Tempted to start adding live stock

Please let me know what is the coral on the bottom right of the poci? Also is it red slime algae at the bottom left? attachicon.gifhttp://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=198601'>GreenPocci1.png
Looks like clove polyps and coraline algae

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Red slime algae looks slimy and can be easily brush off the rocks. If it is firmly encrusted, then it's coraline. Comes in different colors, red, purple, magenta, violet etc...

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Thank you for the clarification. That means I have quite a fair amount of coraline algae... The clove polyps grows from the same stem/body… I believe they should be good corals...
Yes, if u dun want, u can donate it to me... Ha ha.

Dear readers/followers,

After about 3 months of struggle with water parameter stability, fighting algae & aiptasia, losses in livestocks, twice weekly water change …etc, I had finally succumb…

I decided to go for a DIY sump. I am hoping to achieve the following:

1. more water = more stable

2. deep sand bed to help reduce nitrate

3. more space for cheato to grow more nutrient export

4. reverse lighting for refugium to maintain stable PH

5. more water flow in display (added a 2000l/hr return pump)

I attached some pictures. Kindly provide your valuable comments. Please point out anything wrong or possible improvements.

Bare Bottom (removed sand from display tank)

attachicon.gifDisplayTank.png

DIY Sump

attachicon.gifSump.png

Tank & Cabinet

attachicon.gifTankCabinetOpen.png

Thank you.

Any link for the DIY sump tank?

mine also 2 feet using external filtration

• SRC Member

Very innovative :thumbsup:

Just a few points to discuss:

1) since u already constructed a "sump", ever thought of running a proper skimmer in the sump?

2) seems like alot of tubing in DT, maybe can consider running ur chiller from sump

3) canister i think abit redundant

4) your phosban reactor can consider to T-off from piping returning water to DT... No need additional control value as the reactor comes with it and you also save yourself 1 pump

Just 2 cents to dwell on :)

:: just a noob ::

• SRC Member

Very innovative :thumbsup:

Just a few points to discuss:

1) since u already constructed a "sump", ever thought of running a proper skimmer in the sump?

2) seems like alot of tubing in DT, maybe can consider running ur chiller from sump

3) canister i think abit redundant

4) your phosban reactor can consider to T-off from piping returning water to DT... No need additional control value as the reactor comes with it and you also save yourself 1 pump

Just 2 cents to dwell on :)

Really appreciate your comments...

1) you read my mind… I was googling Bubble Magnus, Skimz, Deltec … etc skimmers… now considering a second hand...

2) good idea… the only reason I kept it in the DT is for some extra flow. :)

3) yeah… I am going to remove it after some time (lazy to keep cleaning it weekly)

4) good idea… let me see if it could be done...

• SRC Member

Usually people don't run 2 skimmers. It may reduce the efficiency of both skimmers.. Nice skimmate from ue red Sea skimmer don't think you'll have to run the QQ anymore..

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Actually, I have been running the Red Sea Prizm skimmer all the while. Recently added the Bubble Magus NAC QQ in the sump.

I thought having 2 skimmer is better overall… Can explain why the efficiency of both skimmers will be reduced?

• SRC Member

Thank you for the link.

"The foam discharge zones of skimmers behave towards the protein-containing surfaces of an aquarium comparable to the resistance towards the discharge of the water The ideal skimmer thus would have an extremely low resistance"

Fortunately the 2 skimmers in my setup does not share the same "protein-containing surfaces" as one is in the sump and the other is in the display tank.

The article recommends to replace both skimmer with a bigger one. That will definitely be considered if I ever were to upgrade my tank.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I need some advise.

I am considering a RBTA to host my pair of true percula.

1. Where can I get one?

2. How big should I get it?

3. How much will it cost?

Thank you.

Tok Woon Boon

Hi bro, hope this help you:

1) ML Henry has some rbta, you may wish to check with him.

2) I think best is slightly smaller than a palm size.

3) small size abt 4 reds, bigger ones abt 8 reds.

Cheers

Thank you… I have lost some zoas recently… Will need to rid them before more of my zoas are lost...

Looks more like collonista sp. to me. Check out this article -

Sun dials snails have very distinctive markings - https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=sundial+snails+zoanthids&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oq_oUYroNYXKrAea1YGQCg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=737

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381