never never use yr phone while driving..

hamannbmw

• SRC Member

Handphone Driving...

When can you be caught for 'handphone driving'?

The New Paper - 14 Dec 2004

(see http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfriendly...,79344,00.html)

IT won't make any difference whether you are speaking into an earpiece.

If you are caught holding a phone while driving, you are guilty of the offence of handphone driving.

A mobile phone includes any hand-held equipment capable of being used for telecommunication, such as walkie-talkie sets.

And it doesn't matter just how the driver is holding the handphone.

Or whether he's using a hands-free kit.

The following scenarios, therefore, are to be avoided:-

- paging

- writing, sending and reading SMS or MMS

- making a call by pressing the keypad with one hand (regardless of whether that hand is touching the steering wheel)

- receiving a call

DSP Chua Chee Wai noted that many people have a misconception that the last scenario is permissible.

'Very often, people will tell our officers that they didn't do anything, they were just receiving a call,' he said.

A first-timer convicted of handphone driving could receive 12 demerit points and a fine of up to $1,000, or a maximum jail term of six months, or both.

Repeat offenders face double the fine amount and jail term.

Drivers may also be disqualified from driving and have their phone forfeited by the court upon conviction.

What Constitutes Handphone Driving?

(See http://www.spf.gov.sg/about_spf/tp/faq_hpdriving.htm)

Handphone Driving

An offence under Sec 65B of the Road Traffic Act is made out as long as there is evidence to show that the motorist is holding onto the handphone with one hand, while using it to communicate. This is regardless of the position in which he is holding onto the handphone and the fact that a hands-free kit was also used is irrelevant. Handphone driving is an inconsiderate and dangerous act that poses a threat to other road-users. The act distracts drivers and reduces their ability to control their vehicles and to react to changes in road situations. This puts other road users at rise. Because of the seriousness of the offence, Traffic Police will continue to step up our enforcement on handphone driving. We advise motorist who wish to use their handphones to have their passenger make or receive the call. If travelling alone, motorists should drive to a carpark before making the call.

Penalty

A first-timer convicted of phone and drive offences shall be liable to 12 demerit points and a maximum fine of up to $1,000/- or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or both. He/She may also be disqualified from driving. The offender's handphone and SIM card will be seized to facilitate investigation. These may be forfeited by the court upon conviction.

What Constitutes Handphone Driving

i) the driver of a motor vehicle that is on a road or public place "uses" a mobile phone while the vehicle is in motion.

ii) using one hand to hold on to the mobile phone and the other hand holding the steering wheel.

iii) communicate whilst driving.

Examples:

Scenario A (Paging for someone)

Pae for someone, with or without earpiece, using one hand to hold on to the mobile phone and the other hand holding the steering wheel.

Scenario B (SMS/MMS message)

Writing, Sending and Reading SMS/MMS messages from someone, with or without earpiece, using one hand to hold on to the mobile phone and the other hand holding the steering wheel.

Scenario C (Making a Call)

Making a call, with or without earpiece, by pressing the keypads and holding handphone in one hand with the other hand holding the steering wheel.

Scenario D (Receving a Call)

Receiving a call, with or without earpiece, by pressing the keypads and holding handphone in one hand with the other hand holding the steering wheel.

<_<

• SRC Member

i think the issue here is "holding the phone"

If I'm not wrong,communicating via an earpiece without holding onto the phone is still permissible.

any TPs ard wanna clarify this? :lol:

otherwise,this rule is gonna put the earpiece market out of business!

note that all the rules are against holding on to the phone and another hand on the steering wheel...wonder wat the TP will say if you are holding the phone with both hands and no hand is on the steering wheel?

