Risks for not changing water

• SRC Member

I know it is good practice to change the water once a month even when the live stock is not falling sick.

I have started my 3ft tank back in June/July 2011, cycled for 2 months before introducing live stock.

And I have not changed water at all, just do topping up. Everything has been smooth sailing with no diseases and the live stock is pretty happy...

But, I do like to hear from fellow reefers on the risks involved (from experiences)...

My live stock:

1 x Volitan, 1 x Spotted Lion, 1 x spiny lobster, 2 x purple reef lobsters, 4 x pom pom crabs, 2 x urchins, 1 x sandstar, 1 x nassarius snail, 2 x cardinal and 2 x damsels and 2 x chromis. Dun ask me how they can live together, but I guessed a well-fed lion is a happy and peaceful lion. About 80kg of live rocks.

post-19465-0-45185600-1315914866_thumb.j

When you top-up, do you just use tap water treated with anti-chlorine or do you have to mix it with salt?

And correct me if I am wrong, but for water change of say 20% you have to use salt-mixed water after anti-chlorine treatment. Is this right? I am asking this in relation to just using treated tap water.

For both questions I am not using RO/DI treatment as I understand that PUB's tap water is good enough for FOWLR. There is very little nitrates (checked by using a test strip) and the anti-chlorine also helps to neutralise heavy metals (as claimed by the manufacturer).

Tips and resources on maintaining a thriving marine reef aquarium.

• SRC Member

When you top-up, do you just use tap water treated with anti-chlorine or do you have to mix it with salt?

And correct me if I am wrong, but for water change of say 20% you have to use salt-mixed water after anti-chlorine treatment. Is this right? I am asking this in relation to just using treated tap water.

For both questions I am not using RO/DI treatment as I understand that PUB's tap water is good enough for FOWLR. There is very little nitrates (checked by using a test strip) and the anti-chlorine also helps to neutralise heavy metals (as claimed by the manufacturer).

Use tap water is a no no for reefing..

• SRC Member

Hi Keith,

I use only bottled distilled water (19L) for water change without adding salt. The salinity is measured everytime during top up and kept within the desirable range.

Previously used tap water, added salt and chromine removals but the algea growth was too fast. After switching to distilled water, the algae growth slowed down significantly.

Hi Keith,

I use only bottled distilled water (19L) for water change without adding salt. The salinity is measured everytime during top up and kept within the desirable range.

Previously used tap water, added salt and chromine removals but the algea growth was too fast. After switching to distilled water, the algae growth slowed down significantly.

where can you buy one of these 19L bottled distilled water? You're not adding salt during water change (about 20%)? Why?

• SRC Member

where can you buy one of these 19L bottled distilled water? You're not adding salt during water change (about 20%)? Why?

I'm getting from Patrick whom is selling at $6 per bottle and he deliver right to your door steps punctually (so far).

On top of that, I paid a deposit of $60 for the bottles because they are recyclable and he would return the deposit when you return the bottles and terminate the account later on. Price inclusive of delivery costs.

His contacts:

Like I mentioned, I do not change water at all. Just top up every week.

The salt does not evaporate, hence, no need to add water. Besides, the best way to confirm is the water salinitty check.

To play safe, I do check the pH, NH4, NO2 and NO3 as well.

It'll be fine if even don't do water change for more than a yr.

But thing u need to take care is

1. Check your SG every 1mth (most likely it'll go high by 0.002 after awhile so dilute it by distill water)

2. And plan your Ozone dosing depend of your tank size (This will minimize disease and clear your water clarity and Mg condition)

3. Use a over size skimmer at least 1.5 times and above (with use of Ozone even better)

4. And you also need a sufficient light to culture the Life rock as well(This will make the Eco system cycle better)

5. Have a good flow of water for all dead spot (To prevent of detritus built up and decompose of living stuff in the tank)

6. Do keep your tank cool (Not more than 31 degree C)

• SRC Member

1. Check your SG every 1mth (most likely it'll go high by 0.002 after awhile so dilute it by distill water)

2. And plan your Ozone dosing depend of your tank size (This will minimize disease and clear your water clarity and Mg condition)

3. Use a over size skimmer at least 1.5 times and above (with use of Ozone even better)

4. And you also need a sufficient light to culture the Life rock as well(This will make the Eco system cycle better)

5. Have a good flow of water for all dead spot (To prevent of detritus built up and decompose of living stuff in the tank)

Good tips, Steven.

For point 3, how do determine the right size for the tank so that we know how to use a over size skimmer.

Just to confirm that we are talking about FOWLR. how do you guys remove the nitrate buildup with don't do water change?

#2. where to get the ozone? and how do you apply it?

#3. i also like to know at least 1.5 times of the volume of water?

#4. i'm using actinic lights

#6. just bought a cooling fan. Dymax says should lower temperature by 2 to 4 degrees.

I know it is good practice to change the water once a month even when the live stock is not falling sick.

I have started my 3ft tank back in June/July 2011, cycled for 2 months before introducing live stock.

And I have not changed water at all, just do topping up. Everything has been smooth sailing with no diseases and the live stock is pretty happy...

But, I do like to hear from fellow reefers on the risks involved (from experiences)...

My live stock:

1 x Volitan, 1 x Spotted Lion, 1 x spiny lobster, 2 x purple reef lobsters, 4 x pom pom crabs, 2 x urchins, 1 x sandstar, 1 x nassarius snail, 2 x cardinal and 2 x damsels and 2 x chromis. Dun ask me how they can live together, but I guessed a well-fed lion is a happy and peaceful lion. About 80kg of live rocks.

post-19465-0-45185600-1315914866_thumb.j

Sorry for hi-jacking.

Me added chaeto to control algae from glowing too rapidly.

And added more nassarius snail, and hermit crabs.

thxs.

• 1 month later...

i anti chlorine the tap water, and only do top up. so far so good. parameters are checked regularly and doesn't run out of hands. top up like once a month or slightly longer.

learn that distilled water is better. where to buy? those in supermarket can?

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Normally i did a 15% waterchange every month.now i just did 20% WC over 5 months.so far so good.i just monitor the kh.my setup is 4 feet tank.just a skimmer + full pack of aquaclay biomedia in my sump + 20 kg of liverock.tank over 4 years old.pellet feeding twice a day.tank were loaded with 15 M sized fishes + 4 hermits.topup with filtered water.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Please use DISTILLED water (which is PURE water) and not mineral water which has elements that can harm your fishes.

Be sure to read the label properly before you buy them.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter