Office Minimalist Pico

Firestarter

• SRC Member

Been wanting to do a minimalist pico for some time.

I finally found myself the right tank.

1. Pico --> check

2. Shallow --> check

3. Rimless --> check

4. Glass --> check

Tank dimensions:

36 (L) x22 (B) x17cm (H)

Equipment:

Aquazonic G2 LED

HOB filter

Boyu pump as wavemaker

Loving the shallow effect.

Looks really bare now. Hopefully it would look better when its filled with corals.

Next step would be to find a suitable light.. as I find the light too white and not enough blue.

post-13947-0-69689000-1354100895_thumb.j

Comments appreciated.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, using office air con for cooling the tank?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Yes.. its at 23'c now. Using DIY pc fan for the weekends.

Ok, I like your concept.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Ok, I like your concept.

Thanks for the comments, the tank really looks better in real life. I can't seem to capture the true colour with my hp. Also, the lighting is more of a pure white temp (not yellowish) which makes the tank look wierd. It does not have the blue spectrum like what a reef tank should have. Plannin to change to the ultra bright beamswork clamp on led.

Till then please bear with the funny contrast.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

If your intention is to have a minimalist concept, stick to this. Don't add anymore live rocks, or it will just defeat the purpose.

If budget is not too much of a constraint, you can consider 1 or 2 PAR38 LEDs instead. Should have a much better effect, and you can keep more light demanding corals like SPS.

• SRC Member

If your intention is to have a minimalist concept, stick to this. Don't add anymore live rocks, or it will just defeat the purpose.

If budget is not too much of a constraint, you can consider 1 or 2 PAR38 LEDs instead. Should have a much better effect, and you can keep more light demanding corals like SPS.

I want to add one more small piece of LR over the LR at right corner, to give the scape more depth.

I would like to use PAR38 but its too big and bulky, and for an office tank, its going to increase my already high profile. (Boss not too happy about my 2 tanks. yikes!)

Also planning to add SPS in the future. Main priority is to fill the bareness with LPS first.

• SRC Member

Is the dottyback the only fish to be in? guess if it is the first fish, it will try to make himself the only fish...hahaha...aggressive. Nice tank, I am thinking of doing something for my office too...

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

• SRC Member

Is the dottyback the only fish to be in? guess if it is the first fish, it will try to make himself the only fish...hahaha...aggressive. Nice tank, I am thinking of doing something for my office too...

I used to have a azure damsel in my previous tank. After adding the dottyback, it whacked the damsel so I have separated the 2 fishes. The dottyback is going to be the only fish as I'm trying to reduce the bioload. Lesson learnt: Don't be pressured in adding LS to your tank! (colleagues kept saying why only 1 fish) Haha...

Will post more pics if there is something to update. Meanwhile just letting the corals stabilize.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

very nice, may I know your filtration system? For small tank do you need to change water regularly?

Using a HOB filter with filter floss and chaeto for filtration.

I change water about twice a week and whenever I feel like changing. Each water change is about 500ml-1.5L.