Acrylic Tank

seamonkee

• SRC Member

Ok folks, I am now in the key decision of choosing between acrylic and glass for my 5x2x2 tank... The tank is integrated as part of a wall feature...

I heard abt the pros and cons of acrylic over glass.... I was thinking of acrylic since it is going to be part of wall feature (long-term),

Knowing that the only downside is that it scratches easily, how do I scrap away coralline algae without fear of scratching my tank?

• SRC Member

do u know the scratch can be repaired.... i forget how... but it can be repaired........ just use those type of green scouring pad those that housewife use to clean their wok ... make sure its new.. thats it...... byt acrylic tanks are hard to get and also more expensive u know.....

• SRC Member

Yup... I know... but it will be a long-term investment.. I was thinking...

I heard some people use credit card to scrap the coralline relatively safe without scratches... otherwise, a block of acrylic....

There's also a pro scrapper by Kent Marine which supposedly work with acrylic tank...

Those with acrylic tank, can share ur experience?

• SRC Member

I know magnets wont work, they trap sand particles and gouge your tank, so your cleaning will comprise of plunging your hands in and scraping manually. Credit cards are the best and cheapest, i think.

Actually, i would prefer glass. More scratch proof.

• SRC Member

I heard that the DBS Black Card is a pretty good scraper. Read somewhere that it can take off more coralline algae in one swipe than other cards in the same requirements bracket. Its an Amex. For the budget people who would like to tag it along with their weipro, the POSB debit card is just fine. But of course, you pay for what you get.

• SRC Member

I think glass tank is still the best. If you want good clarity, go for the special glass that AT boss is using (forgot the name). Like what you said, long term investment. :lol::lol:

Imagine if your tank is part of a wall feature and is all scratched up.... :paiseh::paiseh:<_<<_<:cry::cry::pirate::pirate:

• SRC Member
I heard that the DBS Black Card is a pretty good scraper. Read somewhere that it can take off more coralline algae in one swipe than other cards in the same requirements bracket. Its an Amex. For the budget people who would like to tag it along with their weipro, the POSB debit card is just fine. But of course, you pay for what you get.

damn good joke of the day :lol:

• SRC Member

just take a look at my black card n others....heheheh no difference lei :angel::angel:

• SRC Member

Take a close look and check out the edge of the black card. The angle of the edge is slightly different, tats make the difference in efficency.

• SRC Member
Take a close look and check out the edge of the black card. The angle of the edge is slightly different, tats make the difference in efficency.

got meh??..... :P my ###### eyes say same hehehe mayb need microscope to verify hehehe :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

I have 3' acrylic tank and using magnet cleaner, a few time LR crash to side, so far no scrtch ( 4 months ). Or may be I clean gently :D

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
I think glass tank is still the best.  If you want good clarity, go for the special glass that AT boss is using (forgot the name).  Like what you said, long term investment.  :lol:  :lol:

Imagine if your tank is part of a wall feature and is all scratched up....  :paiseh:  :paiseh:<_<  <_<  :cry:  :cry:  :pirate:  :pirate:

starphire glass u mean? It is to reduce the green tint which happens esp for large sized tanks.....

Still having my doubts on acrylic though... Yup, I called Ian few weeks back and asked him for a quote....