Which type of coral LPS or SPS doesn't need chiller

fadlys

If it's Nano tank , you can consider using clip on box fan . My kids nano fresh water planted tank hovers around 26 degrees , but 2 disadvantage , temperature is limited to ambiance room temp , and also high evaporation rate

bro. if your budget really tight. consider a used chiller from reefers selling in pasar malam. if chiller still unreachable to you, i suggest you go fowrl. otherwise you will waste more money replacing corals than initial chiller costs.

• SRC Member

Even mushrooms will melt at temps above 30.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Please dun try mushroom or zoas if temperature more than 30. Initially, I thought these soft corals together with shrimps and crabs can tolerate more than 30 degrees, but my 3 feet tank reached 33 degree during afternoon and in the end only fishes like clown, demsel and tangs survived whereas the rest all perished. No choice got to bite the bullet and get a 1st hand chiller when during that period I cannot find anyone selling in SRC. Now my 45 cm nano is running using fan to maintain 28-29 degree but only keep anemone and clownfishes everyday must top up freshwater.

• SRC Member

Although ihave witness people going wo chiller before and maintaining sps. I willnot recommend it. Its either expensive in the long run or expensive now. For me its clearcut answer.

• 2 weeks later...

I use fans and the following are ok:

bubble anemone

clam

elegance coral

Goniopora

green star polyps

leather coral

mushroom

Xenia

Zoas and Palythoa

Before I use a fan, some mushrooms became bleached under the high temperatures.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Get a chiller if you are serious about corals. If not, forget the idea & run FOWLR. Running fan can maintain temperature below 30degC for nano tank, but you have to top up water every day due to high evaporation rate, top up untill u are tired. Also, salinity swings will affect SPS due to high evaporation rate (salinity becomes higher at this point), during top up fresh water (salinity drops back to normal at this point). This swing is enough to kill your SPS after some time. SPS needs very stable water parameters. Any parameters change quickly, they become stress, then RTN or STN occurs, u can say bye bye to them. Then, u become fustrated & u will reach a point where u will become unhappy & give up this wonderful hobby. Do reconsider this. Keep a FOWLR till u are ready to get a chiller & start reefing. Some reefers started with FOWLR 1st then slowly proceed to reefing after they have gained enough experience/ knowlegde about keeping water parameters stable. And most important, enough $$ to get the required equipment. I am one of them.

• SRC Member

If ure on a tight budget, use fans please.

This are the type of cooling fans u can use temporarily until u have e budget to get a chiller.

http://freshnmarine.com.sg/estore/index.php?cPath=436_499&osCsid=81c0a87254d27818f53baff5016941b4

other than these, there are still many other brands of fans out there.

But after awhile u can get pissed of from fans (by topping up water everyday) and end up buying a chiller.

Teh'sTankSetup Decomm on 18/8/2012

Tank: 2x1x1 Rimless Tank (Sumpless)

Lighting: Aquazonic 2x24watts T5 (Actinic x Sun White)

Moonlight: Acardia 1W Led Light (Blue)

Filter: ISTA Max Care Cannister

Skimmer: Bubble Magus E3

Chiller: Resun CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Wave: Boyu WM-25

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Tank: 3x2x2.5

Lighting: 250w DeLighting MH/ 2x 39w Delighting Diy T5 ATI Blue Plus

Skimmer: H&S Skimmer Type 110-F2000

Chiller: CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Reactor: D&D H2Ocean FMR 75 (ADA 1500 Pump)(Rowaphos)

Wavemaker: 2x SunSun Wavemaker (3000L)

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

ATO System/Tunze Osmolator

Magic Marine 3CH Dosing Pump

I have tried without chiller too. Its doesn't work in Singapore. The weather is too hot, specially in the afternoon. all the corals soon and later will die. Bro, save some money and get a second hands or china band one.

I have tried without chiller too. Its doesn't work in Singapore. The weather is too hot, specially in the afternoon. all the corals soon and later will die. Bro, save some money and get a second hands or china band one.

Haven most of us started off without a chiller? Haha... Its nearly impossible to keep corals in this kinda weather... Chiller is the way to go, theres always ppl selling second hand chillers here. Unless u have aircon on most of the time and are able to maintain a stable temperature thru out... A very experienced and friendly senior(who sell amazing quality zoas and sps) here actually ran his 5ft and 7ft dt, and 4 frag tanks all without chiller, only aircon... Im sure some if u guys know who im talking about! Haha... It actually works!

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

10 years ago I had a 3ft mixed reef tank with chiller and gave up abt 3 yrs later due to work commitments. I started again recently and told myself to try my best NOT to use a chiller. Got myself a fan and able to keep the temperature bet 28-29. All LPS are fine BUT..... the water evaporation is killing me! At least on average 3 to 4 litres EVERYDAY! And guess what..... Mr Chiller is back! And u knw that the corals are happier ;) Moral of the story.... Chiller is still the way to go especially with corals regardless LPS or SPS.

• SRC Member

I have managed to keep an anemone alive by filling a bottle with hyper salinated saltwater and keeping it in the freezer. If the days gonna be very hot ill put it in my nano tanks sump but it's very inefficient and I guess carpet anemones are hardy creatures

• SRC Member

I managed to keep SPS with only fan (20g tank). It is by finding the coolest spot with least temperature fluctuations in my home.

Temperature is monitored everyday in the morning and evening. Special attention paid during hot days.

Generally the max temp is 29c.

2 years ago i have 3ft reef tank with chiller,then decomming due to work commitment. I know chiller is a must to keep corals, thats why now im gonna to keep fish only for my tank (same tank)..now its 2 month cycling. One day my hands so 'gatal' wanna buy coral, and i did. I bought a cheap coral frm iwarna around sgd15..dont know the name (green polyp) maybe.i dip the coral and i put in the tank..it start to open 2 days later, and now its already fully open..now i hv 3 corals 1 anemone and 1 clownfish also below sgd15 in my tank..still scared to go for expensive one..My temprature between 30-31c..dont know if its short term or long term..or i just been lucky.but at least i've tried..