Tuan's tank

tuan

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Is your copperband well behaved? What do you feed the butterfly?

Yes - it's a model citizen so far. It spends most of its time foraging for its own food, but will take given food, especially stuff like krill, mysis and chopped cockles/mussels.

It's fav is still Aiptasia though, I culture them in my refugia to treat it :)

Wow...see....I mentioned before that depth makes a world of difference. :bow::bow:

The next time I renovate my house, I will build a 5ft depth tank. :angel::angel::angel:

Believe me, 4ft is about as deep as you want, unless that is you're 8ft tall, very thin and slender, can hold your breath under water for an hour at a time and have very long arms. :lol:

Thanks for all the nice comments.

The real beauty of the tank is the low maintenance. Once all the hard work has been done in design & build, I'm spending less and less time behind the scene. Adding food to the autofeeders and cleaning the skimmer is about all I need to do.

The total system volume is somewhere in the region of 1000-1100 gallons. Water changes is not for the light hearted! I have a dedicated sump ( 8' x 2' tank! ) which I disconnect and empties, refill and reconnect to the system. This manages about 18% volume, and carried out around every 2-3 months. Every other water changes though I would empty both sumps in two stages which will take out about 40%. Salt used tends to be Reef Crystals, sometimes mixed with Kent depending on what I can get cheaply. Usually takes about 1 1/2 buckets for one change!

A lot of the specs/design etc.. is published on my website. Briefly though, the tank is 7' x 4' x 2.5', lit by 4x 400watt MHs with a load of T5s as well. In-tank circulation max out around 50-60 times volume, with 4x 6100 Stream pumps and 2 large Sequence close-loops. Practically all SPS corals are grown from frags, with only a handful of wild specimens of LPS bought second hand from people shutting down.

• SRC Member

Simply awesome Tuan! :)

Whereabouts in the UK do you live? My job brings me there about 2 to 3 times a year. If not too far from London, mind if I drop by for a peek at your reef? ;)

Hmmm... ever thought of using a couple of ATI parabolic reflectors with those T5s?

Dan

Simply awesome Tuan! :)

Whereabouts in the UK do you live?  My job brings me there about 2 to 3 times a year.  If not too far from London, mind if I drop by for a peek at your reef? ;)

Hmmm... ever thought of using a couple of ATI parabolic reflectors with those T5s?

Dan

About an hour north of London, near Stansted airport.

And yep - all the T5s have proper reflectors. The pics shown were taken when I was just arranging them for wiring up.

eerrrrmmmmm....boss, hope TOTM does not apply for foreigners....if not tuan will be next then it will not be very fair for locals... :D:lol:

Why wouldn't it be fair? You guys have some amazing tanks too. AT's tank was TOTM on RC, and I personally put forward Nick's (Dodo?) on another BB which I moderate.

for SRC to gain greater international recognition..why not open to reefers who are interested to share their reefing sucess and experiences?

Tuan, you have an awesome tank...cheers