How hot is MH?

corrado

• SRC Member

Hi folks,

Has anyone measured the temperature of

their MH housing? How hot did it get for air-con rooms and

non a/c? My fingers tell me its less than boiling 100'C

around 80'C. Can anyone chip in?

will be having a nephews orgy this weekend. Thanks.

i dunno exactly how hot it is. but i did accidentally spilled a few drops of water on my 150W MH casing (while the MH was on) once, the water fizzled into steam in a matter of 5 secs. better hv ur nephews not too near the tank. accident happens......

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
The heat of the MH is @ 300-400 deg....... :o

Hi all,

Are you sure its that hot?

I read melting point for aluminium is 660'C.

I just touched mine and I am certain my kettle is hotter.

We should piggyback on all these free energy source.

giantbicycle? which model? :)

• SRC Member

400w MH is the one that is around 360 degrees... u put a wet tissue paper on the housing and when it's dry in 1 min, u see it's colour is like yellow almost brown/black.. :heh:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member
I add a 4" PC fan (housed inside the casing) to blow across my 150W MH whenever it's turned on. The casing is just slighty warm (perhaps ~ 40C). Can put my hand on the casing for long long time without getting it BBQ :P

Erm... you're not suppose to blow the fan directly across the bulb.

MH bulbs are suppose to burn at a certain temp for the correct spectrum. Artificially cooling the bulb will cause a spectrum shift B)

• SRC Member

Erm... you're not suppose to blow the fan directly across the bulb.

MH bulbs are suppose to burn at a certain temp for the correct spectrum. Artificially cooling the bulb will cause a spectrum shift B)

Thanks bro for your info. I am not blowing the fan directly across the bulb though. It's housed inside the light casing and blow air across the reflector where the MH bulb is enclosed .. should be fine right? :D

I remember I read an article somewhere (reefkeeping or something) on MH bulb and the article said that as MH buld is operating at very high temp. (in the region of a few hundreds deg. C), blowing a fan even directly on it will not affect the temp. much and hence there shouldn't be worry about spectrum shift.

Anyone to clarify?