Renovstion at Aquastar

• SRC Member

Had seen Aquastar setting up new tanks ( Change old tank to new one ) for the pass few days.

Went there today and saw that the center row tank where they keep their marine fish is dry & empty. Only left a few tanks selling marine fish & shrimp.

Are they going to continue selling marine fish after the renovation?

:unsure:

• SRC Member

seems like shifting to freshwater again hor? some of the marine tanks they convert to freshwater liao... dunno.. maybe they tired of having their corals and fishes die on them as they have little or no knowledge or resources to keep them alive for long. sometimes see their fish tank like full of dead fishes, I see liao also sian

Live and Let Live

I read so many negative comments abt aquastar on many forums.

I myself dislike the boss and feel the way the marine fishes are treated, left alot to be desired.

But, it seems to me aquastar business is doing really well...everytime i walk pass that place, i just cant help but to notice their lfs are always frequent by customers..

to tt, i wonder, why???

a few things comes to my mind....

1.it is probably the only marine shop in yishun selling relatively cheaply as compared to the rest in that area.

2. they have more variety of fishes/equipments to choose from.

3. their shop are big scale/size and more prominant.

3. People arnt the least borther by the way marine fish is treated in their lfs. what they care abt is able to find and buy their fish at a cheap price.

just a thought.....

• SRC Member
I read so many negative comments abt aquastar on many forums.

I myself dislike the boss and feel the way the marine fishes are treated, left alot to be desired.

But, it seems to me aquastar business is doing really well...everytime i walk pass that place, i just cant help but to notice their lfs are always frequent by customers..

to tt, i wonder, why???

a few things comes to my mind....

1.it is probably the only marine shop in yishun selling relatively cheaply as compared to the rest in that area.

2. they have more variety of fishes/equipments to choose from.

3. their shop are big scale/size and more prominant.

3. People arnt the least borther by the way marine fish is treated in their lfs. what they care abt is able to find and buy their fish at a cheap price.

just a thought.....

Hmmm if that place is cheap, it might explain why there are crowds....

But RalnBow exp and unreliable why so many people also ;)

I think the main reason is the price, on certain things (not all things though) I would say that they are one of the cheapest in this island.

Equipment wise, I'd say they carry quite a few but they don't always have stock for all the brands.

Livestock wise, never bought any because not quite appealing to me hehe.

They seem to position themselves selling lower end stuffs and use price as the major attraction factor. And may be also because they can not sell SW fish at the price of arowana so they put relatively lesser emphasis on it.

• SRC Member

so the theory is, buy fishes b4 they unpack.. there's nothing much we can do on how they treat their fishes. their stock come on friday night. and the new tanks are for marine, i asked.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

hi,

My take on AS is that their customer base is mostly the ignorant ones.

I swear I will never ever step into any of the LFS in Yishun.

I would rather pay a few dollars more to support the real McCoys

than those who have zero regards for marine lives.

hi,

My take on AS is that their customer base is mostly the ignorant ones.

I swear I will never ever step into any of the LFS in Yishun.

I would rather pay a few dollars more to support the real McCoys

than those who have zero regards for marine lives.

I wouldnt make any promise though....my opinions differ.

I always feel that whenever I bought fishes from AS, I am infact saving the live of the fish.

If u think of it this way, you will prolly feel better.

But thats my own way of thinking...to each his own... :D

I wouldnt make any promise though....my opinions differ.

I always feel that whenever I bought fishes from AS, I am infact saving the live of the fish.

If u think of it this way, you will prolly feel better.

But thats my own way of thinking...to each his own... :D

In fact, I feel that the fishes in most LFS are dying and waiting to be saved, though at a different degrees.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Went there this afternoon, saw them setting up a new tank.

It size is about 2 x 1.5 x 3 ft. Saw a large piece of liverock in there and there're in the process of pouring in sand ( Size 1 - heard one of the lady said ). Will go back and see it maybe tomorrow or tueday. :whistle

• SRC Member

If you think you are saving the fish that you are buying, you may be right, but you are not far sighted enough. you buy their fish, you're encouraging them to bring in more stock and jepeordize more fish's lives. think to ensure that the fishes are well taken care of, either educate them or boycott them. :P

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

IMHO

1. I don't really like 2 of the young chap whom are unpacking the fish. As for Collin, you will be surprise that he knows marine LS pretty well. (Well, at least he knows what is the fish AS is selling, basic food and maintenance)

2. The boss, well he is alright too.

3. I don't really like seeing LS in the overcrowded tank in the center. Stress them out too much.

4. Ratio of LS that die on me is ratio is 4: 6.

Dead (RIP)

1 lion fish die mysteriously after 5 days.

1 Regal Angel, 2 butterfly die because of my own stupidity.

1 Pygmy Yellowtail Angel die because I give it garlic essence BS and the layer of oil was flooding onto the beta tank thus prevent O2 to get it.

Still alive till today

1 Coral beauty angel

1 Blood shrimp

1 CS

1 Elibi Angel

1 Tomini Tang

1 Purple tip Anemone

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

all the fishes I bought from there(majority of my butterflies, my firegobies and yellow tang) all alive. cause I bought them while they were unpacking the goods and they were still in plastic bags... IMO, grab them before theya dd them into tank. then with TLC they will do well.

They knowledgeable?? hmm... then that makes it worse, they know darn well what the LS cannot endure yet they let this hapen right under their noses. They can't be bothered? too business minded maybe? their six 4 feet tanks running on one small macro skimmer :shock:

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

I beg to be different.

I think that any LS (execept the dedicate ones aka those with newspaper in the double layered plastic bag) can survival the 2 chap mistreatment would most likely surive in our tank. I would prefer them to open fast and relieve the fish of the mistreatment of being held in such a small bag for 3 or more hrs.

• SRC Member
Went there this evening, the new setup go no LSin it. Just liverock , sand and water that all. Notice those marine tank got no light, so really can't see the color of the fish. Really dull. :(

LS will only be in on Friday night. By yoday the LS there should have left abit as other LFS as take their stocks from them.

hahah...i read this and the other thread with amuse..

flaming comments aplenty....but notice the same ppl still went there to buy no matter how critical they are to the shop and its owner. (me inclusive)

lets face it...how many LFS in spore actually closes down or change their method of housing their LS just because forumers are flaming them in forums? I bet not many, if not none. Ultimately the sporean mentality is quite obvious here.....complain and complain..but ultimately...who cares? who will borther to take some concrete and concerted effort in making sure the shop owner wake up his idea??

I hope I can be proven wrong....But dont depend on me to educate them :P ....cos though i have a sense of responsibility towards my own fish, I am not anywhere near a marine life conservationist.