Will night light help to grow SPS

• SRC Member

Hi all senior,

I am just wonder if I place say 4 to 12W PL ( 60K ) on at night , right after 250w photoperiods of 9hrs, good for SPS ?

Light sources is 4-12" to SPS.

Just trying today and seem that all SPS poly r sticking out.

Will it harm ? Or good ( me dreaming ? )

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

u will not harm, neither it will make ur sps grow. for growth, best will be 6.5kk MH bulbs, higher PAR. follow by 10kk. but color wise for 6.5kk will be yellowish, thus unappealing to most. ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

I knew it that u would be the first person to reply Haa Haa

Can't sleep in JP ?

My MH is 250w 20K BLV, so blue thinking of changing it to 14K.

Looking at tank now 6.5k look cool to me, and it's only 4W.

Half of my 3' tank is covered.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
Hi all senior,

I am just wonder if I place say 4 to 12W PL ( 60K ) on at night , right after 250w photoperiods of 9hrs, good for SPS ?

Light sources is 4-12" to SPS.

Just trying today and seem that all SPS poly r sticking out.

Will it harm ? Or good ( me dreaming ? )

bro like tat ur fish no need to "sleep" ah?? ;););)

• SRC Member

That's pretty bright for night lights.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Heard from RC that moonlight might trigger coral spawning in a full moon night, so romantic :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

I am sure the sea that these fishes and corals come from has the day and night cycle. Since we advocate duplicating the actual environment the best we can....leave it be and let the lights go off at night. If you really need to see your corals at night...use those night lights will do.

Dun worry, your sps will still grow if condition provided is good....let them take theit time to grow. :lol:

• SRC Member

Ok guys, I will switch off the light, u guys are right, this morning, all my fishs gone crazy.They must have not enough sleep.

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

so should we off the lights..

or let say use MH for 10 hours, then use actinic lights for the next 12 hours..

then maybe 2 hours LIGHTS OFF

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

I think with moonlight or night light you can see all your sps coral in actions.

I feed my coral in the night as I observed that the polyp open full blast in the night - never see before in the day......

I figure out the reason is that in the day time we blast our coral with lights thus they are already getting food in the form of lights but in the night there is no light or only moonlight .... thus they have sort of compensate by opening up the polyp to grab food from the water column ...

Any body care to shed a light ...

• SRC Member

Just want to share my thoughts on the night light, i always see tiny organisms swimming near to the dimly lit night light area of my tank -growing in numbers as it goes further into the night (guess they are doing some courting, mating process....;) - i am thinking the flourescene corals will glow/reflect the blue light brighter when the dimly blue night light shines onto them and attracts these organism to their mouth for food. So it may actually be what it's like in the ocean, when fully fed, the corals may feel good and start to mate - expelling eggs and sperm.... :ph34r:

Just some thoughts and experience.... :paiseh::D

• SRC Member
Your xplanation sounds logical for the first part ... but for the mating part ... Ur hmm .... maybe we should have blue lights in our room for those trying to have kids :lol: (breaking away from the tradition of red light ) :lol:

U will surprise, when I turned on my 20K 250MH in my house for testing,

So romantic.

Remember ###### movies were called "blue picture" :)

Ocean Gump