shrimps and crabs

• SRC Member
Bluebeard, I was at Sealife on Sunday and bought 3 small orange hermit crab, there is still about 10 left, did you see those when you purchase your big hermit crab?

hi clowntrigger, i did see them when i was there to buy the big hermit crab. actually i also very tempted to go buy 3 of them on friday! those small hermit crab got pointy legs, i prefer those with more fatter and rounded legs which can be found at MarineLife. but those at MarineLife cost 3 for $20, quite expensive leh. but MarineLife got 3 types of small hermit crabs.

those at Marinelife is nicer but expensive and very very small size.

you went on sunday, which is before i went, the big hermit crab very nice right? i bought the orange one with white dots.

i also looking for nice shells for them to change, so far only found them at NTUC Pasir Ris. don't know where have leh.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

I have bought those hermit at Marinelife, but 2 of them died :( But I think the one at Sealife is very active in eating the algae. Very often I can see them trying to climb up the glass wall to scrap the brown algae to eat. Maybe because these hermit are found in our nearby region, not so fussy, those at Marinelife, from Hawaii, very fussy. I almost bought the big one, it has white spot on its orange leg, very cool, but find it too big for my tank. If you want nice shell, goto Jurong point, there is a shop that sell very nice shells indivually or you could goto Ikea, there is a shop also sells a pack of shell, inside it, you shold be able to find some nice one. I will be going to sealife tonight, will see if they have any more left.

• SRC Member
I have bought those hermit at Marinelife, but 2 of them died :( But I think the one at Sealife is very active in eating the algae. Very often I can see them trying to climb up the glass wall to scrap the brown algae to eat. Maybe because these hermit are found in our nearby region, not so fussy, those at Marinelife, from Hawaii, very fussy. I almost bought the big one, it has white spot on its orange leg, very cool, but find it too big for my tank. If you want nice shell, goto Jurong point, there is a shop that sell very nice shells indivually or you could goto Ikea, there is a shop also sells a pack of shell, inside it, you shold be able to find some nice one. I will be going to sealife tonight, will see if they have any more left.

what kind of hermit crab you got from Marinelife? those orange/black leg one? i don't know they are from hawaii!

i got 2 similar hermit crab but they are blue/black leg, $3 each, that's the big reason why i cannot part my money for those hermit crab at Marinelife, what a big price difference, they look similar to be except the colour band. one more reason why i don't not buy from Marinelife is because it's so cold there! scare whatever i buy there cannot survive in my tank.

hehehhe.. actually when i see them climbing, i think they are trying to get above water (most crabs like to go above water once in a while), not because they are trying to eat algae.

hahaa.. ya, it's that big orange hermit crab, at first i also find it too big but i find that the body kind of looks like lobsters and so i buy it! and also seldom see this kind of hermit crab.

thanks thanks, i will go find the shells for my hermit crabs.

what you looking for at Sealife? the big or the small hermit crab? i was told by the owner that they got new stock of fishes tonight.

• SRC Member

Fishes always come in on Thursday night, just in case the rest is not aware. Yesterday they have corals coming in as well, was told by Sam to go down today to have a look.

Those that I bought at Marinelife has red legs, very nice, but too bad only 1 survive. My hermit crabs is really tearing the algae as most of the brown algae grown just above the sand level. Well maybe you are right, they are trying to get out of the water at times

• SRC Member

ya lor i also want pom pom crab! whatever it is! hhahaha.. since it's safe in your reef tank, my tank should be ok la.

anyone seen hermit crabs anywhere lately? i want to buy more! the one i just got is big but very safe, don't disturb the others.

Pom pom crabs are little crabs with orange markings on the back. They have little anemones they hold on their claws, possibly Bundeopsis spp. Reef-safe. I saw one in Reborn a long long time ago.

If you talking about decorator crabs, they are not reef-safe... they are actually very ugly looking crabs who decorate themselves to camouflage.

And what they decorate themselves with is parts of your reef inclusive anemones, sponges, coral polyps, algae, sand etc.

They are best kept in a species tank though.

I saw them only once in a very long time.... ;)

HI HQ & BB...

I got my cute pom-pom crab at Hong Leong....hardly see them now adays...

Its a really small bugger...and hides most of the time....I have a rather rare strawberry crab too...lay-man naming.

As for the anemone hermit crab....it had 2 anemones on its shell and they gave a pinkish tint under blue lights. Hmmm....but I had since threw him into my other tank...quite sometime back and have not seen him for quite a while.

Hermit crabs...small ones better...big liao...lottas trouble. :)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hehehe.. no new kind of shrimps spotted lately.

my ###### shrimp just went MIA, don't know what happened. it's been in my tank for quite some time and i didn't add anything new lately.

bawater just gave me some nice blue leg hermit crabs lately! one big and one small! if buy from LFS would cost $3 to $8!!!

harlequin shrimps looks so nice! didn't occur to me that they are fierce until i heard how they eat starfish!

i just spotted a small nice choco chip starfish at hong leong today, didn't buy as i'm going elsewhere.

maybe go buy tomorrow or friday! hope it's still there!

• SRC Member

AT nope theyre not decorators. They are delicate little crabs the run around all the time with two mini anemones on their claws. I dislike decorators. Had one that chopped a nudibranch in half and carried the half around. UGH

Bluecarpet: You are so lucky <_<

BB: I saw reborn had some red choco chips. they look nicer than the browns.