:evil:

• SRC Member
i think the issue here is "holding the phone"

If I'm not wrong,communicating via an earpiece without holding onto the phone is still permissible.

any TPs ard wanna clarify this? :lol:

otherwise,this rule is gonna put the earpiece market out of business!

note that all the rules are against holding on to the phone and another hand on the steering wheel...wonder wat the TP will say if you are holding the phone with both hands and no hand is on the steering wheel?

yup.. u r right.. as long as your hand is holding the handphone.. you are committing an offence. Earpiece is supposed to use in a way such that you make/receive a call before u move off or u stop at the side of the road to make/receive a call. I think most of us don't do that... :lol:

Frankly speaking, they should also put nose-digging, face-scratching, adjusting of clothes, fiddling with the radio, talking to your passengers, turning on any knobs on the dashboard, eating and drinking while driving as offenses that are

inconsiderate and dangerous act that poses a threat to other road-users. The act distracts drivers and reduces their ability to control their vehicles and to react to changes in road situations. 
:angel:

• SRC Member

from what i presume.... i think even if you're talking into a earpiece, if a TP goes past u, he'll still stop u and summon you.. :eyeblur:

why u may ask?

so he'll go on to reply.. "Well, you had to take 1 hand off the steering wheel and press the 'Ans Call' button on your handphone right? Wait for letter in 2 weeks"

unfortunately, the SPF i feel is out to generate more revenue then controling the damn law which already dosen't make much sense most of the time!

now already all the fellas hiding here and there spying on speeding cars.. i saw 1 along pioneer road north at 8am in the morning! every1 rushing to work and the limit on that road is 50 i assume coz i've never seen a sign there before..

also on mandai road at 3pm.. where the road is practically deserted, they'll be shooting at unexpecting cars.. :angry:

now i think motorists' eyes would not be on the road but on the pavements and overhead bridges.. untimately leading to more addidents! :nuke:

sorry i had to rant a little :P:D

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

tsk tsk tsk. wat has our society become......

confiscating of hp is such a stupid penalty... like we cant buy another one?

yes you can always buy another one, but you can never buy back the information that was contained inside.

information like the number to the hot girl you just got at the club last night, or the boss you are suppose to call if not you will die a horrible death. you know, those sort of numbers. (=

• SRC Member
Frankly speaking, they should also put nose-digging, face-scratching, adjusting of clothes, fiddling with the radio, talking to your passengers, turning on any knobs on the dashboard, eating and drinking while driving as offenses that are

AT,

i think this rule applies to all that you have mentioned.

The main thing here is dat you have to keep both hands on the steering wheel unless when you need to change gears.

You can't do the stuff like nose-digging, face-scratching, adjusting of clothes, fiddling with the radio, talking to your passengers, turning on any knobs on the dashboard, eating and drinking, and for ladies,make up, apply lipstick etc even when your car is stationary at a traffic junction.

stupid rule.

from what i presume.... i think even if you're talking into a earpiece, if a TP goes past u, he'll still stop u and summon you.. 

why u may ask?

so he'll go on to reply.. "Well, you had to take 1 hand off the steering wheel and press the 'Ans Call' button on your handphone right? Wait for letter in 2 weeks"

If i kena this shit from the TP, i'll just ask him if he has heard of the technology of auto answer in mobile phones. and does he knows that the line will cut off by itself after the caller hangs up!

• SRC Member

I was just about to ask the same thing......so if use auto answer ....how ah....still talking .....but no hands on the phone...right...??/??.....or if the phone rings & U just press the answer button on Ur earpiece......just once...still cannot..??? isnt it the same as switching station on Ur radio....????

*one thing about the law...none of us know all of it.....only some....until U get pinalised for it....too late...the more U argue...the more trouble U get.....*

• SRC Member

ask the TP - can see chio bu while driving or not? :lol:

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

Whooo, I drive my car with only one hand either left hand or righ. Will TP book me because I don't put my 2 hands on the wheel ?

Well, than how about motorcyclist who ride with one hand and cig at another hand ? Isn't more dangerous ?

What wrong with driving one hand while another hand busy?

Making phone call is same as talking to ppl in the car ( unless ? )

Holding the phone in one hand is same as holding the girl's leg who sit in front passenger seat.

Will TP considers talking on speaker phone as offend ? than TP should come out with the rule that all the driver must

PUT ON THE MASK ON THE MOUTH , so they can't talk while driving.

TIE 2 HANDS TOGETHER , so the driver will put both hands on wheel at any given time.

I would say, smoking while driving is more dangerous because smoke can go into your eyes and you might be blind for flit of second.....

hmmm may be time to get driver................

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump