Cheato

I think 12000k does not work well with chaeto... I had previously use 12000k T5HO 24W tubes to grow it, and it will turn white and soft.. after I change to 6400K 13WPL only, the growth skyrocket and they never become white again... So I believe the colour temperature is the important factor here.. I only have very low flow going through.. But since my one is not tumbling, I will every 3 or 4 days turn it the other side to let it have light all around..

Abit confused.. Cos some say colour temperature above 10000k (cool white light) is better for chaetos... others say 6000k warm/yellowish light better. so which is it? I went to irwana and got chaeto, they are using a warm light definitely below 10000k in their sump for chaetos. Please advise:)

Abit confused.. Cos some say colour temperature above 10000k (cool white light) is better for chaetos... others say 6000k warm/yellowish light better. so which is it? I went to irwana and got chaeto, they are using a warm light definitely below 10000k in their sump for chaetos. Please advise:)

Use light temperature between 5000K to 6500K... it would be good.. I am using 6400k and achieved good results from my personal experience.. From my own personal experience with 12000K light, the chaeto totally break apart into pieces and starts to turn whitish in some parts.. I quickly changed to a 6400K 13W which I happen to find it lying in my storeroom and it started to grow and flourish..

here is a link to help you decide which is better..

http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

I have been growing chaeto for years.

I only know the following is true.

1. They need flow

2. They can grow in 10k light but grows better after the light gets old. I suspect the spectrum shifts.

3. I grow them using warm white light in my sump

4. ww cfl is better than ww led. (cfl at higher wattage)

• SRC Member

Anyone knows where I can get small clip on led with temperature at about 6000k? any products out there? keeping them in a small 1.2L hob fuge..

hey! led u can get from best denki at 6000k 3w e27/e14 screws at $22, fixture u can get from ikea or just get compact Fl fixture from dymax and remove the reflector like what im using now.;)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

i think not so important but really need strong. mine i make sure the light can still reach the sand bed even the chaeto gets thicker. i placed the leds 4 inch from water surface and using mixed of 80 and 60 degree optics.
Fully agreed....grow like nobody business with stromg lighting

• SRC Member

Got a silly thought; can we put Chaeto directly into the tank since it removes ammonium & nitrate? Will it be more efficient? Can we, like put it in a hanging basket at the back of the tank?

Of course it is not the prettiest addition to the tank...

cheers

Got a silly thought; can we put Chaeto directly into the tank since it removes ammonium & nitrate? Will it be more efficient? Can we, like put it in a hanging basket at the back of the tank?

Of course it is not the prettiest addition to the tank...

cheers

Of course you can... as long as there is strong lights... but wouldn't it be unsightly ? Last time I did see at madpetz that they use the FR and place in the cheatos and hang the FR just beside the tank... And they placed some LEDS pointing towards the cheatos..

• SRC Member

Fluidized reactor. Normally used for holding chemical media, eg: rowaphos, carbon...etc. And water from the tank is pump into this reactor and then thro' the chemical media and then out back to the tank. Now can be used to hold cheato. Really never thought of that.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2