Sugar to remove NO3

johntanjm

• SRC Member

yesterday i reading reading about nitrate reduction using sugar on the forum.. then itchy hand, put in 2 table spoon into my 110L tank. now... wah... water damm murky. how how how? change water ah?or my protein skimmer too weak.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

plz read be4 doing things ....

u only pose to add small amount since sugar increases the baterica in your tank which in turn reduces the amount of o2 in your which can lead to death of livestock

the milky water is natural make sure your skimmer is running all the time. it should clear up less than 1 day ...

i use to do this process be4 for my nano tank ... but i never added so much i add like 1/4 of a table spoon per day in my tank

dosing depends on your tank size have a look around in old post on wat dosing u should be doing

plz note this process of reducing no3 is req to have a STRONG skimmer

If it works, we can just dump one 40ft container of sugar near Sentosa and convert it into reef long ago liao. ^-^

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
yesterday i reading reading about nitrate reduction using sugar on the forum.. then itchy hand, put in 2 table spoon into my 110L tank. now... wah... water damm murky. how how how? change water ah?or my protein skimmer too weak.

Try to change 70-90% of your water now and let the water stabilise for a few days. Then you might want to try the 'Sugar' method again, this time try adding 2-3 teaspoons first (if you NO3 is around 35-50ppm).

• SRC Member

geez...this sugar remedy seems so damn risky! It's just not worth it......

Why not tackle the NO3 problem more scientifically.. Rapid reduction can be brought about by a major water change. Try this for example:

Nitrate level is, say 50

Remove 80% of water

Water level now 20%

Add another 20% of new water (total water level now 40%)

Remove half of the water again (back down to 20%).

Add another 20% of new water (total water level now 40%)

Remove half of the water again (back down to 20%).

Refill the tank.

This will take the nitrate level down from 50 to 2.5 immediately. I wouldn't worry about a large volume of new water stressing the inhabitants as they are already sressed with NO3 so high :)

Then tackle the NO3 problem long term by looking at better filtration, feeding/husbandry, etc.

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member

okie.. latest report. took everything out... lucky i did fast enough so all happy and well in an aerated plastic pail. water in the tank is totally screwed.

Just when i wanna sell my tank why must i be so itchy hand. anyway I found a buyer for the tank and equipment already. so i sucked out all the water and he took the tank. anybody interested in LR, very good condition, coraline growing very well. my LS can cheap cheap go also.

Please sms 98375929.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

interesting.. I read the report on sugar dosing posted sometime ago..

and comparing it to me using AZ No3 .. there's some similarities !! :o

it goes cloudy if you overdose .. and the LS will start gasping for air..

hmm wondering if the $38 bottle contains sugar solution ??? :lol:

aquatronica7na.gif

the theory behind adding sugar is that the bacteria hv plenty of surface area, nitrogen and oxygen to work, but the limiting factor is carbon..

so by adding some sugar, u can give that boost to the bacteria, as it contains plenty of carbon..

the prob is, its so effective that there will be a bacterial bloom, the bacteria will multiply super fast..

hence u get cloudy water, and oxygen will be used up v fast..

so must add a bit at a time, plus hv strong aeration, then this method can work..