New BLV 14k lights too strong?

tineng

• SRC Member

actually i love the new BLK 14k lights.....however, after talking to people, i realise that other then me, 2 other reefers also faces bleeching issues with some of their corals when switching to the new 14k lamp.....

so just let to hear from other reefers if they have enocuntered the problems and possible some of the actions taken by reefers here to handle this issue....

Yeah I am also very interested to know more.

How is it working for you scarab? :huh:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

Maybe your eyes already tuned for the 20kk so it takes time for your eyes to tuned back to the new BLV14kk.

I saw the BLV14kk 250W DE fired up at ML and it is very white.

The 14kk might be brighter so that might cause the acros to bleach if you didn't reduce the lighting hrs or move the lights higher. This is the same when you change out old bulbs.

• SRC Member

yeah....actually was plaining to moved my up further before changing the bulb.....but was too lazy......

interestingly enough a pink digita that was previously under a 10kk BLV 250w (5 month old)....when moved under the 150w 14kk blv bulb also bleech!!!!

I wonder if bleeching can be caused by a suden change in color temp??? or maybe high time i should change my BLV 10kk bulb....:P

• SRC Member

may be it is time to go down ML and pay a visit. didn't know henry changed his bulb to BLV 14kk.

i tried it for about 3 weeks and it bleeched both my lps on the bottom and sps on top :lol: for those who light looks very yellowish (i have 10kk and my 10kk don't looks yellowish as this), it may be have to do with the ballast. especailly those who run e-ballast. after i have change my bulb to another MH which run with another ballast, it is so much whiter on the top (very white) but at the bottom of my tank is greenish.

may be i go down to ML and have a good look at the henry tank to see the different.

age.png

• SRC Member

I using the BLV 14k 150w.

SO far am very pleased with the spec. Using a 10k b4 and i can say this new bulb is indeed much whiter.

LPS doing fine so far. Light is abt 4" from the surface of the water.

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member

I'm using a single BLV400W(14K) and I notice during the initial fire, it's a bit yellowish and after a while, it turn to white. But not sure it's due to individual eyes or wht as I still feels that it's slightly yellowish rather then bluish! :(

• SRC Member
Hi Lyz 77

We use the new BLV 14.000 K a lot in Germany I never heard and see that it was too strong , also i can never see that is to yellowshit it looks more strong white with a little bit blue

Which ballast you use ?

Greetings

Claude

The ebllast is fr DE!

• SRC Member
HI

I think the best is the mix of MH and T5

There are a lot of good T5 Brands on the market so it depends whats in your tank and what you like for your eyes.

MH has some advantage and also T5

What you have in your tank ?

greetings Claude

I intend to keep both lsp and sps, still cycling my tank.My tank 5 by 2 by 2.5ht

How many T5 or Mh I need. what kelvin should I use? since you are from germany, can I order german stuff from you such as t5 tube?

Good brand such as? how do you comment about ati,d&d? and lately some issue about aquascience 20% better then ati?

Thanks

HI :-)

I think that is a tank with 1.5 m x 0.6 m x 0.7 m

So we use here 2 x 250 or 400 Watt MH with the Colors 10.000 to 14.000 K

The Kelvin is a little bit bad but the most selling brands in germany are

BLV 10 or 14 K than Giesemann Megachrome coral or Marine then AB 13.000 K ( is more yellowish and then UltraNova 12.500K quite white and very bright !

and then we use 4 x 80 Watt T5 also different brands the most will use Giesemann JBL Arcadia some internet guys ATI and also a lot try the new aquascience

I will do normaly 2 x white and 2 x blue

If you want to use only T5 then you take minimum 6 better 8 Tubes or 10

and mix it 75 % white and 25 % blue

In germany they do a big test about the new tubes this article will come in the next days There you can read all ;-)

Greetings Claude

• SRC Member

hi Fauna Marin/ Claude

Welcome to SRC, :peace: you seem to know alot abt this hobby and lightings. There are reefers here calling you expert liao. You must be very famous in germany. :bow::bow::bow:

Maybe you can intro yourself to the members of SRC here so that we can know you better. Which part of Germany you are from, Pics of your tank, your equipments with pics. That will greatly help us understand you better. :thanks::thanks:

Hi

Please call me Claude :-) I work in this buisness but it is also a hobby for me

I know Singapore from several visits during holidays or Shopping tours

my Girlfriend and I found it so nice that we want marriage in SIN

I would like to introduce myself

My name is Claude Schuhmacher and i´am in the aquarist buissnes.

I´am 34 years old and i come from the south of germany

I live in this town where they produced Mercedes Benz near Stuttgart.

I do marine aquaria since 1985

and work there since 1988

sorry for the not correct english

A few tanks you can find on

www.aquarienanlagen.de

I do also something with Tridacna Clams and there is a website

under www.Geile-muscheln.de

At the moment we build a totaly new Warehouse with 60 square meter under water We open the facility end of mai after the interzoo

Two years ago i bulid a facility on Cebu together with the german goverment and the IMAC

so i plan and build a station in CEBU on the philipines to get a better quality and a fair trade system for ornamental fish

During this time i get the Fauna Marin Company and there we produce and developded Products for Marine aquaria

We make special foods water treatment technical products lights, T5 tubes etc.

Then i work till 5 years on germans biggest Forum www.meerwasserforum.info as teammember and also at the biggest Reef live Lexikon www.reeflex.org

My home tank ??

After a long day with aquaria i cannot see any tank in my house ;-)

So we have a lot of Chamaelons at home

I only have a small 100 Liter Test Tank there with Mangrove plants and frogfish

Greetings Claude