New 3x2x2 Tank Setup

Rocks

• SRC Member

I am in the midst of cycling my new 3ft tank, thought i start a new topic here so i can see support/comment/advise from the more experience reefers out there.

I am into my 6th day of the cycling cycle with cured liverocks. Things are not there yet (tunze, skimmer, chiller, etc) but i am getting there slowly..

Current Equipment

36"x24"x24" Tank

30"x18"x16" Sump

Weipro MH7000 return pump (5000l/hr)

Weipro SA2013 Skimmer / 2400l/hr pump - (setting up soon)

Acadia T5 4x39watts

. Filter media (rowa?carbon?... recommendations?)

. (building the list)

Below are just a few pics to share.. comments / advises are most welcome.. :)

post-34-1087458835.jpg

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

wow...thats an interesting piece of LR you have there :D A huge clam was once it's home..... :D

bro. some blue Acthinic lights would do your tank good...... ;) Overall set-up very well done...... :bow:

I particularly like the LR branches you constructed.....very nice and clean set-up!

what are you planning to keep bro?

By the congrats and welcome to the club of reefing! :D

• SRC Member

AP~ Thank you for such kind, encouraging words...

currently i am using Arcadia T5 - 2x39w (Marine Blue Actinic - 480nm) and 2x39w (Marine White Lamp - 9500k).. i guess that will only meet the min. requirement, being new, i will think about upgrading probably after the tank has been established..

currently looking for a chiller and wavemaker (ie: tunze).. any recommendation on both items?

CHEERS !

LiveRock :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
AP~ Thank you for such kind, encouraging words...

currently i am using Arcadia T5 - 2x39w (Marine Blue Actinic - 480nm) and 2x39w (Marine White Lamp - 9500k).. i guess that will only meet the min. requirement, being new, i will think about upgrading probably after the tank has been established..

currently looking for a chiller and wavemaker (ie: tunze).. any recommendation on both items?

CHEERS !

you're most welcome..... :D I am particulary impressed already!

for Tunze....you will need to know what you intend to keep and as for a chiller I suggest you go for Artica or Teco.... :D

• SRC Member

ok....nice rockscape...... did u use eggcrates or just rocks for stacking... >???? like the part that cover the overflow .........IMO.... since u getting a good chiller... why not bite the bullet and buy yourself a MH...... i have bought a MH 400w for a reasonable price........ IMO only.... :thanks:

• SRC Member
ok....nice rockscape...... did u use eggcrates or just rocks for stacking... >???? like the part that cover the overflow .........IMO.... since u getting a good chiller... why not bite the bullet and buy yourself a MH...... i have bought a MH 400w for a reasonable price........ IMO only.... :thanks:

:thanks: sps_dude,

the rocks are stacked in a way that it inter-lock each other firmly (did some kind of shock/balance test to make sure it is stable)...

also i have constructed a circulation piping structure (see below) inside the right rockscape to provide flow circulation inside the rocks corners.. powered by a 1100l/hr pump just above the tank's.

Yes, I am toying with the idea of getting a MH (thank you) ... but not so soon, since i am new to this hobby, think i will acquire the basic knowledge first and get the tank going after which than I consider what stuff I want to invest for upgrading...

post-34-1087462570.jpg

• SRC Member

:thanks: Domino,

no idea about what pump to use for Skimmer yet... should be some where at 2400 l/hr range.. so next time this pump can be use for someother option.

thinking of Rio, Aqua Bee ... any recommendation?

LiveRock :)

• SRC Member

:lol::lol: sps_dude.. i just rock the whole structure, press, shake part of it to see whether the any lose rock or will the whole structure give way or not ... :D

untill satisfied that leave it alone lor ... my theory of shock/balance test ... :P

LiveRock

• SRC Member

:thanks: Tigger for your comment...

bwilly,

agreed Aqua Bee rather ex... my objective is to look for a 2400 l/hr and low wattage pump, want to keep the operation cost min.

sorry, kind to enlighten me about your comment on checking my flow around the tank ?

wah lao see bei swee :yeah: BTW bro can tell me how much u brought the tank

• SRC Member

:thanks: Golden_Tooth ... still a long way and lot more to learn from the reef guru here... :)

Popcorn M3:

Tank + Sump (with sump media) + bioballs + cabinet (with hood) + return pump + piping = less than S$1K

thinking of starting another tank? :angel:

CHEERS!!

LiveRock

currently me tank size oni 3x1.5x1.5 ,sump tank 2x1.5x1.5

thinking of getting a new tank 4x2.5x2.5 after shifting to new house

end this end. standby 5kg of biohome for media :eyebrow:

• SRC Member

Arctica Titanium Chiller : Model DBA-150

getting the above chiller for my tank.. anyone has good/bad feedback on this chiller? would like to hear from you before investing...

Here are some specs from their website on this model

Model: DBA-150

HP: 1/5

Capacity: 2400 btu/hr

volts: 115

Amps: 5.0

Flow Rate: 8 GPM (min) / 22 GPM (max)

Tank size: up to 180 gallons

• SRC Member

just to ask...

how many snails, hermit crabs do one usually throw in the tank to eat up algae ?..

big size or small size one ?...

CHEERS!

LiveRock ;)

Ordered the Arctica chiller ... will only deliver in a week time ... mean while will have to wait wait wait wait ..... :snore:

• SRC Member
currently me tank size oni 3x1.5x1.5 ,sump tank 2x1.5x1.5

thinking of getting a new tank 4x2.5x2.5 after shifting to new house

end this end. standby 5kg of biohome for media :eyebrow:

if you interested let me know what tank, sump, etc etc spec you want, i can ask the price for you..

CHEERS !