those having low magnesium problem

hamannbmw

I personally used Epsom Salts, very effective in increasing the mg levels by 100+ppm, but i understand that too much sulphate is no good, so I changed to using Tropic Marin.... :P

Anyway, normal marine additive like SeaC*** is not useless, juz dat the concentration of the mg is lower than Epsom Salts... So u end up doing much more and that is more $$$.... :sick:

Also, many people do not read instructions when they dose, so u may have gotten the wrong dosage, for my 3x2x2, I need to dose 12 spoonfuls per day to increase my mg by 20ppm a day!! And the reccommended dosgae is not more than 20ppm per day, else u risk causing an ionic imbalance.... So I took me more than a week of daily dosage to get it to about 1200ppm... :)

Juz my $0.02... ;)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wat is so important bout magnesium huh?? :D

Cant explain the techincal aspect, coz my England not strong enough, in simple english, it helps to maintain your KH, water with low mg will experience kh dat keeps dropping....

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

I think some reefers have mentioned that massive water change is the most economy way to bring back the Mg level. ;)

Can those reefer with Mg test kit measure the Mg level for the salt mix that you use? Please post the result and the brand of the test kit and salt mix :thanks:

• SRC Member

Extract from the website:

"Some artificial salt mixes have been reported to be deficient in magnesium, These include Tropic Marin and Seachem. Others have been reported to have a substantial excess, including Coralife." :rolleyes:

Can those reefers with Mg test kit measure the Mg level for the salt mix that you use? Please post the result and the brand of the test kit and salt mix :thanks:

• SRC Member
kum sia..... ;) By the way, pardon my ignorance, what is Epsom salt used for initially? :huh:

Epsom salt is used as a laxative. Rarely used now because it is very bitter in the required dose. Senna based laxatives are more commonly used now.

Actually, Magnesium sulphate crystals you see contain a lot of water. Unless it is anhydrous powder, the crystals you see are mainly water. That is why it seems like you have to add a lot of magnesium sulphate to raise the levels in the tank.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Epsom salt is used as a laxative. Rarely used now because it is very bitter in the required dose. Senna based laxatives are more commonly used now.

Actually, Magnesium sulphate crystals you see contain a lot of water. Unless it is anhydrous powder, the crystals you see are mainly water. That is why it seems like you have to add a lot of magnesium sulphate to raise the levels in the tank.

tanzy, are u a scientist?? u really sound like one... ;)

• SRC Member
tanzy has a phD in pharmacy or chemistry-related studies....dun play play :lol:

No permant head damage behind my name thank you. Only masters.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

i been using MArine Environment salt...

those who plan to switch salts can try...almost no need dose Mg..

but kH seems a bit low at times..7-8

i used the Aquafarm or Aqua medic Mg supplement..that seems good too...

just offering some alternatives...

• SRC Member

roidan,

I don't think it's going to make any difference. Both chlorides and sulphates are rather inert in seawater. I think chlorides are easier to dissolve than sulphates.

Here's a trick to add magnesium. You can dissolve magnesium sulphate or chloride in saltwater. Take a big cup of saltwater, chuck in a teaspoon full of magnesium salt, stir it around until everything has dissolve (takes a while) then dump it back in the tank. Keep doing this until the desired amount has been added. Always dose back in an area of high water flow and make sure it there are no fish nearby as high magnesium concentrations can tranquilise them.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

i have managed to increase the mg levels in my 3ft tank from 750ppm to now 900ppm using 1 bottle of bio mg from tropic marine.

btw, i have tested the salt mix from marine environment, the amount of mg it has is about 820-830ppm. i am using salifert test kit. posted this result in one of the treads for salt mix, but seems like no reply so far.

:huh:

other parameters i have from marine environment salt mix:

calcium=250ppm

kh=4

all the results above are obtained using salifert test kit. all the test kits bought within half a year.

anyone with similar test done on other brands of salt mix?

:off:

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi Guys....

Beside Salifert Mg test kit.....what alternative brand (cheaper) is reliable is anybody can share.....just got my Espom Salt but no test kit :rolleyes: ......

Appreciate some advise.... :D

• SRC Member

Hamannbmw & Alan.....how your espom salt/magnesium dosing coming along, if I may ask?? :rolleyes:

Hamannbmw.....you throw in the whole packet??? :huh: ...just to reach 1400ppm??? :huh:

i have managed to increase the mg levels in my 3ft tank from 750ppm to now 900ppm using 1 bottle of bio mg from tropic marine.

btw, i have tested the salt mix from marine environment, the amount of mg it has is about 820-830ppm. i am using salifert test kit. posted this result in one of the treads for salt mix, but seems like no reply so far.

:huh:

other parameters i have from marine environment salt mix:

calcium=250ppm

kh=4

all the results above are obtained using salifert test kit. all the test kits bought within half a year.

anyone with similar test done on other brands of salt mix?

:off:

OMG. Think I will stick to good old Coralife next time.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/