wat r absolute necessary items for successful reef

the most important things to a successful reef tank?

perception. your own perception of a successful reef tank. really dependant.

willingness to learn from failure and accept criticism, be it fair or unfair.

determination.

a big fat wallet/bank balance helps a lot too, contrary to popular belief. :P

• SRC Member

Tank thickness. for 3ft - 10mm 4ft and 5ft > 12mm . 6ft and above>> 15mm etc.

Full euro-bacing.

Lighting T5 HO or MH. (amount of Watt >depend on your tank size, type of coral)

Chiller << ( it able to maintain desired' temp than fan.)

skimmer (US desgin which require powerful pump to work but require higher watt to operate or German/UK design whuch require smaller pump due to needle wheel to work, save watt, high efficiency too) ---- It is important that you get a good and right skimmer for your tank/sump design but depend on your budget.

Water circulation like return pump , tunze wave maker etc>>>important. (but note that >> not all coral require high circulation. )

live rock >> normal, fiji , tonga branch or pre-cured live rock etc .. depend on your tank size, using berlin system etc and your land-scape design. (your budget too as live rock for big tank can cost $400 to $1000).

Calcium or kalk reactor > depend on the type of animal / coral ,you intend to keep. A number of reefer > use both of them. Kalk in auto-top up system, cal-reactor to push cal level up etc.

Nitrate reactor >> when you have extra budget. A number of reefer use it with DSB as DSB will failed after some time etc. or use it to reduce nitrate level further and reduce the needs of water change etc.

Sand >> grade 0 or 1 etc... DSB ?? For big tank, most reefer use DSB to reduce nitrate, but note that DSB >likely to fail after few years. .

many more stuffs ''' ... it depend on your tank size , budget!!!, type of animal/coral etc.. do reading and research . Welcome to this expensive hobby.. :paiseh::lol::lol::lol:

The courage to try new methods and forge breakthroughs (it does happen....)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

Passion

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

I will go with Passion... and A BIG bank account! :P

But then again.... i have a 'budget' tank... ;)

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

1. A good light (150w or 250w MH)

2. A good and powerful chiller

3. LPS and softies don't required too much wave so no need wave maker

4. A super powerful skimmer. Beckett skimmer is highly recommended. This is one equipment that you want to go big.

5. No need CR since only LPS and softies.

6. Get a KR

7. Try to get a tank as big as possible. The bigger, the more stable the water parameters.

• SRC Member

start small, be patient, learn as you go along, and read a lot, either internet or books. don't be too ambitious at the beginning, this is an expensive hobby to ###### up due to over eagerness.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".