Things to buy in Daiso for your tank!

Firestarter

• SRC Member
There is a piece of air filter pad they sell for air conditioning units, good for chillers, to keep dust out.
Will try to take a pic of the air filter when I'm at daiso. I seem to recall that it was first shared by Mini-reefer in his thread.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

I got mine from vivo city daiso

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member
I believe most daiso that I've seen have this bro (:

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Nice to see the ts has posted something lighthearted for a change! Personally i like to use the disposable knife set. The one with 10 blades a pack. Once the blade rusts just throw away and replace. Only $.2 per blade anyways!!

• 4 weeks later...

Frag plug leg

Stick your DIY frag plugs on it to create the legs. Long enough to stick firmly into liverock crevices or on the sandbed. Snap them off if its too long.

attachicon.gif DSC_2068.JPG

Was wondering if this is reef safe cause i notice it is made of wood painted white...wonder if the paint is safe for inverts and corals?

• SRC Member

Was wondering if this is reef safe cause i notice it is made of wood painted white...wonder if the paint is safe for inverts and corals?

The ones that I saw were plastic. If its wood like what you said I don't think it is reef safe.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

DIY frag plugs - (my personal "secret" which I will share!) :)

Make your own DIY frag plugs for only $4!

Buy a packet of EASY QUICK SETTING cement, $2. NOTE I HAVE ONLY USED THIS QUICK SETTING TYPE, I'm not responsible for the other types as I have not tried.

Buy an ice cube tray with the other $2.

attachicon.gif DSC_1689.JPG

Here are the steps.

1. Mix the cement powder with water in a disposable container (I use those tao huay containers)

2. Mix until the texture is similar to mashed potato (I use estimation, cant help you here on the exact formula)

3. Use a disposable spoon to scoop the mixture into each cube

4. After filling the whole tray, knock the tray against a hard surface (floor) to make the paste flat

5. Leave it overnight to dry (approx 6-12 hrs)

6. To remove the plugs, bend the tray outwards slightly and they will pop out

7. Remove the excess edges by 'rubbing' a few plugs together

Note: If you want thicker plugs, fill with more mixture. If your plugs are weak and crack easily, or have crack lines, I suggest you redo again as you either put too much or too little water. You may want to try making 1 or 2 plugs first until you get the right mixture.

1 packet can make about 3 rounds of 24pc plugs depending on how thick you want.

The plugs are ready to use and no extra baking or drying etc needed.

Here is a pic of the end results:

attachicon.gif DSC_2061.JPG

Bro, sorry ah need to ask a question. I got the same exact quick setting cement as you from daiso and managed to make the frag plugs..but when i soak it in water...there was some weird sediments that came out from it settling at the surface of the water...was wondering if it is normal and safe?

e1b1d4db7364c32d7d70662107c75f37.jpg

DIY frag plugs - (my personal "secret" which I will share!) :)

Make your own DIY frag plugs for only $4!

Buy a packet of EASY QUICK SETTING cement, $2. NOTE I HAVE ONLY USED THIS QUICK SETTING TYPE, I'm not responsible for the other types as I have not tried.

Buy an ice cube tray with the other $2.

attachicon.gif DSC_1689.JPG

Here are the steps.

1. Mix the cement powder with water in a disposable container (I use those tao huay containers)

2. Mix until the texture is similar to mashed potato (I use estimation, cant help you here on the exact formula)

3. Use a disposable spoon to scoop the mixture into each cube

4. After filling the whole tray, knock the tray against a hard surface (floor) to make the paste flat

5. Leave it overnight to dry (approx 6-12 hrs)

6. To remove the plugs, bend the tray outwards slightly and they will pop out

7. Remove the excess edges by 'rubbing' a few plugs together

Note: If you want thicker plugs, fill with more mixture. If your plugs are weak and crack easily, or have crack lines, I suggest you redo again as you either put too much or too little water. You may want to try making 1 or 2 plugs first until you get the right mixture.

1 packet can make about 3 rounds of 24pc plugs depending on how thick you want.

The plugs are ready to use and no extra baking or drying etc needed.

Here is a pic of the end results:

attachicon.gif DSC_2061.JPG

Bro, sorry ah need to ask a question. I got the same exact quick setting cement as you from daiso and managed to make the frag plugs..but when i soak it in water...there was some weird sediments that came out from it settling at the surface of the water...was wondering if it is normal and safe?

e1b1d4db7364c32d7d70662107c75f37.jpg

Got these pen holders from Daiso to house my biofilters in my tank.

They come with a nice 45 degree slope which allows me to put one on top of the other and cable tie the 2 holders together to form a nice housing for my bio filters. The holes are just nice too.

post-23811-0-91063400-1412235743_thumb.j

post-23811-0-88261000-1412235753_thumb.j

• SRC Member
Bro, sorry ah need to ask a question. I got the same exact quick setting cement as you from daiso and managed to make the frag plugs..but when i soak it in water...there was some weird sediments that came out from it settling at the surface of the water...was wondering if it is normal and safe? e1b1d4db7364c32d7d70662107c75f37.jpg
Just rinse the plugs under the tap before use. I have been placing the plugs straight into my tank with no problems so far for 2 years.

• SRC Member
Got these pen holders from Daiso to house my biofilters in my tank. They come with a nice 45 degree slope which allows me to put one on top of the other and cable tie the 2 holders together to form a nice housing for my bio filters. The holes are just nice too.
The 'cages' make good use for holding small fishes too.
  • Like 1

• SRC Member
Alright cool thanks!!!
When you first place the plug in water it will release tiny air bubbles.. do not be alarmed its totally normal. As for the sediments, did you chaft off the edges after removing from the tray? There will be some fine powdery dust just rinse it off with tap water. For me I am too lazy and just use without rinising.

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

Overflow comb

Used for those who are looking for overflow teeth or comb.

attachicon.gifDSC_2059.JPG

Mini sponge

Magic sponge, used for cleaning tough to remove algae.

Comes in small cubes, use and throw away, convenient!

attachicon.gifDSC_2060.JPG

thanks for sharing bro. Never realize can find so many goodies at Daiso for tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk