What's the darndest thing a LFS has ever told you?

salivateforme

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

hm...when u put it that way, most people will know which shop you refering to

i heard this from uncle

"cleaner shrimp if you buy to eat ich ah...will die cos the ich will spread in its stomach and kill it from the inside"

i'm not sure if this is true but i feel its false...can someone verify please?

sorry

i meant the uncle said cleaner wrasse will die after eating ich

is this true?

• SRC Member

i noe which LFS also.... coz when i wanted to start my own tank the boss also tell me dun make seawater by urself... and its veri difficult to setup a marine tank... he sae untill its impossible to setup a marine tank at home... then i wondering how come ppl can even keep sharks in their tank... and how they manage to setup the tank and even open such a shop with so many tanks.... and y do they even import fishes to sell when its impossible to setup marine fish tank....

guess the lfs owner must be stunt after u said that to him hehe beaten by his own mouth :P

• SRC Member
went to a lfs at balestier ;) ,the young guy wif spec say:'' dis fish is very stable,use for test water very gd.'' he referring to a yellow eye kole tang.

:sick::sick::sick:

I noe which shop.... ;)

Cause went on a balestier to lavender street spree and that's the only shop with one yellow eyed kole tang.... and the son of the boss wears specs.... :D:lol:

Gotta "pardon" him lah... he is still young in this trade and only starting to learn to take over from the father... u noe lah.... "intern" mode....

• SRC Member

:lol: heres sth to share..

Cant remember if it was last yr or 2, was at a LFS looking ard.. happen to see some arrival of LRs in opened styrofoam.. and a uncle ard age 50s behind the store loading.

(tis conversation is suppose to be in mandarin)

Me: uncle, tis LR frm where de? (then holding the LR in my hand and observe)

Uncle: This one good one.. veri good one..

Me: :blink: no, I mean itz frm where de? (country)

Uncle: I dive to get one lor..

Me: ……….huh?? u mean u dive in the water to collect?

Uncle: ya lar.. they are good LR.. I dive so deep in the sea to collect u know.. (and he try to act busy)

Me: (PENGz) wah! Dive in ah?

Uncle: of course lar.. good one lar.. can buy lar.. must buy..(acts busy again)

Me: ……….(put dwn my LR and walk outta the shop)

LAME!!

theres another incident which i finally blacklist tt shop!

• SRC Member

when i was a newbie... ask this shop how much is a chiller? orhhh chiller is 3 thousand....

same shop that said no need change water 1.....

and also u notice my fishes... all more than 3 years liaoz.. dun believe can ask my old customers... went back few months later not a single one there...

this is not LFS but a design shop.. also one that promise this and that but doesnt deliver.. :nuke: :nuke:

• SRC Member

guess the lfs owner must be stunt after u said that to him hehe beaten by his own mouth :P

haha.... ya lo... but i stil frequent that lfs la... quite near to my sch... but now when i just ask them anything they will tell me abt it instead of telling me stories....

• SRC Member
Lfs guy : basically if you don't have a chiller you can keep nuthin in your tank

me : ????

strange but true from lfs near mustaffa

bro...to a certain extent he is correct

it really depends on your equipment and how's the temperature like in your home

if temp in your tank goes above 30...either you get fan or chiller or else corals up lorry :lol:

of course if u're keeping just fishes then nothing wrong with no chiller :peace:

actually when he said that I had this vision of sitting in front of my tank looking at pristine clean and empty saltwater heheh

after he made that statement I asked him would that hold for a FOWLR he said yes??

then when I said that part of the reason for not using a chiller was the high energy consumption he said get a bigger ( ie hp ) chiller then you'll save on electricity, reason being it doesn't kick in so often

so I said ok... but the 15 min or so that it kicks in per hour at a higher energy draw you'll definitely get higher consumption and he went er...

right now I'm using a solar panel to drive a fan, and the tank is on reverse (?) lighting hours ie lights on at night/dark in the day, at night the air-cond is on

I'm trying to experiment with using gel cells and peltier thermocoolers :)

I'd started marine fishkeeping since the 70's though not always successful but I did manage to keep some of my fishes for > 3-5 years :)

• SRC Member
actually when he said that I had this vision of sitting in front of my tank looking at pristine clean and empty saltwater heheh

after he made that statement I asked him would that hold for a FOWLR he said yes??

then when I said that part of the reason for not using a chiller was the high energy consumption he said get a bigger ( ie hp ) chiller then you'll save on electricity, reason being it doesn't kick in so often

so I said ok... but the 15 min or so that it kicks in per hour at a higher energy draw you'll definitely get higher consumption and he went er...

right now I'm using a solar panel to drive a fan, and the tank is on reverse (?) lighting hours ie lights on at night/dark in the day, at night the air-cond is on

I'm trying to experiment with using gel cells and peltier thermocoolers :)

I'd started marine fishkeeping since the 70's though not always successful but I did manage to keep some of my fishes for > 3-5 years :)

Solar panels???? Wow, that's cool...can PM me how you do it or not?

Got it off ebay about a year ago - wanted to mount it on my mountain bike, don't ask why :)

I think its a 10W Shell brand solar panel and it came with fittings and a 4" fan it was suposed to be used to ventilate an outdoors power unit

I searched for the local supplier and I think they were located somewhere in AMK industrial park and found that it was marginally cheaper to buy it on ebay even with shipping the really heavy panel

It measures about 14" x 8" and I place it on my air-cond compressor where it gets the evening sun

But a really good plan would involve a 72W panel and 2 12V gel cells in parallel :)

• SRC Member

sorry

i meant the uncle said cleaner wrasse will die after eating ich

is this true?

it's true to a certain extent lah...cleaner wrasse will die after eating ich cos after that no more food for it to live mah (if it doesnt eat captive food)... so either the lfs is trying to joke with u regardin the disease spreading or that has been his belief... if it's the latter then he shldnt be bringin in cleaner wrasse in the first place wat n all cleaner wrasse would hav extinct due to white spot indigestion :P

• SRC Member

it's true to a certain extent lah...cleaner wrasse will die after eating ich cos after that no more food for it to live mah (if it doesnt eat captive food)... so either the lfs is trying to joke with u regardin the disease spreading or that has been his belief... if it's the latter then he shldnt be bringin in cleaner wrasse in the first place wat n all cleaner wrasse would hav extinct due to white spot indigestion :P

I didn't know cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasse eats ich... :huh:

• SRC Member

HAHAHA. This Thread is getting more and more exciting! Guys and Girls keep them coming ya?

Well, as for the west lfs so hot-ly (i know tis aint English) in the west near NP, lets just put it this way. The boss owns the shop. We dont. So how he wanna run it its his business. As long as we (reefers) know where we can get the correct and accurate knowledge from which lfs then its fair to me liao. =)

*"I was thinking if I urge a reputable lfs to move next to their shop, wonder what will happen to them?" IMO............. confirm close down. Just my 2 cents*

Hmm. just thinking. There is a lfs in J8? where? can point e the directions? I wanna go down someday. Just window shop around. Thanks.

kelso:

Can post me a pic of this solar panel gadget? It will be a good idea for pple to use it together with MH since MH generates a lot of thermal energy. So might be good to use that to cool down the air around it. Save electricity

thanks..

• SRC Member
HAHAHA. This Thread is getting more and more exciting! Guys and Girls keep them coming ya?

Well, as for the west lfs so hot-ly (i know tis aint English) in the west near NP, lets just put it this way. The boss owns the shop. We dont. So how he wanna run it its his business. As long as we (reefers) know where we can get the correct and accurate knowledge from which lfs then its fair to me liao. =)

*"I was thinking if I urge a reputable lfs to move next to their shop, wonder what will happen to them?" IMO............. confirm close down. Just my 2 cents*

Hmm. just thinking. There is a lfs in J8? where? can point e the directions? I wanna go down someday. Just window shop around. Thanks.

kelso:

Can post me a pic of this solar panel gadget? It will be a good idea for pple to use it together with MH since MH generates a lot of thermal energy. So might be good to use that to cool down the air around it. Save electricity

thanks..

There are a lot of shops who put money before customers.

I once called an LFS to ask if they had true percula. The uncle said "Haaaaave, you come down and see lah!"

I took a cab all the way from Jurong. Cost me about $13 to get to the central region. Reach there, I saw all false percula. I asked the uncle, "why you told me on the phone got true percula?"

He pretend blur, den ask: "oh, you mean that type come from america one ah?"

I left the shop...dun think I'll be going back there again.

• SRC Member

Solar panels???? Wow, that's cool...can PM me how you do it or not?

yeah...where to get solar panel??? imagine if can hook up one to power some powerhead.....at least if power trip there will still be the sun to keep things going..... :peace:

For power head its not so easy you'd need a lead acid battery/gel cell and get the solar panel to charge it, then connect an inverter to convert to ac and plug in your powerhead/ac device.

For smaller draw devices like dc fans you can run straight from the panel but then you need sunlight on at least 3/4 or more of the panel before you get enough power (older/cheaper panels need unobstructed light to the whole panel)

But then a 10W panel like the one I have which is weather proof would run $150-$200 here so you would need to factor in the cost