about reef keeping.

We definitely do not have to sacrifice one of the primary role of this forum to initiate the new reefers, but having something like what blueheaven has suggested may keep some of the more experience reefers in the forum.

As for forum meetings, I am not entirely for it. We all have our commitments:work, family, lovers, fish tank, LFS hopping, LS hunting. As of now, I hardly have time to appreiciate my tank :D. I think we can still engage in meaningful discussion within the forum where all of us can manage our time as we pleases.

One thing I do have difficulties is finding appropriate validated articles in the internet. There are a wealth of information, but let's face it, what is written in some websites are not entirely true, probably with certain constraints/conditions not stated. It would be good if discussion can be done with proper research papers.

• SRC Member

<_<

wah fierce sia

but honestly, try not to scare off the new reefers with your theories...

post-5-1121839330.gif

• SRC Member

i tot we already had a dept. under the "sps and advanced reefkeeping" here rite? You could have your discussion there. I am sure BOSS wouldn't mind. ;)

Newbies will always ask questions, so to clear doubts and learn. Ain't we all been thru that when we started??

Long time ago some kind soul pass those knowledge to us, now its our turn to pass this piece of knowledge to the new comers.

even in RC expert forum, the bulk of the threads still contains QnA lor..

theory is important, but its practices and experiences that runs a beautiful tank. ....... unfortunately its not my tank :(

Keep the comments coming guys :lol:

Anyway, yes I do hope to organise meetings but I cannot organise official meetings until the mods and AT have agreed.

And yes, I am aware of the advanced reefkeeping forum but what I meant was that since everyone else is asking almost the same questions repeatedly, it had sort of defeated our purpose as a club.

Check out other overseas reefing societies and you will know what I mean. Anthony Calfo had also somehow "warned" us that if we are not going to bond together as a reef club, it would most certainly be detrimental.

I do have hopes and ambitions for the reef club not just to educate new hobbyists who have just started this wonderful hobby but also to further discuss much more interesting topics, some which none of us have tried before :lol:

• SRC Member
Check out other overseas reefing societies and you will know what I mean.

The west side reefers (including some from the north,east like Dr Evil, Typrobin,Muar Chee, DA etc) meets up on the average at least once a month...

All other reefers are welcome to join us (klim and a few others have done dat)

can you name me a few "overseas reefing societies" that have meetups as frequent as that? but then, given that we did not "have" the mods or AT's approval, it cannot be classified as a "official" club meeting :P

Anthony Calfo had also somehow "warned" us that if we are not going to bond together as a reef club, it would most certainly be detrimental.

I'd be amazed that Anthony said that. May i know where or when did you quote him on this from?

• SRC Member

so what happens to those ppl who are noobie anymore ? wat they do ... you saying you that src was to just get new people to start a marine tank then quit after they are bored of it ? i thought src was always made for everyone to help each other and make this hobby ever lasting ....

i think blue just trying to say that after a few years or less people get bored ... thats why you might want to add these extra stuff like meetings and try new ways of doing reefing or something to make this hobby ever lasting ...

i know a few ppl after 1 year cant be bothered looking at src cause there is nothing new its basicly old stuff repeating itself ....

australia (rtaw) has small groups for each state and we have offical meetings ever month maybe even 2 for outings and we have alot of unoffical meetings too ... but i have to say australia reefing community is very very small compare to singapore.

anyway thats all i can think about atm

• SRC Member
so what happens to those ppl who are noobie anymore ? wat they do ... you saying you that src was to just get new people to start a marine tank then quit after they are bored of it ? i thought src was always made for everyone to help each other and make this hobby ever lasting ...

Sorry, but your paragraph is really incomprehensible. when did i say that SRC was to just get new people to start a marine tank then quit after they are bored of it ? pls justify...

i think blue just trying to say that after a few years or less people get bored ... thats why you might want to add these extra stuff like meetings and try new ways of doing reefing or something to make this hobby ever lasting ...

