How to loose weight effectively

weisoon

• SRC Member

How to loose weight effectively? Please contribute your experience.

For me, I start my regimen in middle April 05. They consist of running at a good pace of 20-30 minutes every alternate days i.e. 3 times a week(cardio)during evening and weight training on the rest of the days i.e. 2 times a week(resistance) with one day of resting. Till date, I have knock off 13 kgs from 98kg to 85 kg and my height is 1.86m. So that puts me back in the normal BMI range.

Food wise, this is what I did

First 4 weeks, go on a fruit and vegetable diet with very little meat (only chicken breast). Brunch with fruits and drink plenty of water and do very liitle physical activity so as not to make one feel hungry faster. Dinner with vegetable and some chicken is taken 1 hour after the training. The main idea of taking lots of fruits and vegetable is to detox the system and of course with the help of plenty of water. I drink about 5 liters of water a day during the reigmen.

The rest of the weeks, continue as long as one can with the exercise and the food intake. The main thing to watch out for is to reduce or totally cut down to near zero the fat/oil intake. The body daily requirement of fat is not more than 90g max and that quota can be reached with a Big Mac meal of burger and fries. So, the rest will accumulate as fat and stays inthe body. Also not to mention the Sodium. The packet of fries has enough salt to also reach the daily quota.

I have now reached a stage where all the running and exercise will no longer bring my weight down. I guess that my body has gotten used to the regimen and I can only maintain my weight. One way of breaking this body getting used to is to create stress to the body again. Now I am testing out this way of running after some reading/research: On a run, sprint as fast and as long as you can on a stretch and then slow down near to walking to let the heart recover and then sprint off again. Do this for about 20 minutes and I can tell you, its much more difficult than running at a constant speed. As for doing weights, lift/push the heaviest you can for a 5-6 reps and then rest 30 seconds to 1 minutes and then repeat. The old way of doing 10-15 reps at a lighter weight will not create much impact as the heavy weight and low reps.

Lets hear from some other gurus.....Oh ya....get Men's Health magazine. It is a good read to get the ideas on which vegetable/fruits are best and which to avoid.

• SRC Member

For me - i eat only soup based. Skip 1000 times everyday. strictly no soft drink.

But nowaday slackening already ... :D

Weisoon,

Your methods - no carbo only fruits and vege. But can become very hungry very fast ..leh ...

I heard sometimes if you are hungry in the night - try some honey water to suppress it not sure if it effective.

I just read today 180g of fats = 13 tablespoon of oil = 5 cheese burger :blink:

• SRC Member

Agree that not easy on a low/no carbo diet. You will be surprised that I actually consumed about 6 apples, 2 guava, 2 oranges, 1 packet of tomatoes a average day. There may be variations depending on whats available at the supermarket. Vegetables, I have broccoli, cabbage, spinach, long beans, carrots etc.

I second no sweet drinks. Nearly dropped to zero since the start. If really you need rice, go for unpolished rice. They take longer time to digest and does not get converted to simple sugars so easily like polished white rice. Honey if needed to curb the sudden urge but no sweet drinks. Soya bean drinks freshly brewed is good without the syrup.

Sometimes night time feel hungry, then I will down lots of water and 1 or 2 apples and go do crunches (sit ups) of all sorts, reverse, incline, leg lift push ups, etc.

Ya...a Big Mac meal (burger and fries) already hit the quota for a days fat intake. Guess 5 cheese burger will be the same. Anything excess will go to become spare tyre. :(

• SRC Member

My sister went for the no carbo diet for o few years already. Loose weight but she have low blood pressure and lack of iron not to mention frequent headache.

Don't really believe in zero carb diet. I think a control in take of food is the way to go.

Take more fiber food they will keep you full and will also cleanse your colon :sick:

• SRC Member

The low/no carb with fruits/vege diet usually for the starting to detox the system. Thereafter can supplement with meats to meet the iron demand.

Agree with the requirements of fibre. As flying carpet mention, it will kepp you full longer and cleans colon. Go for muesli (those non fat and non sweeten) or better rolled oats with non dairy milk or oat milk.

This oat milk (made from oats) stuff is really good and its organic and less fat than milk.

• SRC Member
What about the high protein diet? I dont quite like the fruits replacing the carbos in your diet- I prefer a juicy steak minus the potatos. Worked very well for me.

You mean Atkins diet? I tried quite some time back just to test the effects and in 2 weeks lost about 2kg. But the feeling in the stomach is not right....kinda hard to describe but just feel blotted and weired feeling. Gave up after that. Further, my blood group is A+ and it is also not suitable for the Atkins diet.

The carbo craving is bound to be developed. If one cannot really control the cravings, just take a few spoonful of rice (unpolished).

Actually now with the heavier weights training, I am think of taking Myoplex (protein+carbo) to supplement my diet. I actually feel that no matter how hard I pumped on the weights, the musscles does not develop as fast. Guess I am not load up enough in protein. However, I do not want to look like a beef cake like those heavy full timed weight lifters. I just want more definitions. You can call me a vain old fart. :lol:

• SRC Member

hotlemond

Agree with you. Cut down on junks and more fruits and vegetables. Eat only when you feel hungry. Was just thinking for a very long time, actually who came up with the definition of breakfast, lunch and dinner? I believe our caveman ancestors surely cannot tell time. They eat only when hungry and also they have to work hard to get their food, go hunting. Hunting means running around to get the animals for meat. So, exercise first then after that get to eat.

I came across an article that did some studies that exercising in the early morning is not so good for one's health as the body's system is still at the resting/waking up state. It actually states that the best time to do heavy work out is during the evening time, the time when the body already warmed up due the the day's work.

• SRC Member

izzit?

but nowadays folks have to work til 8pm on average so the morning run could be the only alternative lor.

had this recept in my workplace..

she always complain fat, which she is. But everytime when she is doing the complain, she was munching away packet of potato chips/chocolate, just after 1/2 an hr ago when she had her lunch plus some tim sun. :wacko:

• SRC Member

I think me method is more relaxed la.

Mon Wed Fri

10mins to warm up either on stationary bicycle or threadmil then 1.5-2hrs weight training session in the gym. Focusing on 2 major muscle grp plus abs session.

(Chest n legs, Shoulders n back, then the last day for arms and to 'touch up')

Started with Light weight (15reps) and move up to heavier weights(At least 8Reps). Abt 3 excercise per muscle grp and at least 4-5sets on a good day. :P

20x3 leg raise, 20x3 deline crunches. Then all the mat works.

Tues Thurs

Purely cardio. At least 40-50 mins of either running or cycling. Trying to do at least 8km per session. But now mostly do till abt 6.5km. Needs more training la. :lol:

Weekends

Free for all! Cycle to pasir ris see see. Kayak at east coast. Sometimes swimming. Walking along shopping strips in sg... Eat Eat and enjoy...

Diet

No sugar drinks. Damn tough as i have a rather soft spot for sweets... Have to really limit myself. No pastas. Fried stuff reduce.

LOW Carbo high protein high fruits, veggy and tons of soups. (Skim the fat mind u...)

Heavy break fast, Light lunch and dinner. 2 snacks in between, consist either of or a combination of milk/water/fruits/crackers/anythin else i can find.

Important note.

If u want to loose weight always keep in mind to use more then what u put in. Energy wise la.

Exercise is the best way. Pills might be faster but exercise makes u look and feel good inside and outside.

Dont go cold turkey on foods u like. Rather, cut down the freq to say.. once a week and cut the portions too la. (EG, BK BBQ bacon.... MMmmm Have the burger give the soft drinks and fries to yur girlfriend. :lol: So loving.... :evil: )

And u cant loose flab and pile on muscle mass at the same time. Focus on one goal at a time. REsults are more appearent.

My experience! :lol::lol:;)

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member
izzit?

but nowadays folks have to work til 8pm on average so the morning run could be the only alternative lor.

had this recept in my workplace..

she always complain fat, which she is. But everytime when she is doing the complain, she was munching away packet of potato chips/chocolate, just after 1/2 an hr ago when she had her lunch plus some tim sun. :wacko:

haha i know wat u mean man... mouth non stop one. Not busy chatting then busy eating. HAHA!

My Tank

• SRC Member

one thing to take note for guys who tend to exercise everyday. DO NOT ECXEED 90minutes of exercise. over the long run your whole body system will screw up due to too fatigue. i used to jog everynight for around 50min. but stop for some time le. am too busy with my school work. 3rd yr in poly with exams quizes and also 3th yr project. only reach home at around 11 plus 12.(a little too late to jog) ;) gonna restart my exercise regime once my exams ends in 2 weeks time. = )

food wise i reduce my carbo intake. i still take rice. but alot alot lesser. just 1 to 2 mouthful of rice. for dinner take as light as possible. like taking fruits and vegetables. best food for breakfast is actually fruit juice. one good mix is 3 carrots with 1 green apple( for detox)

• SRC Member

simple equation

input = output

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
for those who are married, make more love. i read it before somewhere, maybe readers digest or something.

hey, anyone wanna guess my bmi? its pretty scary. :P

henry

heard some rumors that after Beckham's wife, victoria gave birth, the make love like crazy then she lost so many weight.

:blink:

I tot it should be Berckham loose weight rite, as the seldom heard saying goes:

3 bowls of rice = 1 drop of blood, 3 drop of blood = i drop of "vitamin S".

:lol::lol:

you're rite, i dun quite buy that too.

• SRC Member

try not to go on Atkins diet...its uneffective...in the body, carbohydrates binds to 4 molecules of water while protein binds to one, going on an atkins diet would only mean a reduction in body water..so u are more losing water rather then fats..also, proteins can be hydrolysed to carbohydrates...and that means more burden on liver to deanimate the amino acids into carbos...and so more urea in the body...more thicker and yellow urine results

a sudden stop in carbo intake is also not advised...your body is used to hydrolyse carbo for energy..if u suddenly stop carbo intake...your body cannot adapt and u will feel tired very easily...but rather decrease the carbo intake..or maybe take fruits to suppliment the decrease in carbo intake..fruits have alot of sugars..

also, instead of taking 3 big meals a day, break it up into a few small snacks...when u take 3 big meals, all the digested food will definetely caused a high blood glucose level....this results in the body storing the excess glucose as either fats or glycogen...also, taking 3 meals a day means getting hungry more easily, so taking a few small snack (mind u, snacks can come in fruits or some light fruit and not junk food)...this will prevent the food you eat from becoming stored food (fats and glycogen)...you will not get hungry easily also, and you will then to use more energy then what you are putting in

also, try not to eat after 8..as thats around the time your metabolism rate decreases, however, different people have dofferent times, so guadge yours and try not to eat after that

just my 2 cents

• SRC Member
I have now reached a stage where all the running and exercise will no longer bring my weight down. I guess that my body has gotten used to the regimen and I can only maintain my weight. One way of breaking this body getting used to is to create stress to the body again. Now I am testing out this way of running after some reading/research: On a run, sprint as fast and as long as you can on a stretch and then slow down near to walking to let the heart recover and then sprint off again. Do this for about 20 minutes and I can tell you, its much more difficult than running at a constant speed. As for doing weights, lift/push the heaviest you can for a 5-6 reps and then rest 30 seconds to 1 minutes and then repeat. The old way of doing 10-15 reps at a lighter weight will not create much impact as the heavy weight and low reps.

when u exercise till there is no weight lose, one reason can be you are building muscles, muscles weigh more then fats, so you might be losing fats and building muscles at the same time, so no decrease in wieght...and in any case, muscles incrases your body matebolism rate ;)

• SRC Member

when u exercise till there is no weight lose, one reason can be you are building muscles, muscles weigh more then fats, so you might be losing fats and building muscles at the same time, so no decrease in wieght...and in any case, muscles incrases your body matebolism rate ;)

Yeah true. The weighing scale is only so reliable to a certain extend.

To me the best method is the total body fat test, and the dreaded standing ###### in front of a mirror (In private pls...) method.

Thats the best test to see if u are really getting anywhere with the methods u r using. :angel:

Coz ultimately... dont we all wanna look good with and without clothes? ;)

My Tank