My Reefing Chronicles

Admiraltian

• SRC Member

Noted, should be quite safe cos if it goes down into the overflow, it should be trapped by the filter sock before it can makes its way to the skimmer.

bro, think he meant the wave maker.

(click to see my tank thread)

Skimmer : Deltec SC2560

Chiller : Sanyo 1HP Compressor with copper coil

Lighting : Ecotech Radion XR30w x 3 + 5 ft ATI power module 4 tubes

Dosing - Bubble magnus 7 channel

Main pump - reef octopus 7000

FR : Skimz phosphate reactor + FR45 Biopellet reactor

Wavemaker - Vortech 3X MP40W + 1 x sun sun

bro, think he meant the wave maker.

Lol, ok, currently no wave maker in my tank, that's why I never thot of it that way.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Lol, ok, currently no wave maker in my tank, that's why I never thot of it that way.

Your tank enough flow without wave maker? sps will need alot of flow..

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

Your tank enough flow without wave maker? sps will need alot of flow..

Previously I did used but have to sell it cos flow too strong, currently still searching for one. My tank still ok with moderate flow.

Maybe I'll get a Tunze 6015 or a Hydor Koralia Nano. See how first.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Found this hidden in one corner of my LR, look like a baby acan or prata. Anyone can ID it?

Its brownish red with what look like little green tenacles around the centre.

post-19777-0-27880900-1336813833.jpg

Another pic of it,

post-19777-0-45620800-1336813852.jpg

The one circled is the baby coral,

post-19777-0-37546100-1336814256.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some new additions from fellow reefers,

Green monti,

post-19777-0-71590000-1337524185.jpg

another Aussie special,

post-19777-0-94983000-1337524552.jpg

Scoly crazy...!! :evil:

Recently, my skimmer doesn't seem to produce a lot of dark skim mate. I wonder if this is normal, cos I saw most skimmer does.

The color is light transparent brown similar to a cup of green tea rather than like black coffee which I saw some of the skimmers produces. Is there anything wrong with my skimmer, anyone? Will post pic of skimmer when free.

• SRC Member

nice scoly! from where?

nice scoly! from where?

I got it from bro Serravorte, he still have one more left selling at $140. U can check his sale thread,

• SRC Member

It's a good buy for sure. I got 3 already else I would've bought from him.

Very nice colouration!

Yes, very nice and good bargain for premium Aussie coral. I also have 3pcs now but think with your tank size can accommodate a few more...hee hee...

• SRC Member

Some new additions from fellow reefers,

Green monti,

post-19777-0-71590000-1337524185.jpg

another Aussie special,

post-19777-0-94983000-1337524552.jpg

Scoly crazy...!! :evil:

thx bro..

looking good in ur tank... :D

nice to see it in some good hands..

• Like 1

My 3ft tank

Dimension --> 3ftx1.5ftx2ft

Ehiem 1262 return

Ehiem 1260

Artica 1/5hp Chiller

Tunze 6055 + 7091 single controller

EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40W

Royal Exclusive Mini BubbleKing 160

Lumenarc 250watt 10K BLV

02x Giesemann T5 39watt (blue + Actinic)

Deltec 501 CR

thx bro..

looking good in ur tank... :D

nice to see it in some good hands..

Yes, thks a lot. :cheers:

Recently, my skimmer doesn't seem to produce a lot of dark skim mate. I wonder if this is normal, cos I saw most skimmer does.

The color is light transparent brown similar to a cup of green tea rather than like black coffee which I saw some of the skimmers produces. Is there anything wrong with my skimmer, anyone? Will post pic of skimmer when free.

As promised, pic of skimmer, is there a problem with this?

post-19777-0-47741600-1337690522.jpg

Closed up view,

post-19777-0-08220000-1337690553.jpg

Dosen't seem to be able to skim out any dark dirty organic waste. Anyone knows if there anything causing the skimmer to be like this? Or there's actually nothi ng wrong? :huh::unsure::dunno:

Recent FTS,

post-19777-0-25750800-1337691101_thumb.j

• Moderators

Dosen't seem to be able to skim out any dark dirty organic waste. Anyone knows if there anything causing the skimmer to be like this? Or there's actually nothi ng wrong? :huh::unsure::dunno:

Don't seem to be an issue with your skimmer. I would assume the amount of bubbles mass are still very much the same?

If it is, likely, you have not much nutrient to export already based on what i see in your stocking.

If you are afraid the skimmer is not exporting the nutrient due to some issue, you can buy a NO3 test kit to test the water. :)

Tom

Don't seem to be an issue with your skimmer. I would assume the amount of bubbles mass are still very much the same?

If it is, likely, you have not much nutrient to export already based on what i see in your stocking.

If you are afraid the skimmer is not exporting the nutrient due to some issue, you can buy a NO3 test kit to test the water. :)

I juz feel that the bubbles foamed at the cup seems to be a bit inconsistent. But I couldn't find any blockage from the skimmer.

I need to check the no3 level then. Need to get a accurate test kit 1st. Thanks for your advice.

love the green scolymia and supppper sun~~~

Glad u love it. Juz a little problem supersun nowadays, some baby heads dying. Hope it dun affect the others,

Based on the pic, it looks like the water level through the skimmer cup is too high resulting in wet skimmate. Re-adjust so that the water level is at the bottom level of the skimmer cup & you'll get a much drier skimmate.

Based on the pic, it looks like the water level through the skimmer cup is too high resulting in wet skimmate. Re-adjust so that the water level is at the bottom level of the skimmer cup & you'll get a much drier skimmate.

Ya, I suspected that might be one of the problem but due to my sump space and the height (size) of my skimmer, it's a bit difficult.

Either I have to upgrade my skimmer or try to elevate it higher.

A bit bo liao here, juz now part of my tank was shown on tv becos the tv crew came to interview my wife. Anyone watching news on tv would be able to catch a glimpse of my tank... Ha ha.....

Hi bro, i agree with Thomas that the most likely reason could be there isnt much to skim. Your fish stocking seems pretty low and feeding may be also at the lower side right ?

If you are able to make the skimming a little more dry, you will then notice the skimmate would turn darker. But whichever method you do (dry or remian wet as your current setting), as long as your coral do well, it doesnt really matter much. From my experience, skimmate usually turns darker after feeding, then eventually turn lighter color again.

Do note that the amount and size of bubble do affects the skimming result as well.

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...