Lemon's 2013 new build

yikai

• Senior Reefer

When you say deep water tank, what are the differences from the normal one? Care to share more details?

Deepwater style should be more appropriate way to describe.

It's going to house a fish collected at same depth and area as the peppermint. The scape will be rocks only just like in the wild. Also no lights will be used. Will match exactly the appearance as best i can to allow the fish maximum comfort.

Digiman's tank is purely deepwater set up. Rocks, no lights, and deepwater fish. Blue harbor feature many similar style tanks too. It ismostly very boring and drab. Not many reefers will appreciate it. But it allows the fish a habitat to feel safe and display itself. In a 250W MH tank, these deepwater fish will not adapt well.

• Senior Reefer
A bit thin. But should fatten up since it has started to eat.
Yes this one is abit thin. Eating fine but the problem is finding small enough food! Mysis is to big and is ignored. Even my tiny tiny otohaime pellets are just nice. I need to buy one size smLler.

• SRC Member

Deepwater style should be more appropriate way to describe.

It's going to house a fish collected at same depth and area as the peppermint. The scape will be rocks only just like in the wild. Also no lights will be used. Will match exactly the appearance as best i can to allow the fish maximum comfort.

Digiman's tank is purely deepwater set up. Rocks, no lights, and deepwater fish. Blue harbor feature many similar style tanks too. It ismostly very boring and drab. Not many reefers will appreciate it. But it allows the fish a habitat to feel safe and display itself. In a 250W MH tank, these deepwater fish will not adapt well.

So it's more of setting up an environment similar to deeper depths... I thought you would do something like lower the temperature and increase the pressure, so I was wondering how you would achieve this connected to your main tank.

• Senior Reefer

So it's more of setting up an environment similar to deeper depths... I thought you would do something like lower the temperature and increase the pressure, so I was wondering how you would achieve this connected to your main tank.

Yes that's why a deepwater style tank should be a more appropriate way of describing.

Pressure is not a factor in fish keeping. The swim bladder of a fish is adaptable to different pressures. All deepwater fish will be decompressed to bring it up to the surface by way of needling or slowly bringing up. This allows air to be released from the bladder and not expanding when brought to lower pressure at the surface. Once at the surface, putting it back quickly in deepwater pressured set ups will kill it. Therefore if I wanted to keep it in a pressurized tank, I will not need to decompress it in the first place and maintain the fish at that pressure in the sea al the way to my tank.

Lighting and temperature is more important factors for deepwater fish. Dim lights is usually deployed. As for temperature it depends on the fish and location. Temperate and subtropical fish such as Japan and some parts of Australia yes, and these fish must be maintained at 19-22 preferably. Tahiti is a tropical area and Rufus reported the temperature at that depth to be around 25 only, considerably warmer. Most fish can adapt to slightly warmer temp, but not too high. 26 is ok. My kamohara blenny was caught in 22 degree water but can live perfectly fine in 26.

• Senior Reefer

My deepwater style tank is running.

here's the fish that i've been waiting for. It's an undescribed chromis that was caught along side peppermint angels in the southern pacific, down in the depths. This chromis is a gift from Rufus Kimura, the legendary diver who caught all the peppermint angels, narcosis as well as claire's fairy wrasse.

this gift means the world to me and from Rufus kimura, i am very humbled.

post-0-0-01969800-1383954882_thumb.png

• Senior Reefer

the chromis shares its tank with various other fish, all also preferring shady tank conditions.

one of which is a fairly common Liopropoma. it is also undescribed, but can be found often in philippine shipments. unfortunately this is not an easy fish to keep, and it often suffers from decompression illness. this is my 2nd time trying.

post-0-0-24927400-1383954961_thumb.png

My deepwater style tank is running.

here's the fish that i've been waiting for. It's an undescribed chromis that was caught along side peppermint angels in the southern pacific, down in the depths. This chromis is a gift from Rufus Kimura, the legendary diver who caught all the peppermint angels, narcosis as well as claire's fairy wrasse.

this gift means the world to me and from Rufus kimura, i am very humbled.

The cyan blue will go missing under bright light and becomes a white fish. Mine is a bicolored tone like a bicolored chromis but it is blue and white instead of black and white. I like yours which is more cyan than white.

the chromis shares its tank with various other fish, all also preferring shady tank conditions.

one of which is a fairly common Liopropoma. it is also undescribed, but can be found often in philippine shipments. unfortunately this is not an easy fish to keep, and it often suffers from decompression illness. this is my 2nd time trying.

I have been seeing this fish appearing for years, every time one to two pieces at Ah Beng. Have always been wondering what fish it is. A juvenile Liopropoma Latifasciatum? Or an abnormal Liopropoma Sp. aka Yellow Tail basslet?

Now i feel it is definitely distinct. It is a new species on its own. The blackstripe may overtime seems like its fading and disappearing, but it will not become clean like the liopropoma sp..

• Senior Reefer

It have been seen as a variant of the usual liopropoma sp but I think it is a different species but the black stripe will fade overtime..

where did you get this info from? that it is seen as a variant.

a photo of the two for comparison.

post-0-0-75980000-1384074100_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-96960200-1384074102_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

So beautiful and healthy!

Hope they dont develop swim bladder problem.

Some analysis needs to be done on these two fishes. I strongly believe they are two separate species.

when black stripe liopropoma loses the stripe, the amount of yellow on the tail is also very different from the other yellow tail sp.

they are most definitely two separate species.

some pictures from my dimwater tank.

again the liopropomas.

and a nice healthy helfrichi from digiman.

Love the blue eye rims of the liopropomas!!

The helfrichi is fatter now! But the injured fins need a bit more time to heal to perfection.