Raid on Pasir Ris Farm

It's so obvious that those people with direct commercial interests ie, those who in the industry, will be the ones to paotoh each other.

Probably those who do it the right way and wish to 'punish' those who don't. ;)

What's new? Nothing.

It's called Greed and Risks.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, after all this years.... we're finally discussing this ugly and 'hidden' issue about the local marine industry. :(

Those in the know usually just acknowledge this trend and sigh. I think the senior reefers will just take it like rainy and hot seasons... :P

AVA protecting CITIES laws - LFS hoping to make a quick buck by not declaring such shipments - kenna reported - kenna raided - hobbyists caught in price fluctuations and lack of supply.

It's a sad cycle.

with such raid....just a concern abt those doing it thru internet, would the site owner be held responsible? :huh:

Huh? You mean Pacnet or Singnet? You mean those who email AVA, will the ISP be held responsible? :erm:

• SRC Member

Huh? You mean Pacnet or Singnet? You mean those who email AVA, will the ISP be held responsible? :erm:

no...I meant those online store/LFS selling non CITIES coral thru 3rd party websites.

worst will be those 'LFS' that dun even have a LFS license. <_<

To be specific, will you/SRC kana, when we sell our stuff in the buy/sell sections, as we hobbyists dun have the CITIES cert.

or you Sponsor advertising their non CITIES coral?

no...I meant those online store/LFS selling non CITIES coral thru 3rd party websites.

worst will be those 'LFS' that dun even have a LFS license. 

To be specific, will you/SRC kana, when we sell our stuff in the buy/sell sections, as we hobbyists dun have the CITIES cert.

or you Sponsor advertising their non CITIES coral?

From my limited knowledge...

AVA will primarily be concerned about enforcing CITIES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) laws on the commercial trading & import of corals. The ones directly concerned are the local importers as they will be the ones to ship them into Singapore. They are expected to do the paperwork declaring ALL livestock shipments or face strict penalties.

Exchanging/trading/bartering corals amongst hobbyists is not considered as commercial trading or illegal. AVA will only probably step in to investigate public complaints if you are known to keep illegal livestock due to its endangered status, poisonous or life threatening animals or if the livestock is a threat to local fauna if released into our local land/waters.

Corals are on the endangered list under CITIES but under a category that allows commercial harvesting and trade. They are considered legal as trade is allowed although the harvesting process has to be strictly followed by each country governed by the CITIES laws. The quota has to be followed and each country that imports these corals have to monitor what comes in so as to ensure that the export/import numbers tally with the exporting country.

I think AVA will need a LOT of manpower to track corals moving within the country and exchanging hands within the hobbyist circle. If there is such a law... there should be one to see how much corals and livestock dies in the hands of hobbyists. SRC reefers exchanging or selling off their corals to one another SHOULD be alright... believe me... AVA visits our site and I am sure they will make it known LOUD and CLEAR if what we have been doing all this time is ILLEGAL! ;)

As for local businesses selling livestock online... they have to clarify with the relevant authorities for the necessary business permits as they are expected to have QT facilities (I think) before they are granted their permits.

Got a few more interesting phonecalls/SMS this morning.

Now the finger is firmly pointed at another LFS as the one who blew the whistle.

Don't really know what's happening but this politicking and industrial espionage is getting too much.

You guys should not contribute to the mass hysteria as the hobbyists should stay out of this. I have a few people from the industry and hobbyists who supported me & SRC against these vicious rumours but I will appreciate you guys not adding fuel to fire with more speculation and let this supposedly 'inter-LFS sabotage game' come to an end.

I wonder why nobody would think that AVA is JUST doing their job WELL and wish to find a scapegoat for AVA's recent enforcement activities.

It's always been a common thing every few months for years already! :unsure:

I JUST got another interesting phonecall from THAT LFS who is being supposedly accused as the whistle-blower.

This SMS has been sent to many LFS (esp the ones who got raided) and has been forwarded to me by a few people.

Apparently now, a police report has been been made and investigations are already underway to trace back the originator of the vicious SMS rumours.

