What do you guys think?

blueheaven

In a Chemistry test I took recently, there is a question on the procedures of water purification.

The question goes like this: What is added to water to remove smell, shit, etc

So reef-minded me wrote Activated Carbon as the answer

But my Chem teacher insisted that this is a wrong answer and it should be Activated Charcoal

The reason she gave is that carbon can be in the form of diamonds, pencil lead, etc

So what do you guys think? Am I correct in this answer? Please state your views :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

That's rubbish! If she has a problem, look into the British Pharmacopoeia or USP, it states Activated Carbon. Charcoal is the black stuff you get after high temperature treatment of plant material. Although that is how most of the Activated Carbon are made, it is still not the appropriate nomenclature.

Also, no use to argue with secondary school teachers. If the textbook says, so then it is so.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I agree with Tanzy's answer and his finishing statement.

Sec School science teachers think within the box.

I tried explaning the science of using air bubbles to remove dirt from a water column aka skimming *a while back. can't remember the details* and I got shot down for suggesting something that is non-existent. =\

• SRC Member

I guess most of the teacher in SG is just in the box. They just follow according to text book and never think out of the box.

In my experience,

I met my son's principle oneday @ her school. Because , I was wonder why their school has habbit( rather said forced ) , kids to keep right when they are walking. They do even have direction signs on the floor.

So I ask her, since SG is left hand drive, is't it make kids confuse if your school priactice keep right.

To fell off the chair she said, "No u r wrong , SG is right hand drive".

I will not get shock if she didn't drive, however she does.

After talking for 15mins, she still insited that SG is right hand drive.

But thank to god, on that time VP come in and solved my problem by saying,

SG is left hand drive, so we keep left while driving, and take over from right. However steering wheel is on right hand side cause we drive on left.

She left with whisper, If I could hear it, than should be

"SG drive on right, u know I am principle how could I wrong".

I am not saying all the teacher allright.

Do meet some good teacher but .....

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Talking about teachers, i've a shoutout to make!

Why are flowers always red and leaves are always green? Isnt that what they told us all along since kindergarten? :lol: There was once i painted something with different color and FAILED!

But i agree with minsmarine that some teachers are good, esp. last time my BIOLOGY teacher. BIO is interested :heh:.

All along i never feel teachers are logical and creative! (Not implying to all teachers but a "small" portion of them) :D.

• SRC Member

Tell me about...I had painstakingly came up with an assignment on how to infuse enthusiasm into pupils in learning English and submitted to my lecturer. When she gave me a F(!!!), I went to ask her why? ;)

She agreed that ideas were creative and I even told her that my classmates who have read them also agreed that it was good and wanted to 'borrow' the idea. However, she whisked out a textbook and said that I should 'regurgitate'(my words) what that was written in it... :o

Sigh...how can we think beyond the box if generalisation is here to stay... :(

One year later, I showed another lecturer the same assignment. She said it was good. Would have given me at least a 'B'. Talk about having an objective outlook... ;)

Made me waste three months to retake a stupid module and killed my interest in that subject after having her for full ten months of lectures... :(

• SRC Member

Singapore is Right Hand Drive. Sometimes you see the "Warning: Left Hand Drive Vehicle" sticker on American cars. In UK, they have both LHD and RHD cars so they have to state clearly when selling cars but the majority is RHD.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

I believe u r referring to where steering wheel is. As far as I understand,

we drive the car at left side so steering wheel is at right hand side. While we take over from right side. Slow traffic have to keep left.

So called Left Hand Driving.

This is bit confusing when talking about steering wheel is the side drive.

Someone ?

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
I believe u r referring to where steering wheel is. As far as I understand,

we drive the car at left side so steering wheel is at right hand side. While we take over from right side. Slow traffic have to keep left.

So called Left Hand Driving.

This is bit confusing when talking about steering wheel is the side drive.

Someone ?

I'm absolutely sure, at least in UK and US, it is according to where your steering wheel is. Maybe Singapore is weird, but then again, it is weird.

When I want to buy car parts from US or Germany, I get very irritated when they state 'available for LHD only' and in the picture, the car has the steering wheel on the left.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Yep very confusing

In Taiwan they say they r right hand drive

In Japan they say they r left hand drive

In SG LTA say we drive on left :)

May be we drive on left is accurate. Rather than LHD, RHD :)

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Minsmarine,

I conclude that its just a misunderstanding of two persons talking from different perceptions between you and the teacher. Don't think it's got anything to do with the box thingy.:)

I think (marine) therefore I am

A little offtopic, but did the question really include the word "shit'?

Hehe...no la typed it out in my hurry to post :lol::lol:

Really sorry if it offended anyone

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Charcoal is carbon. at least this is wat this website said :angel:

wooo ah....

HOOAH!

Charcoal is only 80-90% carbon. :lol: Not quite carbon.

Anyway, Activated Carbon is made the same way as charcoal. It's just not the right and internationally accepted name to use A. Charcoal.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
HOOAH!

Charcoal is only 80-90% carbon. :lol: Not quite carbon.

Anyway, Activated Carbon is made the same way as charcoal. It's just not the right and internationally accepted name to use A. Charcoal.

woooo ah... hor sei bo... :bow:

• SRC Member
woooo ah... hor sei bo... :bow:

OK ok. Which hole did you decide to climb out from? :P

How's the tank and the super sump?

post-36-1093875548.jpg