My 3.5 footer...at long last! :)

southpaw23

• SRC Member

And the look of the tank with the 14k 150watt MH on top...water was still a lil cloudy when i took the pic...will take a clearer pic over the weekend i guess... :)

post-34-1128328669.jpg

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Actually, the return pipe from the main tank to the sump only dips about 1-2 inches below the water level of the sump. I shortened the pipe before i started the system...Read that if it goes any deeper, it would case the water level in the overflow compartment to fluctuate due to the water pressure below...as it stands, having it at this level works fine...there's just a lil bubbling....

As for the power failure test....that's where the check valve comes in to cut off the siphon from the return pump to the main tank...the return pipe from the main tank will not drain water beyond the level of the durso which is about 3-4 inch from the main tank water level...

Thanks for the heads up tho.... :)

Any more things i should be worrying about or that i haven't taken into account? Comments are welcome to improve my setup. :thanks:

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

What more can I say - Nice setup with much well thought ideas put into it. I'm still waiting for the update of the final outcome when the tank is just ready for LS. Great work and great mind you have.

Effiri

• SRC Member
bro, did u clean the live rocks? dip in fresh water and all?

u will see worms and crabs aloating after that.

wad's the use of buying liverocks in the first place and later rinsing them through fresh water? All the pests will eventually die off during the initial stage of ANN. Not all, but mostly. Nice setup bro. :)

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

Thanks for all the comments, compliments and feedback....

Havent got around to posting much pictures of late as the DC is not with me...will try and get recent pictures soon...

As an update, i just recently scaped the tank and transfered all existing livestock from the 2footer into the tank after around 4 weeks of cycling. All is doing well...tho I'm guilty of not taking water parameters...haven't got my new test kits (the last ones expired... :P)

Astrobol...i agree with you on that....but i believe that there are distinctly two camps with regards to these...some ppl prefer to rid the pest at the expense of the liverock while others prefer to maintain the bio diversity present in the rocks and live iwth the so called pest. Tho i've only maintained nano tanks...i've had no problems with pest crabs thus far so i decided to take the later route and not rinse the rock down...

besides...it was too much trouble and i really didn't want to kill off the other beneficial bacteria, flora and fauna in the rocks.....and when u pay so much for rocks....i'd rather preserve it...else it'll be better to just get dead rock...for cheaper... ;)

Effiri...thanks for droppin by...more pics to come soon...

cheers... ;)

southpaw23's reef

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Wow...this thread really got knocked back in the absence eh?....

Well, got a couple more pictures so here they are...

First one is what the skimmer pulled out in the first week of operations and after about days of the tank cycling without the skimmer on....tank about nasty gunk... :sick:

post-34-1132651957.jpg

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Here was how the tank look after the rescape. Also transfered all my existing livestock from the 2 footer. At this point in time, the tank has been cycling for just over a month...and thankfully, all the livestock made it through the process of the transition.

Left side...

post-34-1132652408.jpg

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Correction...all the livestock made it except the lil toadstool which fell off the rock it was placed and probably swept under the big rocks cos i can't find the lil thing.

And also note the murky water which eventually cleared up the next day...

Right side :)

post-34-1132652514.jpg

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Zoomed in...a lil.... :)

Thats all for now...got more pictures that need to be downloaded and processed. Note that this is not the current condition of the tank...in fact, these photos are almost a month old...kinda slow with the picture processing i guess :P

More to come in a couple of days i guess.... ;)

post-34-1132652732.jpg

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Cos it was just after i got done scaping and transfering my livestock from the 2 footer....

But these pictures are a month old...new pictures to come soon....with clearer water...haha :lol:

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Oh and for those that may be interested....i've started a thread on my new DIY T5-HO set that i've added to the tank. Wanted to get more of a blue hue to the tank.

Here's the link....

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=42108

southpaw23's reef

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Well...still haven't gotten around to getting new pictures :( But took a video of the tank with my treo 650 recently so thought i'd post that up for now. It was taken approximately a week ago, after the purchase of my 3 lil yellow tangs.. :)

Here's the link using Rapidshare....unfortunately, i don't know of any other way to attach this file and Rapidshare will only keep the link active for a certain period of time so if anyone's got a better solution...i'm open to it...

http://rapidshare.de/files/8751475/Video_120105_001.3gp.html

Oh and the file can be viewed through quicktime ;)

guess this will have to tie ya'll over for the meantime.... :P

southpaw23's reef

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Finally got the new camera...but still learning how to take decent shots of the tank. Here's a full tank shot as of 1 week ago. Will have to clean the glass and take clearer shots in the future but here's how the tank looks as of end of 2005 :)

post-34-1136214310.jpg

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

nice tank dere.....more corals to be input and it will look perfect...meanwhile..still lots of room for improvements... :D

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member
bro the corals have some how taken out your center canyon shape

Actually, it's the goniopora that's completely taken over the canyon....the wife really wanted that specimen and didn't know where else to put it so decided to put it in the valley/canyon....still has a cool effect when the clowns are swimming in it and all.... ;)

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member
nice tank dere.....more corals to be input and it will look perfect...meanwhile..still lots of room for improvements... :D

Thanks alvin...yeah....the tank is still someways away from being complete...in the meantime...i'll just sit back and watch it evolve.... :)

ps. Thinkin of a possible rescape....main reason is to catch this pesky teddy bear crab in the tank....and secondly to improve the overall flow in the tank. We'll see if i get around to it eventually.... :P

southpaw23's reef