Starting sch soon.... which laptop should i get??

somebody

• SRC Member

going to smu soon...

sch's offering 2 brands only, fujitsu and ibm,

the ibms:

http://registration.smu.edu.sg/cit/pc/notebook_spec.asp

the fujitsu:

http://registration.smu.edu.sg/cit/pc/tablet_spec.asp

well... nus is offering more notebooks:

http://www.nus.edu.sg/global/2004/nbos/price.htm

slightly more ex for the ibms... but got more variety... so how?? what's your suggestion? =)

which one do you think i should get?? hmm... or any other brands do you recommend.?? =)

wld really appreciate your recommendations(pros and cons) and personal experiences.... thank you thank you!!

thanks!!

• SRC Member

The choice is clear, Big Blue.

Service and quality. My company is using 100% IBM and I was supporting them in my earlier job. Guess what, seldom got any problems one!

Most executive use them too! For business use, also more presentable.

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected to IBM. :lol:

• SRC Member

a lot of my friend's fujitsus and toshibas ran into major problems before... actually even my IBM too.. but more so from toshibas...

but that's abt 3yrs back... now i donno if they QC better or not..

also.. when my IBM problem arose I got it back the next working day.. my gf's toshiba waited for 1 week +++ with many phone calls to chase them...

• SRC Member

currently using fujitsu lifebook since 2004... no complaints. decent performance, quite light as well.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

well if u think this way .. we should get laptop that give us the less problems lolx..

no point getting a laptop that is giving u a lot problems, but their customer service is good/fast.

but it is kinda hard to find quality and efficient stuff around lately

• SRC Member

smu promotes advanced learning methods and using notebook in a high tech classroom setup is juz one of the many examples. that being said, a tablet is best.

lenovo (was ibm) is normal screen while toshiba and fujitsu are tablets. you should get from smu since they package office, av, etc all in for the price you see.

i personally prefer toshiba but am using a fujitsu rite now. suggest you compare both and put weight as priority. smu city campus has lots of power points so u can plug in anytime for power if ur bat runs low. ibm and fujitsu has on-site engineers so if there are serious problems, you can get it checked out faster than toshiba.

all come with 3 years warranty and by the time you graduate, the notebook can sell as scrap metal liao. technology moves too fast...

• SRC Member
hmm.... so tablet or no tablet? heheh.. sigh... keep the ideas pouring in!! =)

you are helping very much!! thank yo uthank you!! =)

I think a "normal" notebook is sufficient for school.. no need to get tablet.. more expensive leh..

my personal view :lol:

• SRC Member
smu promotes advanced learning methods and using notebook in a high tech classroom setup is juz one of the many examples. that being said, a tablet is best.

lenovo (was ibm) is normal screen while toshiba and fujitsu are tablets. you should get from smu since they package office, av, etc all in for the price you see.

i personally prefer toshiba but am using a fujitsu rite now. suggest you compare both and put weight as priority. smu city campus has lots of power points so u can plug in anytime for power if ur bat runs low. ibm and fujitsu has on-site engineers so if there are serious problems, you can get it checked out faster than toshiba.

all come with 3 years warranty and by the time you graduate, the notebook can sell as scrap metal liao. technology moves too fast...

untouchables from SMU too? :lol:

• SRC Member
untouchables from SMU too? :lol:

smu??? :P

found out that toshiba is not among the successful tenderer this time round so only left ibm and fujitsu.

go for tablet but screen a bit small. i still prefer tablet cos can scribble, etc. dun need pen and paper liao.

dun get mac etc cos you will be one of those oddballs who cannot connect to the wireless lan and you may be forced to use vpn secure connection since encryption using wep or .1x is not supported on mac.

if u wanna get ibm, hold back juz a little cos a technology refresh is coming, so for the same price, you get the highest end cpu... gonna happen soon i think. heard it from ibm due to intel cuting prices for their highest end chip.