Review on the different kinds of Marine Salts

hongqixian

• SRC Member

yea... all the top brands u see in the table are all their products... Bio Sea, Meersaltz etc.. all their salts... coincidence? hmm... maybe if the salt is their product they add 50 points(they grade the salts by criteria. each criteria holds a certain number of points) :lol: haha

Live and Let Live

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this link about the S15 report Aquacraft uses for their products and claims !!!!

So has anyone seen the actual S15 report?

http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com/Arti...e_Aquarist.html

Ming :blink:

:off: for a moment i thought u were talking abt the nissan silvia S15.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

any1 of u ever have complains after using coral life salt ? :blink:

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

i believe results shldnt b totally based on test kits

as they r sumtimes inaccurate proved by reefer 's post...

least one thing we can sure what reaction corals have after trying to adapt itself to e new brand of salt....

any brand of salt deteriotes e quality of corals after adding shld fail e test....

:pinch::pinch::pinch:

• SRC Member

Hmmm...

I dont know how true this is. But i happen to come across a reefer who told me something very interesting about salt-mix.

To all Corallife users, dont flame me after i said this. Like i said i heard it from others too.

Well.. my fren said that there was a time when some professionals reefers who wanted to test out the quality of salts(see which salt is more toxic to marine) available in the market then. Among the salt mix are Instant Ocean, TM, Corallife, Reef Crystals (did i spell it right?), Red Sea and more which i cannot remember. They used these various brands of salts and prepare the water for the tanks. And of course an experiment you need something to work on something. So these reefers test the salts on jellyfishes. This is because jellyfishes are very very susceptible to water parameters. The slightest unfavourable water upset will result in the death of the jellyfish. Food and other parameters were constantly kept at the optimum rate. So the experiments will stop when the jellyfishes have died. Bascially, they are trying to test which jellyfish can survive the longest. And it turns out that the jellyfish in TM waters survive the longest and that jellyfish in Corallife waters survive the shortest.

well, the conclusion i think i dont need to draw le.

Personally, please understand that i have no grudges against any brands of salt. I am prefectly neutral. I just wanna share with ya all the things i heard and hope to seek some opinions, but dont need to flame me. Just opinions. thanks

Just my 2 cents worth...

• SRC Member
Hmmm...

I dont know how true this is. But i happen to come across a reefer who told me something very interesting about salt-mix.

To all Corallife users, dont flame me after i said this. Like i said i heard it from others too.

Well.. my fren said that there was a time when some professionals reefers who wanted to test out the quality of salts(see which salt is more toxic to marine) available in the market then. Among the salt mix are Instant Ocean, TM, Corallife, Reef Crystals (did i spell it right?), Red Sea and more which i cannot remember. They used these various brands of salts and prepare the water for the tanks. And of course an experiment you need something to work on something. So these reefers test the salts on jellyfishes. This is because jellyfishes are very very susceptible to water parameters. The slightest unfavourable water upset will result in the death of the jellyfish. Food and other parameters were constantly kept at the optimum rate. So the experiments will stop when the jellyfishes have died. Bascially, they are trying to test which jellyfish can survive the longest. And it turns out that the jellyfish in TM waters survive the longest and that jellyfish in Corallife waters survive the shortest.

well, the conclusion i think i dont need to draw le.

Personally, please understand that i have no grudges against any brands of salt. I am prefectly neutral. I just wanna share with ya all the things i heard and hope to seek some opinions, but dont need to flame me. Just opinions. thanks

Just my 2 cents worth...

Bro,

Is this experiment published anywhere?

It is always dangerous to say something like "I ever heard my friends said that someone did something...."

• SRC Member

Bro,

Is this experiment published anywhere?

It is always dangerous to say something like "I ever heard my friends said that someone did something...."

Yeah.. i know that. Thats why i said i got no grudges against any brands. I just wanna seek opinions.

Anyway this piece of info a bit long time ago le... So cant really find it.

But i seek opinions ya?

Just dont flame me can liao! :) PEACE! :peace:

Just my 2 cents worth... ;)

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I just did a test on my Tropic Marin sea salt using tap water.

sg: 1.023 at 26c

Ca: 384 (Tropic Marin test kit)

Mg: 1260 (TM test kit)

kH: 8 (TM test kit)

No2: 0,2 (TM test kit)

No3: 20 (TM test kit)

Po4: 0 (TM test kit)

Sio2: 3 (Salifert Test kit)

pH: 8.1 (Hanna ph pen)

Think I'll have to change to Corallife too.

Bern

• SRC Member

I like Coral Life because there is minimal residue after the mixing with water compared to other brands that I have used in the past, like red sea and instant ocean.

I cannot tell the effect from one salt to another on the effects they may have on my lifestock, but am using coral life because it is highly soluble although I have read somewhere that says instant ocean and tropic marine are better salts.

I suppose they are all OK, just like rice. there are so many brandslike Jasmine, Thai fragrant rice, Super, King etc etc, so rice is rice some taste better than others but they are all food we are still around, so if you want a better tasting one, maybe you pay more but it's only part of out diet albeit the price diff. Just like salt to our marine livestock, any salt will do unless you can really see a big difference by using a particular brand or a particular brand of rice can make you more intelligent..............there you go. :D

I just switched to Oceanic after having experimented with KENT Marine Salt, Tropic Marin and CoraLife. The dissolubility of Oceanic salt is fantastic due to its fineness of the 'micro-crystals'. The water clarifies within minutes.

Let me give you a hint:

Do not pour the salt into the water too fast or you'll breathe in the fine particles of salt; its not pleasant at all.

I'm running some tests at the moment, will post them up later.