Neurotoxin

nakazoru

• SRC Member

Handled Zoo for the first time (long enuf) last week when doing tank maintenance.

I used a surgical glove to handle it but only palm covered. After some half hour, my finger became numb and my face/eyes too. Also some burning sensation. I'm fully aware of the toxin but did not know water also will be affected. Only found out later. Only my arms comes in contect with water.

Bros; Share your sensation here and experience...

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
Handled Zoo for the first time (long enuf) last week when doing tank maintenance.

I used a surgical glove to handle it but only palm covered. After some half hour, my finger became numb and my face/eyes too. Also some burning sensation. I'm fully aware of the toxin but did not know water also will be affected. Only found out later. Only my arms comes in contect with water.

Bros; Share your sensation here and experience...

:o so wat happen to ya water ? :(

• SRC Member

think.... bettere and safer to wash ur hands damn clean afterr handling Zoos.... :unsure: recently handled some Zoos but did not wash my hands properly and went to eat my kaya bread. After that found that my tongue a bit numb.. :( Wonder if its due to no proper washing of my hands? :pinch:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member
think.... bettere and safer to wash ur hands damn clean afterr handling Zoos.... :unsure: recently handled some Zoos but did not wash my hands properly and went to eat my kaya bread. After that found that my tongue a bit numb.. :( Wonder if its due to no proper washing of my hands? :pinch:

I have check my hands and finger before handling. Visual Inspection did not indicates any open wounds. After cleaning/handling, notice some part of the skin is a little red from irritation with very tiny red dots in the middle.

Check at RC shows that the zoo toxin is very water soluble. Amazingly no fish is affected by the water.

The irritation I have is nothing major but as a concern I told my wife to note if I go into sizure tell the doc what I did....

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

that sounds pretty serious..

haha..that time i handle zoos..my thumb have a twinkly feeling on it..

ah wells..gave it a rinse with water and soap..and nothing was wrong after that..

• SRC Member

WHAT?! i just bought zoos today after i got my lights and chillers and what do i find?! surgical gloves needed? i just handled them like... nothign leh.. rinse my hands with some water, and soon after came online.

ok erm earlier when i bought em at LFS, handled with bare hands. still fine =) tho i'm gettin a bit itchy.... i think its psychological haha

This mostly happens when you cut them

But I would handle them with gloves on if I were you

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif