Percula clown Vs "Bali Nemo"

What's a bali nemo?! :blink:

It's either Amphiprion ocellaris or Amphiprion percula .

Perculas tend to have more black outlining the white stripes. And they have one more dorsal ray compared to ocellaris (or is it the other way round? best to check with others).

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

The Bali "Nemo" and Phillipines "Nemo" are actually false percula clownfishes. It does not matter where the clownfish comes from.What if a shop sells a True Percula Clownfish from Singapore waters? Would you prefer False percula from Bali or the True Percula from Singapore.

• SRC Member
What's a bali nemo?! :blink:

It's either Amphiprion ocellaris or Amphiprion percula .

Perculas tend to have more black outlining the white stripes. And they have one more dorsal ray compared to ocellaris (or is it the other way round? best to check with others).

Can elaborate more on the ray of dorsal thingy?

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

Can elaborate more on the ray of dorsal thingy?

To elaborate more on Fuel's point, the scientific way for IDing true or false percs is in the number of dorsal spines on their back.. True percs have lesser dorsal spines (9 or 10) than false percs (11 or 12).

Do a search on the internet to see pics of the difference.

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/clownfish...l/blpercula.htm

a link for you guys to see, managed to find it. hmm.. it says:

Amphiprion percula, the True Percula Clownfish.

# It has 10 (rarely 9) dorsal spines.

# It often has black edged borders of varied widths around its white bars.

False Percula Clownfish/False Clown Anemonefish/Amphiprion ocellaris

# t never has the black edged borders around its white bars.

# It has 11 (rarely 10) dorsal spines.

# The spinous (anterior) part of the dorsal fin is taller.

hmm.. is that the only difference? hmm.. then why do people prefer to choose the true perculas? is it better to find a anemone host for them? do we buy it as a "set" at the LFS? haha.

thanks bros!! have a great weekend!

• SRC Member
http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/clownfish...l/blpercula.htm

a link for you guys to see, managed to find it. hmm.. it says:

Amphiprion percula, the True Percula Clownfish.

# It has 10 (rarely 9) dorsal spines.

# It often has black edged borders of varied widths around its white bars.

False Percula Clownfish/False Clown Anemonefish/Amphiprion ocellaris

# t never has the black edged borders around its white bars.

# It has 11 (rarely 10) dorsal spines.

# The spinous (anterior) part of the dorsal fin is taller.

hmm.. is that the only difference? hmm.. then why do people prefer to choose the true perculas? is it better to find a anemone host for them? do we buy it as a "set" at the LFS? haha.

thanks bros!! have a great weekend!

As you stated, then what other differences are you hoping to have besides pricewise?

True precs are more popular probably due to the larger stripe of black... thus having distinctively more colours...i guess.

In the wild, its very rare to find any species of clownfish swimming without an anemone nearby. So answer is yes it's better.

As a "set", many LFS do sell paired precs but hosted with anemone rather rare. BUt its not difficult to get clownfish to be hosted by anemone... just need to know the compatibility between the species of clowns and anemones.

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

hmm.... do any of you know where to get "tank bred" perculas? coz its recommended that hobbyists get such perculas as they are more hardy. and doesn't "require" an anemone, coz they've never seen one before. don't think i wanna try to have an anemone, not sure whether my tank is good enough for one.

FYI, here we indonesian people call Bali Nemo as a True Percula, where as False Percula are call as common percula. It just a nick name, so you will not find Bali Nemo on the Marine Atlas. Sometimes Bali Nemo are also call as Biak Nemo, because this 2 area are the place where fishermen can find a True Percula in Indonesia, so from hundreds of collective area, only 2 collective area which is located in Bali and Biak where they can find True Percula, other places are spreading a common clown. Hope this will clear the misunderstanding.

• SRC Member

hey bro Asfur, are you saying that the Bali nemo that RB sells is true perc? hmm.. i bought one for only $3 the other time.

moorish_idol, i'm only thinking of keeping a pair. so want to get true percs, coz they are nicer right? haha, so what's the price of a normal pair? hmm....

:D Hey bro somebody, i don't know what clown in Reborn, i live in Indonesia :P . But, if it is only cost u $3, i think it is a common clown, but collected from Bali area, if u pay attention on my sentences, i said that common clown are spreading in all over my country. A pair of True Percula are about $25-35 here in indonesia, the price depending on marking, size and perfect condition of the fishes.