Metal Halides Kelvin

junyong84

• SRC Member

Hey guys,

I would be getting my MH soon.

Just want to know, which Kelvin of MH shld i get so as to get the true colour/or close to the true colour of corals, without compromising on growth and survival.

Thanks!

By the way, i would be getting 2 X 250 W MH without 2 actinic

• SRC Member

any prefer brand ??

if i choose to use 6500k how many 39w blue light i have to balance out the yellowish ??

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

wat u mean by true colours?

true meaning same as wen u see them in the ocean?

if so then 6.5k is for u

but if u like the blueish of the ocean...20kk is for u

if u wan a mix of growth and natural colours...14kk is for u

frankly...since u not using actinic...some colours brought on by blue will not be shown vividly if u use 6.5k or 14k

so if u ask me...i'd recommend u 20kk

• SRC Member
wat u mean by true colours?

true meaning same as wen u see them in the ocean?

if so then 6.5k is for u

but if u like the blueish of the ocean...20kk is for u

if u wan a mix of growth and natural colours...14kk is for u

frankly...since u not using actinic...some colours brought on by blue will not be shown vividly if u use 6.5k or 14k

so if u ask me...i'd recommend u 20kk

would 20k be too blue? means to be tat 14k is quite a balance, but i m not so sure.

anyways, is 250W abit too high for a nomal 2ft deep tank? Will it cook the SPS and clams?

• SRC Member

u wanna see diff between 10k and 20 k ah

u go ocean planet...get uncle to on his display tank lights...u will see a diff.

sps and clams LOVE 250W!!!

it'll be too high for only for softies

btw...i'm also using 2x250 for some softies and lps...they're very happy

The choice of the colour of the bulb should not be confused with visual aesthetics but should be tied in with the characteristics of the bulb in terms of the PAR, wattage and colour spectrum.

But simply, the lower k bulbs have higher PAR than the higher k bulbs, are usually much cheaper but at the expense of being yellow and hence uglier to the human eye... but corals & clams love them more in terms as they are pretty similar to the Sun's rays that reach them after penetrating a few feet of water, which changes light properties.

The higher k bulbs are visually more pleasant but are usually dimmer and therefore necessitate going up in terms of wattage to give enough PAR.

I used a mixture of 4 x 400w of 6500k and 20k... and they pack both punch and looks... my SPS corals retain very strong colours and growth under them. ;)

• SRC Member
The choice of the colour of the bulb should not be confused with visual aesthetics but should be tied in with the characteristics of the bulb in terms of the PAR, wattage and colour spectrum.

But simply, the lower k bulbs have higher PAR than the higher k bulbs, are usually much cheaper but at the expense of being yellow and hence uglier to the human eye... but corals & clams love them more in terms as they are pretty similar to the Sun's rays that reach them after penetrating a few feet of water, which changes light properties.

The higher k bulbs are visually more pleasant but are usually dimmer and therefore necessitate going up in terms of wattage to give enough PAR.

I used a mixture of 4 x 400w of 6500k and 20k... and they pack both punch and looks... my SPS corals retain very strong colours and growth under them. ;)

4x400W!!!!!!!!

elec bill shooo up the sky man!

how big is yr tank?