Free Stuff For Young Reefer?..

jem

• SRC Member

Overhead filter is more prone to water imbalance.

If your idea is to have an 'over-populated' :( tank, skimmer is definitely a must. Even if you are not, try investing on one. It definitely helps in the long run.

Otherwise, be prepared to change water very frequently and to add on, this water is preferably 'aged' or treated and tested.

Advisable to read on the compatibility of fish before venturing to buy them. Cleaner wrasse in an 'immature' tank is not advisable and it does not serve any purpose other than aesthetic ones with the type of inhabitants you have.

Rather difficult to get freebies so I would advise you to take it slowly first and saved whatever monies to get the equipments first before getting the fish and corals.

Happy Reefing... :peace:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

what does the coralline algae does?..is it harmful or helpful?...i intend to buy a sump...can anyone guide my roughly about how much does a hybrid some cost with all the equipment in it?

what does the coralline algae does?..is it harmful or helpful?...i intend to buy a sump...can anyone guide my roughly about how much does a hybrid some cost with all the equipment in it?

relaxing. . u try reading thru the entire forum b4 venturing into marine fish. . honestly one simple set up can easily range from $800-$20000. u need to have the resources. .

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

haha..ok..im doing that now..been reading through this forum from 7am till now..still gotta learn much...im gonna get a 3ft tank+sump, and another 2ft sump for my current setup..gotta place my other guppy tank somewhere else..guess my mom will kill me!..3 tanks in my bedroom.. :pinch:

• SRC Member

relaxing. . u try reading thru the entire forum b4 venturing into marine fish. . honestly one simple set up can easily range from $800-$20000. u need to have the resources. .

I agree with acidjazz... this hobby is not cheap..

careful planning is a must, and not to start halfway just to give up due to lack of resource to continue. Your fishes will suffer. The cost would be higher if you're building a reef tank. ;)

u mention u are placing the tank in ur room. i am no expert, but if u get a chiller, the noise and heat generated from the chiller is enuff to put u off. second if u get MH, it also generates lots of heat n it will light up ur whole room. thirdly, most tanks are pretty quiet but say your system is noisy, u prob have more nightmares than dreams. . :D

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

• SRC Member

i will take a note of that..does a 3ft or bigger aquarium require a chiller...i have a Fan fpr my 2ft and it seems to keep the temp above 26 below 29

• SRC Member
i will take a note of that..does a 3ft or bigger aquarium require a chiller...i have a Fan fpr my 2ft and it seems to keep the temp above 26 below 29

A chiller will enable you to control the temperature better. Using fan will cause water to evaporate at a much faster rate. Water temperature will also depends on environmental temperature. :huh:

Depend on what you are keeping. A chiller is not a must in some cases, but its good to have.

• SRC Member

okay!..but i won't get a chiller as my budget is rather low..will get one for me 4 feet tank next time..haha

anyway..anyone have a sump,skimmer,overflow and lr to sell away?..what the diff between macro skimmer and beckett?

• SRC Member

for once, I thought the nemo craze has gone..

ppl going to marine now should be into serious reefing..

checking out the stuffs, reading books, calculate finance abit before jumping in..

look like its not..

for some time was sian of the cheapos who dun do their work n ask for free stuffs.. n its like you owe it to them in previous life..

It seem like the tide never stop.. :lol:

:off: Remember the infamous Seamarine? :lol::D

:off: Remember the infamous Seamarine? :lol::D

:fear::fear:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
okay!..but i won't get a chiller as my budget is rather low..will get one for me 4 feet tank next time..haha

anyway..anyone have a sump,skimmer,overflow and lr to sell away?..what the diff between macro skimmer and beckett?

Hey young reefer,

Seems that alot of nice bros and uncles are helping u .. ;)

just to give u some advice on a budgeted set up.

1. overhead filter is ok, but have to check and change fileter wool regularly.

2. If u dun intend to keep corals in this 2 ft tank .. dun have to buy MH or T5,

normal FL or PL is good enuff.

3. fan is ok as long as it can keep the temp within the range.

4. those $6-10 cheap sander wood skimmer can skim as good if u place at the rite

water level.(have to maintain water level to keep it performing well)

5. frequent water change can prevent toxic building up. (2-3 weeks once, 20%)

hope it can give u a bit more confident..

and before u start ur 3 ft .. i advice that u read up more .. and save up more .. haha... unless u DIY all the equipment urself .. haha

Till then.. happy exploring! ;)

OH YAH!! .. u better reconsider putting the tank in ur room ..

i noe having it in the room is most of the reefers dream..

But the inconvience cause by it is not trival.

it's almost impossible to sleep with a tank in the room . unless u are not a light sleeper. be it any system , the sound can be extremly distubing at night , be prepared if u wanna put in room ya :peace:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
it's almost impossible to sleep with a tank in the room . unless u are not a light sleeper. be it any system , the sound can be extremly distubing at night , be prepared if u wanna put in room ya :peace:

i place it in my tank for more than 1.5 years liao.

at first, im not to it.

but after while, im alrite with it

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

i place it in my tank for more than 1.5 years liao.

at first, im not to it.

but after while, im alrite with it

i mean room not tank.

*sleepy*

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

hi jem,

i agree with the rest of the reefers in that youll need a working protein skimmer for your tank, be it the 2 footer or 3 footer. it was only with the advent of the skimmer that common home marine fish keeping was made viable long term so do check them out. you can see the skimmers at work in all the lfs.

as for the overhang filter, i think they are useful for providing water movement without intruding into your tank space. this helps to reduce surface tension of your tank's water and allow important gaseous exchanges to occur. in marine tanks, the primary waste product accumulation occurs within the top 3% of your tanks water- that is, at the surface- which is why fellow reefers discourage you from using overhangs as they suck water from the bottom areas instead of from the top. you can easily rectify this by connecting an overflow attachment to the intake of your hang on filter. you can buy this at most lfs, or you can DIY an overflow intake area within your tank by siliconing acrylic pieces together and some 'comb' like bits, and then place you overhang to draw water from inside this compartment. i recently upgraded to a custom 3 foot, and made an overflow for myself and have some spare materials so if you'd like i'll be glad to help you fix one up.

pls do check out www.wetwebmedia.com as theres a wealth of information there about the various schools of marine reefkeeping techniques, and individual writeups about the various species of fish and invertebrates that you might like to keep- their habits and care requirements.

do also read up about deep sand beds and their benefits as most public aquaria like the monteray bay aquarium and others use the deep sand bed system, some along with Jaubert style plenums, some without, that helps to facilitate the denitrification processes that are necessary within a marine tank. this is particularly important if you do not have the means to afford a good skimmer like a Beckett.

do also try to plan the stocking of your tank as you shouldnt overstock your tank as there'll be problems in time, and there are also many varieties of fish that will not get along together. Maroon clowns for example ought best to be kept singly or in mated pairs and not be mixed with other species of clowns as over time as they grow they'll bully the others. likewise the varied tangs often are agressive towards conspecifics, that is, fish resembling them of the same species, so ideally one only per tank unless its a big big tank.

temperature too is a concern so try to avoid the more difficult corals if youre unable to afford a chiller or cooling fans.

well... thats bout it for now. hope my two cents helps as i wished i'd known these aspects to the hobby when i first started out instead of only having the advice of dodgy lfs owners. if you need anything you can always pm me or post it online ya. src is a great community, and we're glad youre beginning here.

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member

wow!..thanks thanks!.. :yeah: you guys are great!..i've learn so much from all of you since i started reefing..oh yea..i going to get a sump from a fellow reefer...yups..will be brining in a 4 footer into my room!! parents agreed...but gotta wait..haha..i know i must take it slow..not to worry guys..i will at least cycle the 4 feet tank for a month before i add in anything :P yups..thanks so much for all of you guys support!..

• SRC Member

No problem Jem. This forum is to share and learn from each others.

Reefing hobby can be cheap or expensive. Either one can fail or succeed, but the key is good husbandry, and it derive from knowledge.

And lastly to add on and which is the most important, be it in a marine hobby, any hobby, in studies or in your future job; is "knowing wat knowledge/info to seek, where to seek and how to seek them"

here's something that can help you:

http://www.copernic.com/

A powerful program that let you search up to twelve search engines simultaneously, and can save your searched result for future referencing/viewing.

Cheers :D:D

too much thing to absorb liao.

best like me, last time I always go library to borrow books on marine.

Its best you got some hardcopy you can refer to..

reading too much from the monitor not good for the eyes..

hehe

Most of us started out with marine by trial and error cuz last time no src, dunno where to find information, impulsive etc. . as a result some of us kenna chopped by lfs or ran a system tt cant work. so i think u sld set aside a budget for ur tank, and ask fellow reefers to help you, they are all generous people.

i believe marine systems sld have a sump, and say u decide not to run one, be prepare to change water very often.

In fact the most impt equipments for a marine tank is:

1) the tank itself

2) the chiller

3) the lightings

4) the skimmer

Just these 4 equipments can cost $2000. .

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Most of us started out with marine by trial and error cuz last time no src, dunno where to find information, impulsive etc. . as a result some of us kenna chopped by lfs or ran a system tt cant work. so i think u sld set aside a budget for ur tank, and ask fellow reefers to help you, they are all generous people.

i believe marine systems sld have a sump, and say u decide not to run one, be prepare to change water very often.

In fact the most impt equipments for a marine tank is:

1) the tank itself

2) the chiller

3) the lightings

4) the skimmer

Just these 4 equipments can cost $2000. .

1 more, water movement

Don't forget that!!!! :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

ok..reserved a 4 ft tank from a fellow reefer...hey bro..know any good lobang for transportation services cheep² one?..