Removing encrusted monti from LR

Hi reefing bros & sis,

My red monti growing & encrusted on my large piece of incline rockwork. Juz wondering if there's any method to remove it without actually destroying & killing the monti?

Posted Image

Any advises will be appreciated, thanks for reading.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Can you remove the rock?..trimming it would be good...or just breaking..once encrusted they are quite hard..to remove with out injuring.btw Sweet monti! :D

Cheers!

• Like 1

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Can you remove the rock?..trimming it would be good...or just breaking..once encrusted they are quite hard..to remove with out injuring.btw Sweet monti! :D

Cheers!

Dun think I will remove the rock as there r other corals & sps glued to it and it's actually quite a big boulder piece. So I can't remove it as I dun wanna disturb the other corals. Anyway thanks for ur suggestion.

Try using a chisel and chisel your way around the monti.Juz suggesting

:D

Dats a nice monti,haven't seen one before,where'd you get it?It's on my wish list since I started

:P

Can't really chisel it off. I tried using a scraper & coral cutter to scrap it off & it's quite brittle & breaks in small pieces easily. Dun wanna do that as it will cause more damage. Thks for ur suggestion though.

My monti from GO, those 3 for $100 sps. It grew from ~3" in diameter colony to 3 big colonies ard 4-5" where I placed in different location in my tank. If u like, I can break a small frag for u. Pls PM me.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Anyone knows?

Up

He wants the whole coral. If you can't chisel,what can you do? :o
He wants the whole coral. If you can't chisel,what can you do? :o
I think it will be tough to remove. Maybe I try cutting off bit by bit.

Dremel tool
Sorry, bro but I dun hv this tool.

• Sponsor

I often have similar issues with plating montipora. As their skeleton is relatively fragile, they will fracture and break before you can remove them in one piece. Sometimes you are lucky and the joined area is small enough to chip off with a small screw driver (or similar), but this has rarely been the case for myself. Normally, I just try to get big pieces off and start new colonies. If they like the tank, they will grow away quickly.

Jamie

Jamie Vande

Vertex Aquaristik

Cologne, Germany

www.vertexaquaristik.com

jamie@vertexaquaristik.de

• SRC Member

You can't dremel underwater in the first place. Imo a wood knife (alternating spike version) would be enough to cut a v shape into the rock and remove the monti and a small piece of rock

I often have similar issues with plating montipora. As their skeleton is relatively fragile, they will fracture and break before you can remove them in one piece. Sometimes you are lucky and the joined area is small enough to chip off with a small screw driver (or similar), but this has rarely been the case for myself. Normally, I just try to get big pieces off and start new colonies. If they like the tank, they will grow away quickly. Jamie
You can't dremel underwater in the first place. Imo a wood knife (alternating spike version) would be enough to cut a v shape into the rock and remove the monti and a small piece of rock
Thanks for the advise, will give these methods a try. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
there's really no real way to remove it 100% completely w/o injuring it. dont worry it will grow back nicely with the right condition...
Guess I can only trim off excess edges to downsize it. Thanks.