• SRC Member
I am beginning to hate my hermits... one of them disabled my lionfish two days ago by snipping off his tail and today I came back to a half-eaten lionfish.

:angry::angry::angry:

AT, Wow you got some monster living in a shell man~! Perhaps when you are away, a dragon pops out of the shell and mutilate ya lionfish.... condolence.... hard to imagine such a clumsy fellow can actually catch and destroy such a large agile fish....

Hong.. How much and where you got the pom pom?? Sounds interesting to get man....

I'm also very tempted to get a harlequin pair... but i dun like to see them fight to death... harlequin shrimp can live by itself?

• SRC Member

see BB i told u they were blue legged hermits.

saw the feller walk straight pass me when i was catchin those tiny mangrove shrimps for my SH.Was Lucky to spot it.

i have a personal ban on any hermits bigger than 1cm in my house-. :P

reef janitors??more like reef menace to me!!. Even managed to create trouble in FO Tanks-they will rip at anything they can get their claws on-edible or not.

coelacanth -and what u feed the jellyfish? live rotifiers?BBS?

reborn has a big(maybe 1.5"-2")harlequin.$50 :blink: . also a single blue strained pregnant CBS(only one) $25 :blink: (filled with blue eggs)

• SRC Member
AT nope theyre not decorators. They are delicate little crabs the run around all the time with two mini anemones on their claws. I dislike decorators. Had one that chopped a nudibranch in half and carried the half around. UGH

Bluecarpet: You are so lucky <_<

BB: I saw reborn had some red choco chips. they look nicer than the browns.

Red Choco chips?!?! i didn't see them today leh.. but don't think red choco chip will be nice.. maybe should call them strawberry chip starfish! hahahaa

you got see the lobster? very nice leh but $10 each.. and it's a lobster.. i got 1 in my tank already, so dare not buy.... maybe will go again tomorrow and buy it! hahahaha

• SRC Member
see BB i told u they were blue legged hermits.

saw the feller walk straight pass me when i was catchin those tiny mangrove shrimps for my SH.Was Lucky to spot it.

i have a personal ban on any hermits bigger than 1cm in my house-. :P

reef janitors??more like reef menace to me!!. Even managed to create trouble in FO Tanks-they will rip at anything they can get their claws on-edible or not.

coelacanth -and what u feed the jellyfish? live rotifiers?BBS?

reborn has a big(maybe 1.5"-2")harlequin.$50 :blink: . also a single blue strained pregnant CBS(only one) $25 :blink: (filled with blue eggs)

hahha.. ya lor.. but they are different from the blue legged hermit crabs i keep.... those i keep got more rounded legs.. anyway thanks man!

maybe i will go catch some myself too! kekeke

i also went that big harlequin today but didn't know it's $50!!! it's the nicest and biggest harlequin i seen alive so far!!!

you got see the nice lobsters? very nice hor.. i wanted to buy but i already spent $28 and bought all the 3 small lionfish!!!! all 3 different!!!!

ya i feed jellyfish wif bbs, but so tired oreadi. everyday change water, some more little change in water quality jellyfish like want to die like dat. cannot keep in large tank also, get suck into filter, must use undergravel. really trouble man. better not keep.

if u really free then can try. :(

• SRC Member

Red Choco chips?!?! i didn't see them today leh.. but don't think red choco chip will be nice.. maybe should call them strawberry chip starfish! hahahaa

you got see the lobster? very nice leh but $10 each.. and it's a lobster.. i got 1 in my tank already, so dare not buy.... maybe will go again tomorrow and buy it! hahahaha

It is blood red with white (or was it brown) and there was a tankful at the back. Nope I didn't see the lobbies.

• SRC Member
i also went that big harlequin today but didn't know it's $50!!! it's the nicest and biggest harlequin i seen alive so far!!!

BB, Kwang jus recently brought in Harlequins... There's 2 that pretty large..

should be retailing at $14....

Think $50 for a shrimp is too Ex...

• SRC Member

BB, Kwang jus recently brought in Harlequins... There's 2 that pretty large..

should be retailing at $14....

Think $50 for a shrimp is too Ex...

hey thanks phang,

i don't think i will be buying harlequin as i cannot tahan to feed them with those nice starfish, and also i'm keeping starfish.. thanks!

that means kwang got new stock! maybe will go take a look tomorrow! thanks thanks!

right now in the process of setting up my 2.5feet marine tank.

• SRC Member
hi guys,

went to paya lebar today, cannot find Kwang's LFS leh.... end up taking a bus to Reborn. can anyone direct how to walk from MRT station? TIA! :P

hihi,

it's actually quite far to walk from paya lebar mrt (although i usually walk la.. eheheh.. i used to live around there mah)

here's the map,

Map To Kwang's

the nearest bus stop is to right of Kwang's on the map, bus 33. near the CarPark.

• SRC Member

'new' shrimps found at Sealife!!!

actually the shrimps looks like camel shrimps but the pattern on it is different and they come in blue or brown!

very nice!!! $6 each!

i dare not buy because camel shrimps usually got kill by my 2 boxers in my tank.

they are kept at top tank, so look carefully!

and for those looking for fire/cleaner shrimps, Reborn got lots of stock!