3ft shallow fowlr log

• Senior Reefer
I use cupramine as a first line of defense. I hear its rough on dwarf angels, but it seems cupramine is uniquely safe here. My 1" flames n joc underwent it v well in fact. I like what many bros espouse in building up immunity thru non copper use, but I don't dare to risk it, especially in a nano tank. I might try that approach later on.. Bom , thanks for all the links. Like I said , u are not selfish in ur sharing at all, good or bad.
Cupramine is chelated and very much safer. Immunity should not be relied upon 100% especially in big set ups wit numerous big angels an butterflies. But is useful for maintainin health in a system with light infestations.

Cupramine is chelated and very much safer. Immunity should not be relied upon 100% especially in big set ups wit numerous big angels an butterflies. But is useful for maintainin health in a system with light infestations.

Ditto.

. I think if ur fishes got immunity , it suggests a few things: 1) your tank is around some time, very balanced environment . 2) your fishes have been around some time in this tank 3) you add new fishes very slowly.

Digiman comes to mind :)

• SRC Member

Thanks bros for the good words. I think I have to learn more from the bros here.

Yeah cupramine is very safe but anything in reefing, done in excess will always lead to bad outcomes.

Im currently in the process of pulling copper out of the tank as I need to lower the concentration for a new addition. Getting invaluable advice from TFC boss regarding it. Will update about it soon.

Cheers and have a happy Tuesday :)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

Great job with the filefish :thumbsup:

I've read so much about how difficult they are to keep alive in captivity but yours seem to be fat and happy.

How did you get it to start eating?

I have a SPS tank so will never be able to have one since their natural food source is SPS polyp :(

But I'm curious how you got it to eat frozen prepared food. Does it eat pellets?

Thanks

• SRC Member

Didnt post this in my thread. Here's a short video of my hybrid black and achilles going at cyclopeeze on the 2nd day.

Here are two videos of my last one. Just added it last night. This fish has made me broke. But totally worth it.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Oops didnt realise I didnt post the link. Here it is.

Im super happy to be receiving a bandit this healthy and most importantly, feeding bandit.

As bandits are rather deepwater fishes, prone to decompression, for TFC to condition this fish to be alert and responsive, I tip my hat to them. Their price also made me pull the trigger as opposed to previous bandit shipments.

So here's a big thanks to the team at TFC for bringing in these 3 awesome fishes.

• SRC Member
Oops didnt realise I didnt post the link. Here it is.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt7Q0o9FkiA&feature=youtube_gdata_player'>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt7Q0o9FkiA&feature=youtube_gdata_playerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QGQ_NPKmB8&feature=youtube_gdata_player'>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QGQ_NPKmB8&feature=youtube_gdata_player Im super happy to be receiving a bandit this healthy and most importantly, feeding bandit. As bandits are rather deepwater fishes, prone to decompression, for TFC to condition this fish to be alert and responsive, I tip my hat to them. Their price also made me pull the trigger as opposed to previous bandit shipments. So here's a big thanks to the team at TFC for bringing in these 3 awesome fishes.
Well done bro. This brings your tank to a totally diff level.

• SRC Member

Nice Queen!Been wanting to add one but I think my reef too small :(

Maybe u can get a very small juvenile?

• SRC Member

Great job with the filefish :thumbsup:

I've read so much about how difficult they are to keep alive in captivity but yours seem to be fat and happy.

How did you get it to start eating?

I have a SPS tank so will never be able to have one since their natural food source is SPS polyp :(

But I'm curious how you got it to eat frozen prepared food. Does it eat pellets?

Thanks

Mine just passed as I was rescaping and didnt realise it was lodging itself below the rocks. It does that with the wavemaker previously when it sleeps. So every morning I would be shooing it away before I on the wavemaker.

Actually bro, I think I got lucky with it. I feed my usual cyclopeeze and it started chasing the cyclops around. Then slowly to pellets. I was prepared to use a dead sps skeleton and smear some gel food on it, but the filefish adapted faster than I expected.

If u really want a pellet feeding one, I saw a few pellet feeding ones, at of all places, jireh.

With regards to ur sps tank, if u do a search about harlequin filefishes, many house them in huge sps tanks where they do relatively little damage. I think u have to supplement their diet with sps polyps also for long term good health.

Hope this helps.

• SRC Member

Rare fish is the way to go for u.:)

Bro, u should see some hidden dragons keeping way more rarer fishes than me.

Anyways got ur white clams already? Very powerful feeding tool as u can see from my bandit's reaction haha.

• Like 1

Anyways got ur white clams already? Very powerful feeding tool as u can see from my bandit's reaction haha.

Bro, white clams are those sold at the seafood counter at NTUC?

• SRC Member

Bro, white clams are those sold at the seafood counter at NTUC?

Yep those are the ones.

Just to add, while its a good way to start fishes on feeding, there has been some debate regarding being over reliant on it and becoming the only source of nutrition for the fish as clams hv a high level of thiaminase. U have to vary their diet or use selcon or other vitamins to feed the fish.

Here's the link.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

• SRC Member

Well done bro. This brings your tank to a totally diff level.

Urs is still way higher than mine. Especially with the new incoming one :D

• SRC Member

Thanks bro. Hopefully it does well for many years to come. :lol:

Yep those are the ones.

Just to add, while its a good way to start fishes on feeding, there has been some debate regarding being over reliant on it and becoming the only source of nutrition for the fish as clams hv a high level of thiaminase. U have to vary their diet or use selcon or other vitamins to feed the fish.

Here's the link.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

Thanks. I read on Reefcentral about the power of white clams but haven't had a chance to try it.

• SRC Member
Thanks. I read on Reefcentral about the power of white clams but haven't had a chance to try it.
Yepp they like to term it as "clam on the half shell". Sophisticated words for a simple act haha.

• SRC Member

Bro to ( bombom )May i know how many fish you have in your tank ? I saw in your previous post , you have take off some and add in new fish ?Thanks

My current list :

Angels

Flame x3

Shepardi

Regal

Rock Beauty

Argi

Bandit

Tangs

Hybrid Yellow

Hybrid Black

Achilles

Damsels

Blue Chromis

Occelaris

Marginatus

Hawkfish

Flame

Basslet

Chalk

That would be 17 altogether. :P

I first got the green mussels yesterday , then got the white ones today.

Eh, only the marginalis is eating it, the other fishes just look a bit lost . They smell blood but not going in for the kill yet.

I'll report any success here.

Bro,I envy ur skill . Acquire the skill first, then the rare fish . So it's anytime for u ;)

• SRC Member

Why happen to your queen? Sold?

Sold bro. My queen will not accept a new fish thats more than 3 inch in size. If I didnt sell, the bandit would not come. So I chose the bandit over the queen.