Well by all means go ahead...meetings we do have, but BH hints that since we do not have AT or the mod's approval, its not official. New ways of doing reefing? yah...add sugar, add salt, add vinegar, add soya sauce, so wat else is lacking?? mayo? ;)

i know a few ppl after 1 year cant be bothered looking at src cause there is nothing new its basicly old stuff repeating itself ....

ya, stuff like " you can read my write up on SandBed" or "Aq*am*rin is the best!", Ja**t is the prettiest lady" etc etc. i really cannot be bothered.

australia (rtaw) has small groups for each state and we have offical meetings ever month maybe even 2 for outings and we have alot of unoffical meetings too ... but i have to say australia reefing community is very very small compare to singapore.

Good, maybe you can get BH to join you there.

Come on guys, cool down and relax

The thing here is that I am just stating a suggestion for our club to improve

Firstly, Anthony did say that during the closing down of our booth and I am sure those present would agree with what he said.

And bro Diabolus, I am not only hinting that the meetings conducted are not official but in actual fact it isn't. I am looking at at least a meeting every month to visit member's tanks and sit down and discuss about reefkeeping. I am sure many of us have lots to tell :lol:

And my focal point of new reefkeeping methods is not the sugar stuff but more of like Zeovit and cryptic refugiums or even new photography techniques.

I do agree with ciaolong that SRC will begin to become boring after a while as ppl are asking the same thing all over again. I believe that the main idea of SRC is not only to help out new reefers but also more importantly to promote responsible reefkeeping.

And as for meetings, I am sure that although not everyone can attend one but it would be great to hold large scale frag swaps and raffles.

After all that, I would also want to sincerely ask that posters try to refrain to using words which are too insulting or aggresive.

I started this thread just so that ppl can share their views on the suggestions stated or give their own suggestion. Something like if you do not want meetings, why not and if you do want meetings, how do you want it to be.

Lets not compicate things here and keep this thread clean onwards ok? :lol:

• SRC Member
it would be great to hold large scale frag swaps and raffles.

this really depends on the individual reefers whether he wants to frag wad..organising frag exchanges does not means that every reefe must give out a frag from their reef.. both parties must agree..no point holding a large scale frag exchange when reefers here are not happy with it...

jus my 2 cents.. :D

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

• SRC Member

Well I will only comment on the meetups as people got personal agenda when brands prop up.

BH, I understand where you are coming from. But as a student, you may not understand how busy working adults are, especially those with families to attend to. Organising such an event that will potentially gather a couple dozens of people requires some sort of coordination, which many don't have the time nor effort. Not to mention to apply for a license from the police.

In addition, I find that in the so called westies meeting, we do share valuable information regarding reefing and we do frag for each other, NOT the blue suncoral thingy, even if I come with nothing.

You got a good idea, but in Singapore... hard lah. (Not living in Singapore one can STFU)

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

I know that there are a lot of very experienced reefers in singapore who NEVER even logon to SRC before. I saw one tank using only using airstone and the corals and fishes are all flourishing.

I believe if the hobby is to grow in Singapore, we will need to attract these folks to contribute.

• SRC Member
Ja**t is the prettiest lady" etc etc. i really cannot be bothered.

eh but she is what :eyebrow:

and BH, why don't you just go ahead and start arranging some meeting? Why does it need to have AT's approval before it can go ahead? You could gather some momentum first, and if it appears that enough people are interested in something more official, I'm sure AT will take notice and get involved. At this point nothing has materialised so you can't blame him for not devoting much bandwidth to dealing with this.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

Finally some constructive comments are in... :D

I would want to organise these meetings but currently, I am constrained by 2 factors. Firstly, I am still a student and would not have the knowledge and experience to host such big gatherings. Secondly, I am taking my major exams this year and due to the much increased workload, I cannot spend time on this.

I would also want to bring our views to ozy's post that many reefers are not aware of SRC. According to what he said, it does sound quite interesting to know that someone has success by just using an airstone isn't it? :lol:

And I do have a long long long break after the exams so we'll see what I can do.

• SRC Member
I would also want to bring our views to ozy's post that many reefers are not aware of SRC. According to what he said, it does sound quite interesting to know that someone has success by just using an airstone isn't it? :lol:

Many expert local reefers knows about SRC.... but what is beneficial to them here? They are more knowledgable than most of us here, thus don't need to know basic or intermediate kinda information and certainly don't feel like showing off their precious stuffs so that members here will jam pack their pm box asking for a frag. In fact if you ask established LFS, many got regular customers for many years but know they don't come to SRC. If they really need information, foreign websites provide a sea of information as oppose to a tank of SRC.

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

Spot on bro!!

That's why I think that the content in SRC is too monotonous. There are many many many interesting stuff about reefkeeping to be discussed on!!! :lol:

Since starting SRC in 2002 and now being 2005... a lot of things have transpired and changed. We have been through a lot and as much as there are many peaks, there are many downturns as well.

A lot of friendships have been made thru this community club and quite a few friendships have been strained and broken too. It is part of human interaction and representative of society.

The club revolves around a common interest: reefing as a hobby.

Individually, we cannot predict how long we will or can contribute as part of this reefing community for the months or years ahead. Old timers get tired, move on and new blood will have to lead the 2nd wave and that's how things keep alive.

The way I see it, the more enthusiastic amongst us would be the ones to keep the wheels turning. But I sincerely hope to see that wisdom, maturity and a caring attitude will accompany such enthusiasm.

If BH represents the next generation, I know that he can help keep the wave going. He may be young and sometimes overly enthusiastic to the point of idealistic mayhem, but his intentions are generally good although usually misinterpreted otherwise. I say we cut him some slack and perhaps the wiser and more matured amongst us can guide his energy to good use?

Many of us working adults have priorities that takes us away from this time-consuming hobby and perhaps the time needed to keep interacting online may not be consistent. (Heck, I know that I am currently in such a state). ;)

Back to his suggestion on advanced topics, meetings etc...

Personally, I feel that the hobby has reached a state where technology and methodology are so advanced till there's really nothing much to talk about anymore.

Advanced topics are something that local reefers may not be totally qualified to comment on, discuss and dissect unlike RC where you have marine biologists, chemists, engineers, professionals etc who know what they are talking about, are fluent and objective in debating the finer points without breaking into virtual fistfights, sarcastic war of words and grudges that we Asian egos are prone to.

But even than, issues like Zeovit with fanatical believers and disbelievers alike has even caused such a big split in Reef Central!

Managing an online community is not easy and managing a physical club is sure hell not easy too.

But by all means, go ahead and organise meetings to discuss reefing! Just to back up BH, Anthony Calfo did say that it is vital for clubs to physically meet up regularly and perhaps even have a committee to look into such things.

The big question is: are we sincerely ready to take up that commitment??

I saw it twice in 2 Aquaramas - when it comes down to the crunch... everybody disappears. NATO. BH was one of those who was committed to the manning the SRC booth and for that he has earned my respect. He showed a lot of initiative to step forward and not wait for instructions.

So do cut him some slack and let's hear what he has to say first without cutting him down. Thanks everyone.

My 2 cents,

AT

• SRC Member

Wow...you really know how to channel/guide his energy :lol:

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

The west side reefers (including some from the north,east like Dr Evil, Typrobin,Muar Chee, DA etc) meets up on the average at least once a month...

All other reefers are welcome to join us (klim and a few others have done dat)

can you name me a few "overseas reefing societies" that have meetups as frequent as that? but then, given that we did not "have" the mods or AT's approval, it cannot be classified as a "official" club meeting :P

I'd be amazed that Anthony said that. May i know where or when did you quote him on this from?

so what happens to those ppl who are noobie anymore ? wat they do ... you saying you that src was to just get new people to start a marine tank then quit after they are bored of it ? i thought src was always made for everyone to help each other and make this hobby ever lasting ...

Sorry, but your paragraph is really incomprehensible. when did i say that SRC was to just get new people to start a marine tank then quit after they are bored of it ? pls justify...

Well by all means go ahead...meetings we do have, but BH hints that since we do not have AT or the mod's approval, its not official. New ways of doing reefing? yah...add sugar, add salt, add vinegar, add soya sauce, so wat else is lacking?? mayo?

ya, stuff like " you can read my write up on SandBed" or "Aq*am*rin is the best!", Ja**t is the prettiest lady" etc etc. i really cannot be bothered.

Good, maybe you can get BH to join you there

It's people like you that will keep newie away. Everything you said in here is so offensive. Who had stepped on you tail?? The "TONE" of your message...... The use of words......How serious you are in making these statement??? :evil: Is there a motive behind??? <_<

Can we be more friendly? :D

HB,

Keep the suggestion coming. At least you suggesting something good to the club. :thanks: