cowbox's tank

cowbox

• SRC Member

Heelo! still new to this.ExperienceD a few failures and upsets but have learnt from them. Feel free to comment. Im currently slowly stocking my tank with corals.

my current tank, 2ft, since 2003 Nov

F8s01168.jpg

Tank specs and equip:

2 ft x 1.5ft x 2 ft

normal lighting 1 x blue, 1x white.........planning to get t5 lighting

27-28 C

No2 , No3 untracable

dosing seachem Reef complete

Fluval canister with carbon

1 ft I~aqua Refug

weipro 2013 with dynax pump

ac fan (got ocean-free one but not really gd)

mixture of 9 small fishes.......clownfish, dasmel etc

my corals....

LYY02426.jpg

my bubbles, clams and some mushies...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

more......

888.jpg

889.jpg

The problem im facing now is that im serving my NS (yeesh urgh!), so i can only tend to my tank during weekends. My mom would help me to feed and top-up the water daily and alert me if anything goes worng. So far the fishes and corals are doing ok except my sun corals...... when i bought it some of its skeletons were already exposed..is it a bad piece?? :unsure:

Anyone can recommend me a good ac fan? And im planning to get T5 lights ....is it a wsier choice. That's all now ! :)

• SRC Member

nice tank u got there.. the light are abit dule for ur tank.. try getting a PL light or other light will do.. although a T5 is good.. but i think for ur 2ft use PL will do.. it quite bright after all..

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

Bro, no offense but I think your Goniopora (Flowerpot) is going liao. :(

They need very stable tank condition which is not so possible in Nano tank. <_<

I healthy Gonio looks full, strong, fat and commanding. Once they are flimsy, you better watch out liao. :shock:

Here is an example of a Gonio I have kept for 1yr+. :D

post-69-1110179671.jpg

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
full, strong, fat and commanding.

:off: I can think of another thing that you had described. :P

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

Is that me????? :P

But Seriously, with my limited experience, I find the Gonio as one of the more dominating corals. Thus when it is healthy, it will stretch commandingly towards the other corals nearby to prevent them from growing. :evil:

I believe Eric Borneman has also written about this behaviour of it several times in RK too. :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
Is that me????? :P

On pfizer...hehe

Cowbox dude, is your refuge lights on 24/7? This way may help to maintain a steady Ph level.. but your micro-algae must grow more first. If it is, you might want to stick oyama paper at the back to let the corals rest during the night.

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

more......

888.jpg

889.jpg

The problem im facing now is that im serving my NS (yeesh urgh!), so i can only tend to my tank during weekends. My mom would help me to feed and top-up the water daily and alert me if anything goes worng. So far the fishes and corals are doing ok except my sun corals...... when i bought it some of its skeletons were already exposed..is it a bad piece?? :unsure:

Anyone can recommend me a good ac fan? And im planning to get T5 lights ....is it a wsier choice. That's all now ! :)

Hi Bro,

You better changed to T5 soon. Cuz your crocea is loosing colours liao and very soon it will start gapping, by then too late liao. :cry:

If you need help while you are in camp, you can look for bros or sis that stay around you area, I am sure they will be more then willing. :D

35cents: I dun need pfizer yet. :P

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
Bro, no offense but I think your Goniopora (Flowerpot) is going liao. :(

They need very stable tank condition which is not so possible in Nano tank. <_<

I healthy Gonio looks full, strong, fat and commanding. Once they are flimsy, you better watch out liao. :shock:

Here is an example of a Gonio I have kept for 1yr+. :D

hmm how to identify whether its strong, commanding and fat? wanna keep mine in close eyes also..

hmm how to identify whether its strong, commanding and fat? wanna keep mine in close eyes also..

Actually its very simple, you compare the cowbox's gonio and mine, you will notice the difference espcially the tentacles. ;)

But personally, Goniopora is not a coral I will recommend, I prefer the Alveopora, they are hardier and also much pleasing to the eyes. The difference between Alveo and Gonio is in the tentacles - Alveo have 12 tentacles per polyp while the Gonio have 24. ;)

I dun have a good pix of the Alveo right now, anyway the Alveo is on the top right hand of this photo next to the Trachiphyllia. :D

post-69-1110183664.jpg

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

Daz brand 3' T5 set cost less than $150/-, further more it's T5 HO not NO. It consist of 2 white and 1 blue tube. Only setback is you might get a set that will breakdown in 3 weeks or so. But that can be resolve easily as the warranty covers that.

IMHO Worth buying even though the warranty covers only 1 year, after that can strip down the unit and DIY the eballast to osram or better eballast.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

Hi guys . This is my latest update!

I cant believe it but i just bought the aquamarin chiller + MH combo!! :nc::blink:

The price was quite reasonable so i decided to give it try (now im so broke :pinch:)

Anyway i will have to rescape for my skimmer PH coz i gotta shift it to fit my MH. Will give you guys another update sooon!

Cheers! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi! Been pretty busy lately... I have transferred my reef to a slightly larger 2 foot tank, bought chiller and MH too! Just finished setting up on good friday and heres the update :):) Plan to turn the MH about 6 hours everyday, hopefully it would do the corals good after their treatment wit my older lightings ;)

BRm07196.jpg

Picture wit my Mh ligting...bought frm Aquamarin :rolleyes:

6906.jpg

6907.jpg

• SRC Member

Hmm.. i bought the chiller+Mh combo on impose then, coz by paying 10 bucks more i could get the MH instead of a t5 :unsure:;) ...... I will try the MH for a week .....photo period no more then 6 hours and tell ya guys if its working :)

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Hi guys haven updated in awhile. Here are some pics of my current tank. It's doing well with the MH light :).

2x2x1.5 tank

mh lighting on daily for 8 hours, followed by 2 hours of blue lighting

weekly change of water(abt 10 %)

weekly dose of nutrients: calcium, carbonate, reef benefits

live stock: 8 small fishes, hermit crab, sand shifting star fish

corals : hammers, mushrooms, jewels, fan worms, coco worms, elegance, sun coral, bubbles,plate coral ....

temp: 26 degrees with resun chiller

skimmer: macro needlewheel 150

filter: Fluval running with activated carbon(monthly change)

1 foot i-refuge with 6 inch sand bed

seio 820 for added water movment

13111.jpg

full tank

13114.jpg

fishes

13115.jpg

my hermit...grows quite fast! gotta change its shell almost every month!

thats all for now!

• SRC Member

Hello! here are some updates of my tank

The new tank has been doing well so far since 3 mths. The pro im facing now is brown algae or cyano........ gotta clean the tank wall ;) Is there anything to stop or reduce it? Does chlorination helps?

K here are the tank pics......

3Gt19342.jpg

FmS19590.jpg

2x2x1.5 tank, comes with a nice cabinet bought from jalan kayu (yyessh)

SJe19900.jpg

some zoos and unknown coral(can help me ID?). My coco worm dont seem to like outdoors very much.........always hide away in its crust :erm:

XWv20051.jpg

my little white bubble :rolleyes: has been growing "rounder" . Recently noticed it has shades of brown ......could it have been bleached?? :blink:

G6320271.jpg

one of my mushrooms and sun coral. When i first had the sun coral, i got it cheap but there was barely any flesh left on its skeleton. Thankfully its recovering and its even opening up! :peace: