Review on the different kinds of Marine Salts

hongqixian

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone find that using Tropic Marin salt, you have to use a lot of it to get the proper salinity compared to other salts?

Nitrate in saltmix?? You gotta be kidding.... there should be no nitrates in saltmix!!

• SRC Member

by right shld be 0ppm lah..but some of the reefers claim that new saltwater will contain no3..thats why i also kay poh to go test mine..

cos i have nitrate problems..also wondered if my salt was one contributing factor..

AT...coralife also 0ppm?

then i might be tempted to switch for awhile...to save some money....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi , if u r refering to the blue packaging with a Rainbow logo , I guess u better not try . I bought 1 packet , when opened , it is very moist and solubility problem is high , after mixing u will still see salt flakes floating....

My corals does'nt seemed happy with it either, till I replace with NSW. :angry:

i have just tested the marine environment salt mix. found that the mg level only 800++ppm while their calcium level is only about 350ppm. i am using salifert test kit for both the test. this is way below the requirement level.

any one tested their mixed salt water before?

:(

• SRC Member

Marine Environment Dual phase Formula Sea Saltwas proven to be the best brand of salt around. its contents are closest to NSW.. Many of the brands of sea salt by aquacraft are ranked among the top of all the brands of sea salt...

Think Aquapharm is a trademark registered under the Corporation Aqua Craft. You refering to which one? There are several brands of salt by Aqua Craft but all of them rank among the top in a qualitative test done by some university..

Think the brands I've seen by Aqua Craft are:

Marine Environment

Meersaltz

Bio-Sea

Coral Marine

Live and Let Live

Coralife® Salt

manufactured by Energy Savers Unlimited, Inc.

(What the manufacturer claims)

(printing on the 50 U5 gallon size)

Net Wt: 14.50 lbs.

Scientific Grade Marine Salt. Highly soluble. Phosphate free. Calcium enriched. Vitamin fortified. Rich in trace elements.

Because salt is the major ingredient of synthetic sea water, most aquarists are aware that the ultimate water quality of marine tanks is primarily influenced by the purity and quality of the salt mixture (1) .... the developers of CORALIFE® ... have scientifically formulated this marine salt mixture to contain ingredients of the highest quality with broad spectrum biological activity(2) ... It contains all essential major and trace elements (3) ... the formula is fortified with selected vitamins and minerals to enhance its effectiveness (4) ... Approximately 0.03 lb. of CORALIFE SCIENTIFIC GRADE MARINE SALT (5) dissolved in 1 gallon of distilled water at 78°F (6) , will yield a solution with the following properties: SG of 1.022-1.023 (7) ... pH 8.2-8.3 (8) ... Calcium 390-410 ppm. (9) .... (The package shows a colorful version of the periodic table of the elements (10) .)

The above advertisement, though appealing is devoid of facts. As shown below Coralife® salt lacks certain critical elements, has dangerous amounts of other elements and is chronically mislabeled.

COMMENTS: Coralife® salt was promoted as the best in early to mid 1992 in FAMA magazine. However the product was not available until late 1992 to early 1993. 1) Salt. Emphasis is given to the amount of "salt", (sodium chloride) in this product as evidenced by the higher amounts of common salts in the assay. 2) Meaningless statements, e.g. "broad spectrum biological activity" and other "say nothing" statements abound on this product. 3) Bromide. The package indicates it contains all essential major and trace elements. However, there is no indication that bromide -- a costly and important minor element -- has been omitted. Importance of Bromide 4) Vitamins. No vitamins were detected in the S-15™ Report™. 5) Scientific Grade. This simply is a meaningless sales slogan. 6) Package weight. The product is sold underweight. The 50 US gallon size will actually make 47 gallons at SG of 1.022. 7) Or it will hydrate 50 US gallons at the wrong SG of 1.019 at 78°F/25°C. 8) The pH of both samples tested was inconsistent with what was offered on the package. 9) Calcium. Both samples contained potentially dangerous amounts of calcium. Calcium levels of 460+ ppm. can precipitate essential trace elements. In the case of Calcium, more may not be better. 10) Periodic Table of the Elements. There is a colorful version of this basic chemistry chart on the package. The appearance of this chart suggests some type of scientific connection, but the chart has no relation to the actual composition of this product. Value #6. With: varying composition from batch to batch, coupled with chronically low amounts of essential magnesium, questionable amounts of calcium, the deficiency of bromide, coupled with confusing, false or misleading packaging and advertising, this product should viewed skeptically. Coralife® salt scored 23 out of 100 with information from the S-15™ Report™.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

After going through the comments on the various brands of salt mixes, I guess it is ultimately the price that determines what you will use.Same thing for petrol rite?

Each brand will definitely promote its 'good' points but whether it transforms into reality is another thing altogether.

For cheap salt use Red Sea.

For expensive salt use Tropic marine.

• SRC Member
I think the above was picked form here.

http://www.aqcraft.com/w0004.html

Sound's very biased. I doubt the authenticity of this review.

ummm, of course it's very biased. it's written by Aquacraft, posted on their website. surely you don't expect them to say their own products are bad and their competitors' good do you? (Marine Environment salt is produced by Aquacraft)

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".