Hardest Powders To Keep..

Which Powder Tang is the Hardest to Keep?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which Powder Tang is the Hardest to Keep?

• Powder Blue Tang
    • Powder Black Tang
    • Powder Brown Tang

• SRC Member

Actually most marine fishes are easy to keep if they are eating like pig.

However I vote Powder Brown to be the hardest because it seems to be timid and shy, always hiding..

As for the Powder Blue, seems to be the more aggressive of the three and boldest too.. Therefore, slightly easier to feed..

Powder Black.. Haven't tried yet.. Wanna try!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Have a Powder blue in my QT.

Now into the 3 week. No itch yet, *cross my fingers and toes.

Treating it with medication as a preventive measure. Able to get it to feed on formula2 pellets.

Last time one powder black. Beatiful and eating very well but die of itch.. heart ache...

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

my powder brown died within 4 days with no signs of itch.. the blue is alive kicking feeding (x fingers) 4 2 weeks now.. skitch spots on the fins but i'm dousing medicine daily.

aquatronica7na.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

imo, i have tried

(1) powder blue - fail (died of ich) -_-

(2) Blue tang - fail (disappear)

(3) yellow tang - fail (eating well...but one day, kanna suck by my pump) :wacko:

now, QT...brown tang. See whether can work....:D

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

powder blue..(keep for a very long time till i change my tank and it died during the process)

powder brown..keep for more than 4 months...

powder black...dosent seem to eat n starve to death..

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

Alvin

I noticed u keep Clown tang and Clown Tang needs very clean water. My clown Tang died after about 3 weeks. Is the water quality more stringent for Clown Tang as compared to Powder Blue Tang? Currently, I am using Rowaphos to keep PO4 to 0 and AZNO3 to keep NO3 to 5 ppm. I am not using any carbon. Do I need to use carbon to remove other chemicals in the water ? What brand of carbon do u use and do u use it continuously or remove it after 2 or 3 days ?

• SRC Member
Alvin

I noticed u keep Clown tang and Clown Tang needs very clean water. My clown Tang died after about 3 weeks. Is the water quality more stringent for Clown Tang as compared to Powder Blue Tang? Currently, I am using Rowaphos to keep PO4 to 0 and AZNO3 to keep NO3 to 5 ppm. I am not using any carbon. Do I need to use carbon to remove other chemicals in the water ? What brand of carbon do u use and do u use it continuously or remove it after 2 or 3 days ?

hi bro, nope..i dun run any carbon for my tank....as i got it when it was feeding with pellets already....so far gt no prob...initially in my old tank, there was some ich problem but it went fine after i gave it formula 2... :lol:

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member
OK. Thanks for replying . Is there anything for water quality that I need to take care other than the PO4 and NO3 ?

hi bro...i have seen PBTs surviving for a long time on a po4 3mg tank.... ;)

so i guess u have to worried on the nitrate more than the po4...of cos, it will be gd to keep ur water quality in the most optimum condition wherever you can... :D

for fishes, look out for ammonia, nitrite..this two are the killing factor..it shld be kept at less den 0.05mg at all times... :evil:

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

• SRC Member

jus to add to the above post, it is best to quarantine the fish before you intro into ur main tank....observe at least 2wks before you intro it into ur main tank...also, try ur best to train the fish to eat garlic pellets at that period of time...it will help alot in the immune system of the fish so that it will not get ich all the time.. ;)

hth

Equipments:

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

Alvin

I did quarantine for about 2-3 weeks and the Clown Tang was feeding well before releasing into main tank. Not too sure whether the Clown Tang got white spots after the Powder Blue Tang "Terrorises" it in the main tank or the water quality still not good enough because I tried flame angels and coral beauty a few times. Each time the pygmy angels did not last more than 3 weeks in the tank. I have never been successful with pygmy angel.

• 4 years later...