Temperate Deepwater Tank

Paul Ng

I have been keeping both freshwater and marine inverts/fish for a number of years now, but the animals that have intrigued and captivated me the most are undoubtedly the ones that inhabit deeper waters.

Of course, the restricting factors for maintaining such animals start with obtaining them, with only a handful of species available to the average aquarist. Many of these animals also have very specific care requirements, such temperature, diet, and sensitivity to light.

After a few months of planning, my current tank was set up in August 14' and built by Aquarium Iwarna, who not only constructed the tank, but gave invaluable input towards the required equipment and feasibility of the tank and its long term maintenance.

They were also able to bring in some interesting temperate/sub-tropical animals in to stock the tank. (Huge thanks to Justin & Jun Kai.)

Tank : 3 X 1.5 X 1.5 Dual pane glass & 32" sump with Central overflow ( 14°C)

Pump : Jebao 9000

Chiller : Hailea HS-66A 1/4 HP

Skimmer : Bubble Magus C3.5

Lights : Current USA LED+

post-23732-0-12048500-1420196259_thumb.jpost-23732-0-48212400-1420196289_thumb.jpost-23732-0-34161200-1420196376_thumb.jpost-23732-0-92322200-1420196401_thumb.jpost-23732-0-96022200-1420196409_thumb.j

• SRC Member

For a 1/4 hp chiller to cool to 14 will take ages, if possible at all. And I doubt it will stop. Your utilities will be sky high...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ummmm but i think he has done it as can be seen from the photos with the animals inside. So, CONGRATS Johora for achieving this! Your tank looks beautiful yet simple at the same time.

2u72lqx.gif

Cool. May I kindly ask a few questions?

What do you feed them? What temperature is your tank maintained at? Are these creatures blind to red light?

Thanks

Prawn, squid & mussels mostly, the tank is maintained at 14 degrees. From what I've observed, the animals reacted to red light as they would to normal white or blue lights.

Wow 14°C. Will that cause a alot of water vapour on the glass?

There is minimal condensation on the display due to the insulation provided by the dual paned glass.

For a 1/4 hp chiller to cool to 14 will take ages, if possible at all. And I doubt it will stop. Your utilities will be sky high...

About 4 months running now and no problems yet. Electricity bill has surely increased, but not by a vast amount.

ummmm but i think he has done it as can be seen from the photos with the animals inside. So, CONGRATS Johora for achieving this! Your tank looks beautiful yet simple at the same time.

Thanks !

• SRC Member

Prawn, squid & mussels mostly, the tank is maintained at 14 degrees. From what I've observed, the animals reacted to red light as they would to normal white or blue lights.

There is minimal condensation on the display due to the insulation provided by the dual paned glass.

About 4 months running now and no problems yet. Electricity bill has surely increased, but not by a vast amount.

Thanks !

Oops. Pardon my ignorance. Never venture into sub 20 temperatures before.

The dual paned glass does not affect the viewing angle right?

Can PM where you got it fabricated? Thanks.

That is really cool. Especially the giant isopod.

• SRC Member

Oops. Pardon my ignorance. Never venture into sub 20 temperatures before.

The dual paned glass does not affect the viewing angle right?

Can PM where you got it fabricated? Thanks.

That is really cool. Especially the giant isopod.

I think he said he got it made by Iwarna as stated on the first post of this great thread ;)

2u72lqx.gif

U holding giant isopod with urs hands?? Does it bites? Looks cute.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

U holding giant isopod with urs hands?? Does it bites? Looks cute.

wondering the same here. read somewhere isopods can burrow into our skin etc.

These isopods are harmless.

Nice tank !

Love your quirky inverts

Thanks!

Wow lucky find! How did you manage to hold it? Heard they are very slimy and almost impossible to hold.

Only held them a few seconds to get the shot, slipped away almost immediately after!

Woah awesome collection bro! Camping here for more updates!

Thanks!