To encounter heat problem in marine tank

angmoh

• SRC Member

Hi guys, currently i'm having a 2ft x 1ft x 1ft 10 gal FOWLR tank ... and i just upgraded the lighting (1 x 20W daylight and 1 x 20W coral blue moon) . The heat dissipated by the light is pretty hot ..

i'm wondering if the fish and invertebrate can take it ? temp is about 31-32 celcius degree.

LS i'm having now is : ocellaris , bicolor blenny, electrical blue leg, cleaner shrimp and some caulerpa (red-sea grape and normal sea grape) ... and i'm planning to get some mushrooms ...

i'm thinking of cooling the tank by using an AC fan to blow on it .. but...

1) Will it cause major salinity swing during the evaporation ? As we know, quite an amount of water can be evaporate during the fanning period.

2) I'm thinking of turning on the fan during the photoperiod ( 8 am - 8pm) and will turn off at nite .. just wan to reduce the evaporation rate. Is it advisable ?

3) If toping up fresh water is needed, what's the correct procedure ? ie. get a bucket of water, pour in antichlorine and pour into the tank directly ? or ? leave it over night.. ???

:thanks:

>>

Keep the temperature below 30 degrees, maybe hover around 29 degrees sld be good enuff.

T5 or PL lightings sldnt generate tt much heat. my fowlr tank is running without chiller.

Day time temperature: 28-28.5 degrees

Night time temperature: 27-28 degrees

I try not to add in too much powerheads or pumps to increase heat. So far only got a tunze and a Rio20hf return pump, plus another 2 spare pumps for circulation.

Sure need to top up water if u use fun. And its a daily event. Leave the water overnight wld be best.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

1. Only WATER evaporate, so u don't need to worry for SALT.

2. Adviseable, if ur tank is next to window ( and windy ) so night will have same temp as day time, But remember in the ocean, NIGHT TIME TEMP DROP.

3. If tight budget, just pour tap water.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
ahh forgot to tell .. i'm on very tight budget.. so i dont think chiller suit me :P

using fowlr dun waste your $$$ on a chiller. no need.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

Fan will be good enough for the task. Get a better one, I got my leak current.

There are way to cool down the water more effectively depend on how you setup the fan. The blowing direction and angle, so so. The efficient way to attemp put the fan so the wind will blow across the water surface.

You may get some fan will adjustable angle.

Evaporation does come with this setup.

Its not "swing" to me, since if you don't topoff water, the SG will increase, never go down. BAD.

If you use tap water and anti-whatever stuff, its good to use the water 1 or more days later, to let those chemic fully disolve.

Better use good water, like RO. I only used filter water, direct pouring :D

Hi guys, currently i'm having a 2ft x 1ft x 1ft 10 gal FOWLR tank ... and i just upgraded the lighting (1 x 20W daylight and 1 x 20W coral blue moon) . The heat dissipated by the light is pretty hot ..

i'm wondering if the fish and invertebrate can take it ? temp is about 31-32 celcius degree.

LS i'm having now is : ocellaris , bicolor blenny, electrical blue leg, cleaner shrimp and some caulerpa (red-sea grape and normal sea grape) ... and i'm planning to get some mushrooms ...

i'm thinking of cooling the tank by using an AC fan to blow on it .. but...

1) Will it cause major salinity swing during the evaporation ? As we know, quite an amount of water can be evaporate during the fanning period.

2) I'm thinking of turning on the fan during the photoperiod ( 8 am - 8pm) and will turn off at nite .. just wan to reduce the evaporation rate. Is it advisable ?

3) If toping up fresh water is needed, what's the correct procedure ? ie. get a bucket of water, pour in antichlorine and pour into the tank directly ? or ? leave it over night.. ???

:thanks:

Wow, bro u ask how many forums on this? d forums i also see this.

hahaha getting this best of how many worlds?

• SRC Member

wakaka no la .. just hope can get different comments/opinions as much as possible ma, so can compare compare .. different forum got different ppl ma .. but seems like u r following me everywhere .. :lol:

>>

wakaka no la .. just hope can get different comments/opinions as much as possible ma, so can compare compare .. different forum got different ppl ma .. but seems like u r following me everywhere .. :lol:

no not following, spying, tailing, monitoring. hahahaa

me joined forum 1st mah...u later....u followed me instead. hahaha