Using Kitchen Sponge to clean front glass

lee

• SRC Member

I have been using those kitchen sponge (those S$1 per pack for 6, top smooth layer and bottom rough) to clean my tank glass for all these while. Recently got those blade-type to remove those stubborn algae growth. Tried those magnetic cleaner for a while but give up because it is difficult to reach certain areas and not hard enough to remove some algae growth.

Don't know if the kitchen sponge is really safe for long term use.

Any better low cost suggestion.

• SRC Member

hi,

if i were u I wont use the sponge anymore..

cause the green part which is the hard part, will be the one that is only able to remove the algae but you will end up having alot of scratches...

believe me I have a badly scratches 4ft tank by using these sponge...

go for blast which is safer and better

• SRC Member

Worse still. If you do help out in household chores, you will notice that this "green" part will give off some green particles on the first few uses.

So I would advise you not to use anymore. Unless someone say the green particles is good for the tank.???? <_<<_<<_<

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

I use an old cashcard myself.

I have this long stick with sponge on the end that I got from a luohan shop. Thinking of adding in an old school razor blade- the one with the rectangular replacment blade (not the entire head/ modern/ gilette version) and superglue to the end of the shaft. Any ideas feasible? And I cant find them old school blades at all!!!!!

Can try to use those unwanted plastic cards like expired credit cards, phone cards, genting hotel door access cards etc etc.

i second with this suggestion, myself hv been doing that all along. u might wanna give that a try....... u might be surprised at the results. :)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
erm.. best not to superglue the blade... the blade will rust over time... and u need to replace it..... IMO

yeah I know but my tank is a bit deep (or my arms a bit short) and my LR and corals are stacked they jut outwards, restricting the space in front of tank. Lets just say its a very tight space between the LR and the front glass pane- my hands bump into my corals whenever I reach further down, where I can really exert much pressure (uncomfortable angle)

• SRC Member

i use scotch brite 'delicate', used for washing cyrstal and wine glasses.

Also been using those $0.50 for 5 pcs razor blades to scrape the algae off. Attached to a tetra algae cleaner stick. Dispose off blade after each use, and it's cheap enough to use a brand new one each time.

• SRC Member

Curious too.. has anyone ever tried those japanese white sponge/foam like thingy which claims to be able to wash dishes without soap. Used to have those product demonstrators around the housing estate centrals showing how to use it. Think it's also suppose to be antibacterial but would it be harmful to the tank?

• SRC Member

Will it not scratch the glass?

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

no it would not provided your's is not a bowfront tank.. :peace:

if u are having difficulty finding the blades, do down to serangoon road and look for shops that sell everything! everything as is vegetables, mags, phone cards and everything, ask the bugger there for razor blades or lining blades.. 100 blades for $6? not too sure..

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member
ha i just use a toothbrush, quite tiring though, but cleans well...

I used toothbrush mainly to scrub off algae growth on the rock & below the front sand bed right down to the tank bottom. (stirring up some of the sand as well)

• SRC Member
as accidents can happen, what kind of damage can be caused to live stock and/or corals ?

It's not exactly a blade actually. It's just a piece of stainless steel that's slightly thinner than a credit card. Try cutting yourself with a credit card. That's about how "sharp" the scraper is. Although it's not sharp still it's not meant to be used on an acrylic tank. Even the magnetic glass cleaner can sometimes scratch arcylic tanks. :):)