Water smell

• SRC Member

use activated carbon to rid the smell. A good skimmer should be able to skim out those DOC gunk. Increase water change frequency. hope this helps..

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

Dear all,

I went to a LFS shop in Clementi and they do not change water at all. They told me no need to. Just top up the seawater.

He said that if we change water, the fish is not used to the new water and may perish.

Is this true ? Can we keep adding more sea water into the tank without any change ???

ya, only the water evaporates and not the salt

regular water change is necessary

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

The tank shop that I bought my tank from also tell me that no need to change water! He said only the water evaporates and not the salt, so just need to top up with tap water! However, I always hear peoplw say must change water, blur already! Please shed some light. Thankx.

:blink:

• SRC Member
Dear all,

I went to a LFS shop in Clementi and they do not change water at all. They told me no need to. Just top up the seawater.

He said that if we change water, the fish is not used to the new water and may perish.

Is this true ? Can we keep adding more sea water into the tank without any change ???

Is the LFS call Polyart? :lol:

You definitely can't top-up with salt water. As mentioned earlier, only the water evaporates and the salt will remain in the tank. If you top-up with seawater, your fish will indeed perish very soon... :o

• SRC Member
The tank shop that I bought my tank from also tell me that no need to change water! He said only the water evaporates and not the salt, so just need to top up with tap water! However, I always hear peoplw say must change water, blur already! Please shed some light. Thankx.

:blink:

There are different school of thoughts and there are indeed there are some who don't advocate changing of water. However, I'm pretty sure that at least 90% of us change water. Some change once a week, some once every 2 months depending on individual preference and their systems' needs. There are lots of advantages with regards to changing of water.. I shall name some that I can think of now, and maybe some of u can help me add on :lol:

1. Lowering nitrates

2. Diluting pollutants

3. Replenish trace elements

4. Can siphon out detritus at the same time...

Anymore?

• SRC Member
Dear all,

duhz..clementi always give wrong info.. bth...

Simple logic regarding water change.

If you burp, fart, shit & haven't taken a bath for a few months in an enclosed room with a dead decomposing body next to you, how do you rate the quality of your life? ;)

I am not even going to ask about how much CO2 will build and how soon the oxygen will be depleted. :lol:

Unless you get an industrial-grade air ozonizer, air-filteration unit, a ton of air fresheners and have access to a toilet to flush away your waste out of the room etc, I guess you'll be pretty miserable.

I'm sure your livestock will want you to invest in very good equipment and have good husbandry skills to maintain/replenish the water parameters. Either that, or be consistent with the water changes. ;)

• SRC Member

Some 1 must really go down to these shops n burn them down, telling new reefers the wrong information :erm:

SBS_Transit

Is the LFS call Polyart? :lol:

You definitely can't top-up with salt water. As mentioned earlier, only the water evaporates and the salt will remain in the tank. If you top-up with seawater, your fish will indeed perish very soon... :o

Aiyoh, look at their display tank and you have the answer liao mah.

If those people after looking at their display and still think that it looks nice then they can follow their advice loh. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
What then is the reccomded frequency for water change and how much?

If u don't find once a week too often and troublesome, u can do it. Else, buy some testkits to assist in your decision. For me, I do nitrate, calcium and KH testkits weekly and dose additives/change water accordingly. It is recommended to change 5-20% of your tank water each time.

BTW, there are lots of information in SRC, use the search button and do some reading up

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm