My Coral Is Hiding Too Much

Hi all. I've got this Soft Coral which was nicely spread out until this morning when I found my clownfish dead and lying right next to the coral. The coral had a few of it's tentacles wrapped around it. But the thing is...ever since then, it's gone into hiding and looks quite unwell. Can anyone help? I'm not too sure what species it is..it's got very thin long tentacles and an extremeley soft polyp which burrows into the sand bed. I know it's vague...but it's the best I can do!

:thanks:

The base is blackish blue in colour, the mouth has light brown hair-like tentacles and the longer tentacles that extend out are greenish brown in colour, the glow under blue light

I'm trying to search for a pic of it online as well. If I find it then it'll be good

• SRC Member
Hi all. I've got this Soft Coral which was nicely spread out until this morning when I found my clownfish dead and lying right next to the coral. The coral had a few of it's tentacles wrapped around it. But the thing is...ever since then, it's gone into hiding and looks quite unwell. Can anyone help? I'm not too sure what species it is..it's got very thin long tentacles and an extremeley soft polyp which burrows into the sand bed. I know it's vague...but it's the best I can do!

:thanks:

Did you remove the dead fish?? If not likely it will swallow it!! :lol: then it will hid for a while.....probably to digest I guess??!!!

I feed my tube anemone with dried shrimp and occasionally it hid itself......monitor it closely if you want to leave it in the tank.

Previously my ex-tube anemone pass away and it melt in its own tube!!! When I took out the whole tube.....it looks like a used condom!! :lol: and it is damp smelly!!! Lucky I did not overturn the tube in the tank or it would be a disaster!!!

Even now I monitor my tube anemone health very closely!! DANGER!! ;)

I had a tube anemone in my 1.5ft tank once. One day, it died and by the time I got home, my fishes were half dead because of the nitrate build up. Luckily, I has some spare sea water from the previous day and had to transfer the fishes to it. It was night and there was no way for me to get some new water. hence, went down to the pet store and got some Marine Salt and mixed with with tap water. Unfortunately, 2 of the 4 fishes died. Never wanna keep an anemone in a small tank like mine.

Just an advice, do keep some marine sal at home for standby.

Actually the better advice would be... I hope you learnt a lesson from this.

You have to reseach a lot more and learn how to ID marine livestock before buying them.

Marine livestock are usually not incompatible with something else, toxic, venomous, aggressive, shy, hard to induce feeding, fussy eater, eat too much, need a big tank, need a species only tank, need strong lighting, need perfect water conditions, need strong water flow or the TOTAL OPPOSITE of everything here!

Don't buy what you don't know about!

AT

• SRC Member

IMO tube anemones are troublesome. Takes up too much space and sting everything around it. Use to love them but have to give them up as you have to create a big empty space in the tank to house them. With lights they look ok and manageable size but at night, my god, it like a feeding monster extending to almost double its size.

My 2 cents worth :shock::shock:

• SRC Member

yep they are hardy if you ask me :P i feed them twice a week with market prawns and it simply love it... very beautiful but have to becareful about not placing any coral next to it... u would't wan it to be fried :P especially clams :sick:.... they come in attractive colours which you simply can't resist neon orange, neon pink, black are the few common colour which local lfs bring. the price range are $12-$20 and they dewl under the blanket of sand which they then ecrets mucus like liquid boning the sand and forming it's own soft shell...

'cheers :angel:

• SRC Member
IMO tube anemones are troublesome. Takes up too much space and sting everything around it. Use to love them but have to give them up as you have to create a big empty space in the tank to house them. With lights they look ok and manageable size but at night, my god, it like a feeding monster extending to almost double its size.

My 2 cents worth :shock::shock:

yeah it's true, during the night they extend almost twice their original size during the day or when lights are on... especially when it's fed on the day itself :rolleyes: