New 2ft Tank...

• SRC Member

helloz... new to tis forum.... 1st post... *excited* *excited*

ok... wanna ask ahz.... i got a 2ft tank.... read thru forum.... i noe 2ft is not a good size for a newbie like me.... but me intend keep few clown fishes and hopefully anemone... can do or not ahz???

2ft tank.... can keep anemone in first place???

my tank now got the top filter thingie.... besides sand, salt, powerhead... wad else i need???

:thanks:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

I don't really think a top filter is advisable for marine tanks....

And anemones require high light intensity i heard... Or they'll die.

You'll need some chemical filtration. like phosguard or something.

Just my opinion

:)

Welcome to SRC! ;)

You can keep anemones provided you provide strong lighting for them. For a two feet tank... I would recommend 4 x T5 lights. Should be strong enough. Maybe T5 users can comment on wattage and brands.

I hope you will read about the nitrogen cycle and start & finish off your cycling properly before stocking.

You will need test kits to start off.

Maybe the 2ft tank people can recommend what u need specifically.

Wilkommen muar_chee,

I recommend you add a sump to the 2 ft tank, can give you a little bit of stability. Besides sand, salt, powerhead, you'll definitely need live rocks, skimmer, lighting and many other add ons. I would buy an anemone only after at least 3 months after I bought the nemo (and still alive!). Good luck

I would recommend 4 x T5 lights. Should be strong enough. Maybe T5 users can comment on wattage and brands.

Wah AT even 2 ft also need so much lighting ah. i using zoomed 50/50 n actinic onli n my green bubble tip anymone is still .....living quite well. or is it slowly dying due to its very slow metabolism :look:

wah 4 T5........i onli have 2 T8... :cry2:

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself

Wah AT even 2 ft also need so much lighting ah. i using zoomed 50/50 n actinic onli n my green bubble tip anymone is still .....living quite well. or is it slowly dying due to its very slow metabolism :look:

wah 4 T5........i onli have 2 T8... :cry2:

Your anemone will waste away soon.......... suggest you upgrade your lighting now

helloz... new to tis forum.... 1st post... *excited* *excited*

ok... wanna ask ahz.... i got a 2ft tank.... read thru forum.... i noe 2ft is not a good size for a newbie like me.... but me intend keep few clown fishes and hopefully anemone... can do or not ahz???

2ft tank.... can keep anemone in first place???

my tank now got the top filter thingie.... besides sand, salt, powerhead... wad else i need???

:thanks:

yes 2 feet is not a good start for marine and definately not with a top filter..... top filter are utterly useless for marine, suggest you going for hang on back filter such as eheim liberty 200................

And pls note that anemone require lots of light and is not a good start for newbie because they waste away easily, require regular feeding and often move about thus make them very easy target for power head :sick: :sick: :sick: ......... And when an anemone die, you would not want to know........ cos if you do experience that, you will feel like quiting this hobby immediately............

BTW pls note that, clown fish do not require anemone to survive

Your anemone will waste away soon.......... suggest you upgrade your lighting now

althought my total watt is 30 for my 15 gallon but dont forget we have reflectors 2. so how many watt per gallon is needed for my precious green bulb

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself

• SRC Member

okiio.... juz 'sanded' my tank.... and also salted it.... bought those kinda floating hydro-meter thingies.... accurate or not??? so can i add in my LR tomorrow already??? or sunday better???

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
okiio.... juz 'sanded' my tank.... and also salted it.... bought those kinda floating hydro-meter thingies.... accurate or not??? so can i add in my LR tomorrow already??? or sunday better???

Salinity should range at 1.020 -1025 using floating hydrometer. Remember to check PH level as well, which range at 8.0-8.3

LR require curing which take 3 -5 wks. Can read more on below link.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...&articleid=2833

Happy reefing! :D

Anemone Requires intense lighting.

Anyone notice how 90% of the new ppl who come to this forum want/already have anemones and clownfish.

not me...I just to keep my damsels alive. Anemone great to look at, but i think not easy for a newbie like me to keep them.

yes 2 feet is not a good start for marine and definately not with a top filter..... top filter are utterly useless for marine, suggest you going for hang on back filter such as eheim liberty 200................

And pls note that anemone require lots of light and is not a good start for newbie because they waste away easily, require regular feeding and often move about thus make them very easy target for power head :sick: :sick: :sick: ......... And when an anemone die, you would not want to know........ cos if you do experience that, you will feel like quiting this hobby immediately............

BTW pls note that, clown fish do not require anemone to survive

Sorry, but why is an overhead filter not recommended? Something wrong with suction?

I have been using an overhead for sometime now. But it's not a powerhead, rather it's one of those pumps that are mounted on the overhead filter assembly with a tube that sticks in the water. Is it harmful to the tank in anyway?

not me...I just to keep my damsels alive. Anemone great to look at, but i think not easy for a newbie like me to keep them.

Thank goodness the movie did not potray Nemo hiding and sleeping in Acropora.

Just imagine... :unsure::blink:<_<

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Sorry, but why is an overhead filter not recommended? Something wrong with suction?

I have been using an overhead for sometime now. But it's not a powerhead, rather it's one of those pumps that are mounted on the overhead filter assembly with a tube that sticks in the water. Is it harmful to the tank in anyway?

i used to have a OHF during my cycling period.. but chg to liberty 200(hang on type) anyway when i was using my OHF the water is also crystal clear too... but i dun know the difference.. becoz i need the top space (ocuppied by OHF)for more lighting... :P