Clam's Growth

There are other factors such as calcium levels to consider. Without consistently high calcium levels, your clams may not grow at all. Clams are notorious for consuming a lot of calcium to build their shells as they grow.

Small clams <2 inches should be fed with phytoplankton. Bigger ones just rely on intense lighting as their zooxanthellae can give them all the energy they need to survive.

• SRC Member

It will be funnier to lift a >12" squam into a salad bowl and eat it.

Our tanks have more than enough nitrate for the clams. There is no need to intentionally enrich our tank water with nitrates.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Tks alot AT & d3vil.

i was told by a friend that target feeding is the best. u mean u take out the clam from the tank every now & then and feed in a bowl ?

I read from somewhere that it's recommended to have a certain level of nitrate for clam growth as well.

ah, that's me.

I do target feeding for my corals as well.

It ensure that the "target" get the food.

rather than just pour into the tank, which

could be suck by the filter or protein skimmer.

you know u can go to those LFS, they sometimes

have a needle syringes(w/o needle), suck in the

planktons, n aim near corals.

no need to take out clams lah. but I off my filter

n skimmer when I do feeding. after 10-20mins

then onz back again.

• SRC Member

Among those that I've seen, I think the Punggol squam next to the plasma TV is the biggest so far.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Clowntrigger, you should show a before and after pix... :P

Ok, this may not be a good representation of it, but if you look at the edge, you can see that there isn't any white scale growing as compare to the previous pictures, refer to the red circles. The pictures are taken on 16 june 2003.

post-6-1061972282.jpg

• SRC Member

The 10 mm is at the top, on the side is less than 10mm. When you buy any clam, you will seldom see new growth on it, so I am very sure that these are new growth also I have been monitoring very often on it. Usually new growth is very brittle, it will break during shipping and handling, that is why you seldom see it.

• SRC Member
Among those that I've seen, I think the Punggol squam next to the plasma TV is the biggest so far.

Geez .... must go find out who stay in punggol and measure their clam size soon.. <_<

Ok, this may not be a good representation of it, but if you look at the edge, you can see that there isn't any white scale growing as compare to the previous pictures, refer to the red circles. The pictures are taken on 16 june 2003.

:off::off::off::off::off: The clam quite nice leh

Hi Guys,

Am interested in keeping clams. Do I need a chiller for keeping them? And do I have to get MH lights? Thanks

What clam are you intend to keep????? BTW it is best if clam are kept under metal halide

maxima and crocea, they come in different pattern and are very beautiful in colour but they require strong lighting such as metal halide.... BTW ultras need even stronger lighting such as metal halide with 250w and above

derasa and squamosa- these clam require lesser light and saw people keep them under 55 watt of Pl light....

A chiller is not really needed unless due to the metal halide you use, your water temp get way out of hand >28 degree celcius