Kick Ass Mantis!

Its a 'smasher' mantis! :)

In Sipadan, the DM dropped a small stone into a mantis' lair a few times and it always pushed it out! Wonder what would have happened if I rested my hand over its lair accidentally.... probably land in hospital with a lot of stiches if it was the spearer kind! :shock:

• SRC Supporter

my god...

that was indeed cruel!!

but was the lobster suppose to be a fierce creature?

i cant imagine it cant attack the mantis..the mantis sure have thick armor..

wonder what eats these mantis in the sea?

maybe an octopus?

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

Wow....can hear the kicking sound.....I saw Reborn selling some big mantis.....! Wonder who is gonna buy it?? :huh: Seafood resturant? :huh::lol::lol:

• SRC Supporter

Used to keep a 4 inch Peacock Mantis in a acrylic compartment housed within my sump.... it did not take very long for the Mantis to smash open the acrylic casing and escape .... fortunately, the acrylic housing wasn't in my previous 5 footer reef. :whistle:nuke:

my god...

that was indeed cruel!!

but was the lobster suppose to be a fierce creature?

i cant imagine it cant attack the mantis..the mantis sure have thick armor..

wonder what eats these mantis in the sea?

maybe an octopus?

Mantis are very fierce and intelligent creature.. For the group of mantis that are known as smasher..... their meal mainly consist of hard shell invert such as crabs and lobster and even mussels..... Read from somewhere that their strength of smashing is equal to a small calibre bullet and known to spilt glass tank..... these are the one that make nuisance clicking sound in your tank if you do have them

Another group of mantis known as the spearer are deadly as they feed on your precious fishes......

BTW the speed of the mantis shrimp's catching its prey is one of the fastest in the animal kingdom