If THAT person is reading this now... that LFS whom you have slandered... is TELLING you now to own up to him personally and then apologize to everyone in the industry for your acts... he will then NOT pursue legal action against you.

I'm just transferring the message as a favour and I am definitely AM NOT part of the industry. I certainly do not OWN or CO-OWN any LFS and DO NOT have the time, inclination or interest to engage in such competitive politics and rivalry amongst the LFSs.

*borrowing a line from Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacis: "Can't we all just get along?"*

Sigh!

AT

IMHO, juz dun worry about the recent AVA - LFS fuss. it will blow over in a matter of weeks and everything will be back to norm. juz hold on to ur pockets and prepare for the next shipment. :)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

Boss, there's a LFS named TH@T. maybe u can change ur sentence to prevent any conflicts now. :peace:

No kidding! :lol:

Nah... that's not the same one then... I say again for the record... It's not THAT LFS!

• SRC Member
Maybe AVA got project to fill up certain sites in sentosa with corals so easiest way is to cheongkong some corals from LFS..

Then i suppose there are a lot of people will eye on sentosa soon~~

how much they put~~ will stiil be gone~~

if possible,

use a crane or bulldozer :look:

that will be enought to fill up tones of tanks

• SRC Member

Then i suppose there are a lot of people will eye on sentosa soon~~

how much they put~~ will stiil gone~~

use a crane if possible or bulldozer :look:

tat's why i hate singapore waters.. so brownish.. only crystal blue water i see is at pulau ubin. really clear, really blue... need to cycle in to see though. dunnoe fresh or saltwater. :huh:

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

I see what I like...

I buy at the price I like...

I keep at the style I want...

Other matters I wan not... :lol::lol::lol:

Why so free to stir up all these 'eat finish nothing better to do' stuff? :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

been thinking about this matter for the past few days... can't be bothered abt the politiking among the trade but in the larger context, I'm concerned about such illegal activities...

in line with the SRC's slogan of Responsible Reefing, we should understand that some species are CITES controlled for a particular reason... they are ENDANGERED already!!! I'm not afraid to say this, but we should be concerned about which LFSs are getting their stocks illegally and boycott them... So what if prices go up because of the current AVA clampdown... So what if stocks run low... We should be responsible for our environment and if it is priced out of our reach, then we should be sensible enough to say no to keeping such corals and not succumb to the temptation of buying from illegal sources. conservation is the only way to preserve such wonderful wildlife diversity for the long-term enjoyment of reefers which includes us and our future generations...

I'm new to reefing and previously, I'm not aware that such illegal practices exist (too trusting that the govt is doing it's job well :P). But now that I know, I really want to find out who does such illegal imports. I definitely won't want to patronize their business... hmmm... maybe I should write to AVA...

just my 2 cents...

• Join us on the largest Reefing community in Asia!

Sign up and share your reefing journey with us, make friends and get helps from the community .

• Topics

• Latest Update

1. 0

⓶ Sangoma, In Cape town (({+27°69°832 3252})) Bring back lost lover / love spell caster In Mount Fletcher , Nelspruit , Newcastle ,Nquthu , Nylstroom , paarl , paulpietersburg , Pietermaritzburg , Pietersburg , Pinetown , Plettenbergbay , Polokwane , Por

2. 0

Traditional Healer in polokwane (({+27°69°832 3252})) ⓶ Sangoma, Bring back lost lover / love spell caster IN Kimberley , Kirkwood , Klerksdorp , Knysna , Kokstad , Komga ,Kroonstad ,Kuruman , Lady frère , ladybrand ,Lebowakomo ,Lichtenburg , South Africa

3. 0

⓶SANGOMA In Germiston (({+27°69°832 3252})) ⓶ Durban , Durban North , East Rand , Edenvale , Elliot , Empangeni , Engcobo , Estcourt , Flagstaff , Four ways , Gauteng , George , germiston , greytown , Harrismith , Heidelberg , Hennenman , Idutywa , Jeff