My money pit (in progress)

Bandit

• SRC Member

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would share with you my current project. The tank will be a mixed coral tank, but with a predominant SPS flavour :evil: The main objective I am trying to reach is not to have one single piece of equipment in the main display tank.

6' x 2.5' x 2.5' for just over 1000 litres, with 2 x 4' x 14" x 18" sumps

Equipment setup:

• Tank is 12mm Starfire front and sides, 12mm smoked black rear glass and standard 15mm float glass on base
  • Lighting : 4x 400W XM or Coralvue lamps
  • Skimmer : AquaC EV-1000
  • Calcium reactor : Korallin C4001 with Tunze 7077/4 regulator
  • Return Pumps: 2 x Sequence Dart (15000lph each)
  • Sump: 4' x 14" x 18" all glass, drilled so skimmer and return pumps will run external
  • Refugium : 4' x 14" x 18" all glass, with area for macro algae grow out and area for frag grow out
  • Refugium lighting : 2 x 175w MH
  • Crushed marble substrate in main display to depth of 4"
  • Remote Sand bed in both Refugium and Sump
  • Water top off : Tunze Osmolator 3155 and Tunze Calcium Dispenser 5074
Circulation:
  • Display :2 x Oceans Motions heavy duty 4 ways. 1 running from Closed loop on Sequence Hammerhead (22000lph). The other running from return pumps. These will both be split to 8 outlets. The return pump system will have 8 Oceans Motions revolutions to provide truly random flow. The Closed loop will return via two holes in the back glass, and 6 in the tank bottom. Outlet direction will be dictated using 3/4" Locline fittings
  • Fuge / Frag growout : 4 x Maxijet 1000 and 2 x Maxijet 606

Tank stock list:

• 6-8 x female Pseudanthias squamipinnis
  • 3-4 x Zebrasoma flavescens
  • 1 x Centropyge argi
  • 1 x Gramma melacara
  • 2 x Yellow barred Premnas biaculeatus
  • 1 x Cirrhilabrus scottorum

Here is a rendered version of the tank. Notice the external overflow... I got a notch cut into the back glass so that the overflow does not take up any room in the display tank. ;)

tank3.jpg

I have built the stand myself, and am currently completing the display tank plumbing. I have estimated I will have roughly 35x tank volume in circulation, without a single pump in the tank!

If anyone has any questions I am more than happy to answer. If people have any suggestions that would be great!

I will post some pictures once I have the display tank plumbing completed. :angel:

• SRC Member

Did you struck TOTO last Monday? From the look of it seems like the whole setup would cost around $10k? That's is excluding the monthly electrical bills.

What are you intending to do with 2 4' tank (Refugium @ Sump)? Small docile fish. :eyebrow::eyebrow:

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

I guess I should qualify a couple of things.

My wife and I used to run an online aquarium store (http://www.reefonline.com.au)... we sold the business a few months ago, but I made sure I put a lot of equipment aside prior to the sale!

The reason for the 175W in the 'fuge is to provide enough light for it to act as a Frag growout area as well. My thinking is that if the frags have plenty of small food to feed on from the fuge, they should stablise a lot quicker.

I have gone with two larger sumps so I can run remote sand beds... but having the equipment split from the refugium means that no weed/sand etc goes through the skimmer pump, calcium reactor etc, which means (hopefully) that will not require cleaning as often.

I forgot to list what inverts I want to have... so here goes:

2 x Lysmata debelius... this things are very expensive over here!

2 x Lysmata amboiensis

2 x Neopetrolisthes Sp. Porcelain Anenome Crab

Heteractis magnifica anemone

Purple Heteractis crispa anemone

Rose Entacmacea quadricolor anemone

lots of snails of different species (Trochus, Tectis, Turbo)

Urchins of different types (rock boring, collector etc)

4 x Holuthuria hilla cucumbers ... no risk of powerheads etc chewing them up!

and I think that is it...

• SRC Member
Did you struck TOTO last Monday? From the look of it seems like the whole setup would cost around $10k? That's is excluding the monthly electrical bills.

What are you intending to do with 2 4' tank (Refugium @ Sump)? Small docile fish. :eyebrow::eyebrow:

bro neokn..............

our friend here is frm australia.......

there oso got toto thingy one meh???????????? :D:D:D

anyway it is interesting to see a huge tank setup lor :rolleyes:

Hehe, I am also considering using MH for my fuge and growout

Gd luck on your new tank :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

:D Goodday mate!

Circulation:

Display :2 x Oceans Motions heavy duty 4 ways. 1 running from Closed loop on Sequence Hammerhead (22000lph). The other running from return pumps. These will both be split to 8 outlets. The return pump system will have 8 Oceans Motions revolutions to provide truly random flow. The Closed loop will return via two holes in the back glass, and 6 in the tank bottom. Outlet direction will be dictated using 3/4" Locline fittings

I'm looking forward to learn more on this Close Loop setup as its going to be my next newly features for my future setup... :P

Can't wait..... :D

bro neokn..............

our friend here is frm australia.......

there oso got toto thingy one meh???????????? :D:D:D

anyway it is interesting to see a huge tank setup lor :rolleyes:

:off: they do hv toto, but named differently; Gold Lotto, Powerball, etc. :)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
2 x Lysmata debelius... this things are very expensive over here!

With your experience, I'm sure your tank will turn out to be very impressive. I can't wait to see it. Please keep us posted on the progress. Would love to see more photos.

Just curious, how expensive would one specimen cost in A$?

Cheers.

• SRC Member
Just curious, how expensive would one specimen cost in A$?

These guys retail at about A$120 each... or roughly S$150

Red Line Cleaner shrimp are about $80 each or roughly S$100

• SRC Member
I'm looking forward to learn more on this Close Loop setup as its going to be my next newly features for my future setup... :P

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer!

• SRC Member
Circulation:

[*] Display :2 x Oceans Motions heavy duty 4 ways. 1 running from Closed loop on Sequence Hammerhead (22000lph). The other running from return pumps. These will both be split to 8 outlets. The return pump system will have 8 Oceans Motions revolutions to provide truly random flow. The Closed loop will return via two holes in the back glass, and 6 in the tank bottom. Outlet direction will be dictated using 3/4" Locline fittings

Hi,

Great to have you sharing your plans.

Mind if I ask what is the "Oceans Motions Revolutions"? Are they something like Ocean Currents Wavemaker? Will the return rate be affected by oceans motions revolutions since there might be some restriction induced by them?

• SRC Member

i'm very excited too. it'd be great if you could show us pics of each stage of your setup.. i like your idea of not putting any piece of equipment in the tank; makes your tank gives a clean and more natural look . but after reading the thread on the RC tank accident, i think you have to be a bit more careful when DIYing your stand and fixing the bulkheads. a crack or a leak at the bottom will drain the all the water from your tank.. :)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=531525

• SRC Member

:pinch::pinch::pinch:

Would you like to know how much do those Blood (aka Fire) Shrimps cost here?

Bandit,

Tell you what...I'll send you some blood and skunk cleaners, and you can send me some black ocellaris! ;):D

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member
i think you have to be a bit more careful when DIYing your stand and fixing the bulkheads.

I built my last stand for a 4' x 4' x 2.5' tank, and it was rock solid, I also fitted the bulkheads and everything myself. I am sure I will have everything covered, but will fully leak test the tank with fresh water prior to filling it up.