3ft marine tank

Darren Sim

Hi reefers, decided to start a tread to ask opinions from all those experience reefers about my tank ! I will go step by step and hope you guys can guide me along ! 

Firstly my 3ft, 1.5ft, 1.5ft tank, decided to change from FW to SW ! (No sump) 

Spec:

Eheim ecco pro 200

Reef skimmer octopus bh 1000

2x Jebao Wp20

3 feet Beamworks light with blue and white lights

Hydra stream 2

No chiller because at aircon room and temperature have always been maintaining at 25-27 degrees! Cycled my tank for 1.5 weeks. Used live rocks and also NSW. 

Test kit 

Ammonia : 0

Nitrite : 0

Nitrate: 35

As you can see some of my live rocks have brown algea! So I quickly bought some cleaning friend to help with the problem! 

Any feedback for the aquascape and etc feel free to comment ! I also need to learn more ! By the way going to water change tomorrow! 

Livestock

2x True percula clownfish

1x normal clownfish 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Exciting time ahead for you! Have u decided what do you want to keep?

going for LPS such as fox coral, bubble, frogspawn, torch coral, hammer coral, candy cane and brain. Maybe if my water parameters is good i will add some zoa in too. Hope to look for frags or smaller coral so if refeer have please pm me ! 

• SRC Member

Nice set up! The 1.5 ft width makes the 3ft length looks so long and gives it a really nice look ! Always loved long tanks . Goodluck ! Scaping looks like can place quite a lot of corals :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Nice set up! The 1.5 ft width makes the 3ft length looks so long and gives it a really nice look ! Always loved long tanks . Goodluck ! Scaping looks like can place quite a lot of corals :)

I purposely rearranged my live rocks so i can put all the corals that needed high flow and high light above. Can't wait to start putting my corals on top by next month ! 

• SRC Member
I purposely rearranged my live rocks so i can put all the corals that needed high flow and high light above. Can't wait to start putting my corals on top by next month ! 

Yeah great arrangement , would love to see some pics when it happens! :)

Rem to stock up slowly.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Hi Darren, I agreed with Admiraltian on stocking up slowing. Patience is the key to success. This is the time to read and plan what livestock u want.

Yup! So meanwhile have been reading this forums on their tanks. Your tank also super impressive too!

Agrees ! As some fish are not fish safe , must decide what you wanna go for early so you won't regret in the end

1x tuxedo urchin
2x Hermit carb
5x turbo snail
1x sea cucumber 
2x cleaner shrimp
2x watchman goby
2x true percula clownfish
2x purple firefish
1x flame angel 
1x fox face
5x Blue/Green reef chromis

After 3 months

1x mandarin dragonet 

1x blue tang 

1x yellow tang 
1x sailfin tang 

LPS 
Candy cane coral 
Torch coral
Bubble coral
Frogspawn coral
Hammer coral
Plate coral 
Brain coral
Fox coral 

Planning to keep all these. Feedback on this? It's overstock?

• SRC Member

1x tuxedo urchin2x Hermit carb5x turbo snail1x sea cucumber 2x cleaner shrimp2x watchman goby2x true percula clownfish2x purple firefish1x flame angel 1x fox face5x Blue/Green reef chromis After 3 months1x mandarin dragonet 

1x blue tang 

1x yellow tang 1x sailfin tang   LPS Candy cane coral Torch coralBubble coralFrogspawn coralHammer coralPlate coral Brain coralFox coral    Planning to keep all these. Feedback on this? It's overstock?

Looks good , but you have to be careful on what hermits you add or they may cause more damage than good to your reef, can research on them first before adding in. I myself use a golden head blueline sand sifting goby instead to keep my sand bed clean, but these buggers do throw sand on your corals by accident, so you have to monitor. As for the gobies like watchman and purple fire fish, if you want to keep 2 best if you get a mated pair or they might fight. As for dragonnet make sure you have enough amphipods and copepods population from your fuge(if you're gonna have one) before adding one as thats their diet. Lastly as for blue tang, I would add it the last after our tank matures and is able to cope with the bioload well as blue tangs do grow big and have big appetite and it may cause your tank to crash if you add it too early and the bioload is too much. For corals , good choices of LPS and I think they will look great in your 3footer :)

Hahaha don't think will overstock as long you choose the smallest size you can find. For the tangs I suggest do a dip before putting into the tank or go through 2-3 week of qt to make sure there's no ich. Else you could buy from any people that decomming or reputation farm/shop.

One thing about hermit crab is knocking over my corals if left unglue, in the last I feel they are interesting creature but not anymore.

Another thing is urchin, they will move yor zoa around if you fall in love with zoas.

I would recommend you to add chromis first because they are cheap and shy at nature.

• SRC Member

Yes agree with bro josephwzr as well . Angels are kind of a hit or miss in a reef tank so do becareful . Try to dip the food with garlic in future when u get one to help prevent ich for the blue tang.

Looks good , but you have to be careful on what hermits you add or they may cause more damage than good to your reef, can research on them first before adding in. I myself use a golden head blueline sand sifting goby instead to keep my sand bed clean, but these buggers do throw sand on your corals by accident, so you have to monitor. As for the gobies like watchman and purple fire fish, if you want to keep 2 best if you get a mated pair or they might fight. As for dragonnet make sure you have enough amphipods and copepods population from your fuge(if you're gonna have one) before adding one as thats their diet. Lastly as for blue tang, I would add it the last after our tank matures and is able to cope with the bioload well as blue tangs do grow big and have big appetite and it may cause your tank to crash if you add it too early and the bioload is too much. For corals , good choices of LPS and I think they will look great in your 3footer :)

tThank you so much for your advises ! Blue tang must really wait for 3months and above to keep it! Haha. Btw you mentioned that you have golden head blueline sand sifting goby can you show us a photo of that?

Hermit crab MIGHT eat your snails. Flame angel might also nip on your corals, it's a risk to try. And for blue tang, it's best to have a quarantine tank as they are really ich magnets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree but keeping flame angel is one of my dream fish sia. Haha. Hopefully able to get one lucky one that doesn't nip on my corals

Hahaha don't think will overstock as long you choose the smallest size you can find. For the tangs I suggest do a dip before putting into the tank or go through 2-3 week of qt to make sure there's no ich. Else you could buy from any people that decomming or reputation farm/shop.

One thing about hermit crab is knocking over my corals if left unglue, in the last I feel they are interesting creature but not anymore.

Another thing is urchin, they will move yor zoa around if you fall in love with zoas.

I would recommend you to add chromis first because they are cheap and shy at nature.

Hi bro, I'm going to get everything in a small size then slowly see them grow! Haha. Btw what do you mean your urchin move your zoa? They literally move zoa from one side to another?