my first marine tank, ten years in the making

blondmyth

Are you a mushroom lover? A word of caution though. The Flame Angel is extraordinarily beautiful but has a reputation to be not so reef safe, especially if you intend to keep corals. Can you let us know the equipment used? I think I see a hang-on back filter, a skimmer and two white pipes (to a sump or chiller)? Do you intend to hide the view of the equipment with some stuff in time to come?

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

Definitely prefer mushrooms to zoas. The flame angel and coral beauty are said to be the most reef safe among the dwarf angels. But if the flame angel ends up snacking on my corals I will have no choice but to remove it. This is a bare tank, sits on a cabinet. Using hob filter, along with my live rocks, bm nac qq skimmer and an atman pump that pumps water through my resun 280 chiller and 150 phosban reactor which has rowa, and then the return pump. I think the back looks neat enough, so no intentions to cover it up. This is my first venture into marine, hence only a 2 feet. When I get my own place next time I will then do a 3 or 4 feet tank, with a sump to dump all the equipment in of course :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

5 October update:

New scape after a mini accident in my tank: Tried to adjust salinity from 1.026 to 1.023 and finally to 1.025 and ended up killing all my previous LPS. Only mushrooms survived. Painful lesson learnt. New scape is now much higher:

http://s302.photobucket.com/user/blondmyth93/media/IMG-20131005-01108.jpg.html'>IMG-20131005-01108.jpg

Side view

http://s302.photobucket.com/user/blondmyth93/media/IMG-20131005-01106.jpg.html'>IMG-20131005-01106.jpg

True perc loves the elegance

http://s302.photobucket.com/user/blondmyth93/media/IMG-20131005-01104.jpg.html'>IMG-20131005-01104.jpg

Nice elegance and simple setup.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• 4 weeks later...

5 October update:

New scape after a mini accident in my tank: Tried to adjust salinity from 1.026 to 1.023 and finally to 1.025 and ended up killing all my previous LPS. Only mushrooms survived. Painful lesson learnt. New scape is now much higher:

IMG-20131005-01108.jpg

Side view

IMG-20131005-01106.jpg

True perc loves the elegance

IMG-20131005-01104.jpg

How do you adjust your salinity? Salt mix?

Can share ur tank build. Eg sump,return, lighting

its a simple reef setup, no sump, no wavemaker.

im using HOB filter for filtration and to provide current. bubble magus nac qq as my skimmer.

there's a pump which goes to my resun 280 chiller, and then a reactor which contains rowaphos, and then back into the display tank.

only using 3 tubes of T5 for my lighting (2 blue, 1 white), nothing fanciful about any of my equipment

cheers