Anemone shrinking!!!

yellowfin tuna

• SRC Member

hi all,,

my anemone keep for only about a week plus... attached itself to the same position i placed all the while.... doesnt change position at all..... been feeding a cube of mysis shrimp on alternate days... been eating well... sunddenly.. today just change home shrink til veri small..... :(

ph is the same.... nothing drastic happened...

can advice what is the reason and any solutions???? :(:(

• SRC Member
Anemones are very temperamental. They will shrink or expand now & then and it can be due to changes in water, diet, insufficient light etc.

Give it a couple of days and take note of the erratic behaviours. At the moment, I don't see any thing drastic happening.

ok... will monitor.... didnt know they are so sensitive:lol: :thanks:

anyway... within the last two hrs... it is slowly expanding a little... :lol:

• SRC Member

Watch the signs of stringy tentacles and whether the mouth of the anemone is "loose" not signs you want in an anemone.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

in case you have a clown which co-exist with the anemone, then watch for the clown's behaviour as well.

if the clown is avoiding the anemone, then it's probably a tell tale sign of imminent death of the anemone. saying this through my last experience.

I think they are just expelling the slate water in their body... No big problem...

Terryz has said it. It is just due its "breathing". Anemone will always expel stale water and take in fresh water now and then. This is very normal. Usually, once an anemone stabilise in your tank, it is quite hardy.

I have once accidentally tear off 1/3 of my pink anemone and it survive and is healthy as always.

:lol:

in case you have a clown which co-exist with the anemone, then watch for the clown's behaviour as well.

if the clown is avoiding the anemone, then it's probably a tell tale sign of imminent death of the anemone. saying this through my last experience.

hmmm... strange... my clown stayed at my pink BTA until it died.. even after it died, it still hung around the anemone..

• SRC Member

thanxss bros for all your advice and sharing of experiences....

my anemone is fine and growing bigger... eating very well ... feeding it with sliver fish and cubes of mysis shrimp,,,,

:lol::lol::lol:

haha,,,, like the one clown with the insercurity issues.... :lol::lol: but maybe clownie too sad to leave his fren,,, so hung on til it dies off... :cry2::cry2:

• 2 weeks later...

Last time when I overfed my anemone, it shrunk and shrunk... after I stopped feeding it, it began to come back to its previous glory. Then sadly, I had a nitrate bloom and it died soon after. :(

Sometimes it is better to underfeed than overfeed your anemone.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Sorry..borrow the thread to ask a few qns... I read the anemone FAQ.. it states that "anemones will deflate in order to flush wastes out of their system or to balance internal water chemistry......sometimes contains some body slime.."

Anybody can tell me what the colour of the body slime and waste? transparent?

• SRC Member

Ya,it looks like mucus

AG_fishjumping.gif

3.5 X 2.5 X 2.5 Reef Coming up :))

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L

Would you remove the stuff manually? Or would you let your skimmer do the job?

The brown stuff is pretty disgusting so I usually remove them whenever I see then oozing out of my anemone's mouth.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

• SRC Member

Mm...another paragraph of the FAQ states that...."Stringy dark brown substance coming out of the anemore's sign is usually a bad sign....the anemone is expelling its zooxanthellae.."

Mine also shrink one time per one/two days...folllowed by the brown slime out of the mouth.. then will flow into the overflow and "disappear".. About an hour or two, it return to its usual self again...

Just wondering, how to differential them?

post-72-1136308681.jpg